Approved Airband Hand Held Radios

Is the Icom IC-A15 the Only hand held radio currently approved for sale and use in Australia at this time?

I am in the market for a hand held soon and finding it confusing as so my retailers are advertising radio models that appear to be not approved!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are new models supposedly coming out next year. I have 5 of the 15's on back order which should arrive next month but it is also interesting to note that the issue isn't only with the hand helds but also the 210 and 110 which are also no longer available...its really hurting Icom

Not at this stage but depending on my cost i will not be ripping people off and trying to keep them at the same price as before although the dollar isn't as good now as it was before.

I just bought one in the US whilst I was there. ACMA (or what ever they are called now, they seem to change their name every few years) is a joke, and they rarely prosecute. Mine is not approved for use in Australia as far as I know. It was purchased as a) a backup and b) for listening to comms. Chances are it will never transmit a signal ever, but it will ride in my flight bag.

[rant] In saying that, if you were to purchase one overseas and use it airborne, I doubt you will ever come to grief. If ACMA had any balls they would chase up those shitty radios that no one can understand when the pilot makes a broadcast. The whole system is a joke, and not allowing a US model to be used because there is some minor difference radio performance is just some idiot in a government job trying to justify their own position. The US is leaps and bounds ahead of Australia in all forms of aviation and Australia should be using them as a role model. [/rant]

• Agree 7

I think the problem relates to the radios operating essentially from DC to light in the spectrum. Certain of our happy citizens have made a good deal out out selling this spectrum off to the punters. The nations recent foray into Digital TV is one such recent example . I too carry a handheld portable in the flight bag\safety bag. It was selected because it has a die-cast case, can run on AA dry-cell s at reduced power, covers the air band, is small and light and robust. I cary a spare set of dry cells...... If I transmit I will probably be in the shit at the time and will happily pay any fine that my masters deem proper. The difficulty lies with a ramp check. Stay away from flyins.......

The difficulty lies with a ramp check. Stay away from flyins.......

I can understand that using an unapproved radio is illegal, but is simply owning one and having it with you illegal?

rgmwa

No wish to find out. The spectrum management lot seem to have been revived lately. It is likely that the CASA

gentlemen have a checklist for the approved type and act upon the ASMAs behalf. And they can seize stuff.

Owning it is not illegal. Using it is illegal. And, without a spectrum analyser or a bunch of other high-tech equipment they've no proof whatsoever that you used it unless they catch you in the act.

While CASA does appoint Authorised Persons and Investigators under the Civil Aviation Act and the Civil Aviation Regulations, and under certain circumstances they can seize items, the use of a non-ACMA-approved radio does not fall under the CAA or CAR's, it falls under the radiotelecommunications act, over which they have zero jurisdiction. Ergo, CAsA staff cannot seize your airband portable, even if they suspect you've been using it.

Also note that "Authorised Persons" appointed under CAR6 are not the same as "Investigators" appointed under Section 32AA - and it is only "Investigators" that can seize items. So if the ID card of the CAsA bloke says "AP under CAR6", they can't touch your portable - or anything else... The best they could try would be an offence under CAR83 regarding unauthorised transmission if not qualified, or maaaaybe CAR82 "Aircraft must be equipped with such radio system as CAsA approves" if such approval specifies ACMA-accepted gear.

CIVIL AVIATION ACT 1988 - SECT 32AH Seizures related to civil aviation offences(1) This section applies if:

(a) an investigator searches premises with the consent of the occupier, as mentioned in section 32ACA; or

(b) an investigator searches premises in accordance with a warrant that has been issued under section 32AF or 32AG.

(2) The investigator may seize a thing that he or she:

(a) finds in the course of the search; and

(b) believes on reasonable grounds to be evidential material; and

© believes on reasonable grounds needs to be seized to prevent its concealment, loss or destruction, or its use in committing, continuing or repeating a civil aviation offence.

• Like 1

I wont comment on legal issues, but if you were in the air with an approved radio, and an unapproved radio, ACMA would not be able to tell which one you used unless they saw you.. All they could tell is that you were transmitting a signal and then check you gear to make sure its legal.

I would say chance of prosecution is almost nil, given that a paid owner of spectrum cannot get ACMA to investigate or prosecute someone who interferes with that part of the spectrum. ACMA is a joke. ACMA is more worried about content on TV than a rec pilot using an unapproved radio.

• Agree 1

I Had / Have a old handheld, I presume it was approved at one time, SO, how come it's not legal now ( shuuus) the flying club is still using the same model

that I had. NOW have to use LIGHT signals to inform field tower of intentions !. AND laser light is illegal too. ( So is a written note wrapped around a brick)

spacesailor

• Like 1

If your HH was approved when you got it then you can still keep using it. I am not aware of any directive that it isnt. Anyone who purchased a A110 or a A-210 or IC-A6AUS before the directive can keep using them

How about if you buy a second hand one that the original owner purchased when it was still an approved transmitting device?

• 2 years later...

Had a quick look!, The price seems the be anything from $500 to $2500, I couldn't see if it was "self-contained" or needing a power-source, & hard wireing .

I saw another one "in a pod & works on blue-tooth connectivity"

Anything is better than nothing.

spacesailor

IF a person was to have a completly sheilded military grade X and K multiband radar detector would it be capable of detecting RPT traffic at least do you think Kyle. Cheers Mick

radar detector