Approved Airband Hand Held Radios

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have electronically steered panels nowdays...for reasonable range. lots of power though..these things emit 10kw plus bursts at very short timings like milliseconds. You dont have a big enough alternator :) A lot of the modern warships have this style of radar TX and capture regeims

" Is the Icom IC-A15 the Only hand held radio currently approved for sale and use in Australia at this time? "

Back to you WayneL.

All the radio's here in Australia are really.  still illegal !

The legal spec radio has Not been made, and when the legal replacement's arrive   Guess what.

This years New Hand-Helds will AGAIN be illegal

So spend your $ 300 plus now & be worried next year. or buy a cheapy & be worried Now. LoL

spacesailor

WOW

I didn't get bitten over my radio rant.

It's not the retailer's fault. it's that Bureaucratic Government department.  Sitting on their Arrrrses think of way's to LOOK busy !.

( each time I write   "Bureaucratic" I have to get that OLD Tatty paper book to look it up).

spacesailor

G,day Kyle, your right mate,  by the spec,s of the detector model i,m thinking of and having been a pax in a vehicle driving past active static and mobile tax units while it was working i,m convinced its sheilded against the so called road safety radar which is only a revinue raising government tax after all eh.   Cheers Mick

HARGRAVES

They changed the frequency of the detectors & camera's way back, so they wont work now.

BUT the larger radar units at airports & maybe on large aircraft could have a signal strong enough to make that old unit beep !.

We need the frequency of said radar to get a receiver to "hear" it. as opposed to having an :AB S transceiver.

spacesailor 

Hi spacesailer I,ll try to recontact the guy to find out re current effectiveness, but i am only going back a couple of years and his unit cancelled tax well then.

I've always wanted to know...

What makes our radio regime so different from the rest off the aviation world that we cant use overseas (handhelds only??) radios in australia? (That is besides bloody minded bureaucracy) 

I cant imaging that international airlines have radios certified specifically for OZ, so why/ what is different here?

Marconi electronics and AWA Australia were world leaders in radio telemetry in the early days and set very high standards for the rest to follow. I think it possible that despite the fact that here at home it was not backed or funded much at all by goverments and consequently languished and fell behind the others, coupled with successive leaders abrigation of responsibility in favor of (contractors) like CASA that their still exists an illusion of elitism on the subject amongst some of those contractor types hence the differance. Just my impressions  cheers Hargraves

I've always wanted to know...What makes our radio regime so different from the rest off the aviation world that we cant use overseas (handhelds only??) radios in australia? (That is besides bloody minded bureaucracy) 

I cant imaging that international airlines have radios certified specifically for OZ, so why/ what is different here?

Actually the australian specs are higher than the rest of the world. Not by much but enough to be problematic. But I dont think this is the issue. Its got to do with a time out timer when the radio is transmitting. No one else in the world requires this TOT but we do and because the radios dont have it fitted in software they bounced them. But the fall back position is they can run on a dispensation...same as "fly on condition". 

Will Australia now look at moving to the same frequency spacing as per Europe, as well as the time out timer.

The not noticed the rest of the World studying  the "time out timer " problem, or is it just a gimmick to up the price.

As the World has Heterodyne problems too. (single-side-band reduced carrier, seemed to work on CB radios.)

spacesailor

Icom have been having a new model "coming in a few months" for 3 or 4 years now that is compliant with the newer Australian rules. You have to wonder though if it is really worth it for them. They would be lucky to sell more than a few hundred a year and while they can still sell to the old ones because of the exemption why would they bother. They effectively have a monopoly already...

NOBODY

That's my point, If they put the "time out timer " piece into the new European (25khz or is it 12.5khz)  We could be the forerunner's of the world.

That's got to be good for someone.

spacesailor

Well' there you have the solution to everyone's Problem 

The new 8.33 khz spec radio with the New  "time out timer " and the world will beat a path to the door of the manufacturer.

Who's going to chat-up a radio gear maker. As well as Australian government department.

spacesailor 

Just did a search for ICOM IC-A15 - most prices within a fairly tight band $325- 375. However one stand out offering, from Gum Tree is  a new unit for $299 + $18 postage (supposedly with all usual inclusions "in the box"  and a headset adaptor (OPC-499) for a further $79.

When I asked about Australian complacence I received an interesting response "These radios are VHF and will communicate with Australian Aircraft as-well-as overseas" - not exactly what I had asked.

The response came, via Gum Tree, from:

"HR Manager: Maxwell Albenyr  

Hangzhou Yongdian Co.ltd

Add:5th Floor,Building B, NO.214 Wanfeng zhong road,Shajing Street,Baoan

District,ShenZhen,China"

I would be interested in your observations