29 RA-Aus deaths in 29 months

it's times like this ( weather ) you accumulate brownie points at home, and when that blue stuff arrives...........your gawn.

( mind you, plan B......moan and groan, get under her skin, invade her space etc, she'll be glad to see the back of you )

Both plans work for me.......

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Andys@coffs

June down south of the QLD border, is normally our drier time of year, we too have had significantly more overcast and wet days than I recall from my youth. Over night lows are also much higher (same reason) so far from a non flying perspective June has been very mild...

Glad I put a bit of Moreys in the avgas.....if I didn't the steel bores would be corroded and I'd be fighting poor leakdowns......

Andy

What really concerns me is that most of the posters on this thread actually get airborne from time to time. ( Bull, that includes you and I )

I went flying last Wednesday and it was a great flight. Thanks.

• Winner 1

I don't mean to rub it in but at YQDI we have been having the most beautiful flying weather with nearly every day being cloudless and windless and thermalless, which reminds me I better take some time and fill in the 'tell us about your last flight' thread:wink:

• Like 1

5/3/13 was a Streak 3 and 27/4/14 was an SST. Not sure about the NT accident - possibly a topless

Thanks John..

Do you see any similarities amongst the trike accidents of late..?

Wing type, air quality, experience.. etc.

Another.. or anymore trike deaths is not on.. for Australia.

Bull, The place to be is Dayton Ohio. Fantastic group of real ultralighters there. Find them on Facebook

Thanks ozzie!...I have....https://www.facebook.com/daytonultralights?fref=ts

Frank.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Crezzi
Do you see any similarities amongst the trike accidents of late..?

Wing type, air quality, experience.. etc.

Another.. or anymore trike deaths is not on.. for Australia.

I don't have a great deal of information but, both here & overseas, there don't seem to be many accidents with low/medium performance wings

Inquest findings into the NT trike accident http://www.nt.gov.au/justice/courtsupp/coroner/documents/2014/Inquest%20findings%20into%20Neil%20McNab.pdf

Cheers

John

I don't have a great deal of information but, both here & overseas, there don't seem to be many accidents with low/medium performance wingsInquest findings into the NT trike accident http://www.nt.gov.au/justice/courtsupp/coroner/documents/2014/Inquest findings into Neil McNab.pdf

Cheers

John

Interesting the torque roll of the 2 stroke to the left (as the Pilot was accustomed to) and that the 912 spinning in the opposite direction has a torque roll to the right which unfortunately as it was that wing dropping and it appears the Pilot added power to attempt recovery, this action appears to have compounded the situation.

Interesting the torque roll of the 2 stroke to the left (as the Pilot was accustomed to) .

I would suggest, it had a lot more to do with the pilot not being accustomed to the increased roll rate of the smaller wing and not being current with the correct inputs for recovery, than any opposite torque roll.

• Agree 1

Interesting the torque roll of the 2 stroke to the left (as the Pilot was accustomed to) and that the 912 spinning in the opposite direction has a torque roll to the right which unfortunately as it was that wing dropping and it appears the Pilot added power to attempt recovery, this action appears to have compounded the situation.

Sorry, but I think you are barking up the wrong tree here. Skeptic's explanation is more on the money

• Agree 2

I would suggest that after reading the coroners report that the pilot was

1. Unfamiliar with the handling characteristics of the new trike

2. Conducting manoeuvres below 500 ft

3. Showing off to a certain degree which certainly contributed to his demise

As I have said many times aircraft are not dangerous, we as humans are the weak link

• Agree 3

I would suggest, it had a lot more to do with the pilot not being accustomed to the increased roll rate of the smaller wing and not being current with the correct inputs for recovery, than any opposite torque roll.

Sorry, but I think you are barking up the wrong tree here. Skeptic's explanation is more on the money

So your saying it didn't COMPOUND the situation ??

I would say NO as the term "torque roll" sounds interesting in theory but very rarely if ever would exhibit itself on a modern weight shift such as was flown. I am aware of the pilot and aircraft in this incident as he trained down south.

I'm saying that the effect was minuscule compared to the difference in roll characteristics from the wing he was familiar with, the fact that he added power, ( and I would speculate that he pushed out on the control bar trying to gain altitude but only succeeded in tightening the turn) and this all occurring without room to recover.

• Agree 1