29 RA-Aus deaths in 29 months

Planes don't kill people, people kill themselves unfortunately in planes at times, HP or LP there is no difference, the organisation has come a long way from 300ft limit and not crossing public roads.

Each to their own HP or LP, fly as safe as you can and make good decisions might just keep you alive a lot longser

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it hasn't been happening. The silly accidents, the ones where the engine stops and the pilot site there and just lets the aircraft fall out of the sky have been at the upper end of the scale, indicating a hopeless lack of training, hopeless assessment or someone gaining a certificate who was totally unable to discharge the skills required to make a forced landing.However, the big picture, the part to be focused on is the 29 deaths in 29 months, which have come from ALL SECTORS.

I don't know how you arrive at the conclusion that it's all the result of a hopeless lack of training. Anyone with a pilot certificate has been trained on what to do in the event of engine failure, stall, incipient spin and so on.

That post with the coroner's report about the replica spitfire stall is concerning , inasmuch as, if he was half the pilot his friend reckon he was, there is no way that he didn't know his aircraft was overweight, and the effect that would have on it's flight envelope. It would appear that a few people were hell bent on blaming anyone the could except the the pilot.

We have to more training than we've ever had to do before, and what has it achieved?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

For my edification , could you identify some of these high performance aircraft? Surely no one is using the original RAAus definition. Also, of those who wish to build to the older categories, who has had barriers put up to prevent them doing so.? Nev

As you can read i,ll assume you are just fishing ,,,,you can read accident reports like all us ULTRALIGHT pilots can.......................

I'm interested in what you base your statements on. So far I'm not impressed with the response and I have elaborated on that. What's this ULTRALIGHT thing Bull? How about knocking my argument rather than inferring some lack of qualification. Nev

I was a member of the Ultralight Aircraft Association of Australia many years ago - Pitts S-1 and Thorpe T-18 are two examples of types included back then. The Pitts is a classic rag and tube airplane.

• Haha 1

Dont understand why your so keen to divide the aircraft types and pilots Bull

2 died recently in rag and tube too.

Number of deaths is appaling and we have to work to reduce it. As RAa has stated something like 80% are human factor related and that flows accross all aircraft types

I recall discussion on high accident rates in "old AUF" despite severe limiations and aircraft many only suited to calmer flight conditions.

• Agree 2

With a relatively small number of pilots overall the high rate could be an abberation. Whatever the situation I agree of the fact, that a certain number of people died, That figure would not be considered satisfactory and it needs to be carefully analysed and steps taken to rectify the situation. It doesn't need any knee jerk reaction as it's not of the nature of an epidemic where you catch something. Each accident is independent of the others, unless it's a mid air or there are copycat issues. Nev.

• Informative 1

I'm interested in what you base your statements on. So far I'm not impressed with the response and I have elaborated on that. What's this ULTRALIGHT thing Bull? How about knocking my argument rather than inferring some lack of qualification. Nev

Ultralight thing,,, as in,, the whole basis that the freedoms from GA regulation and requirements where based apon, which you and your GA mates seem to think are now your excuse to not meet the GA requirements BUT fly GA aircraft with GA privliges . And dont seem to be doing a good job at that as you are killing yourselves really quickly.......

Also if your GA mates keep crashing high performance GA aircraft under the privligages that were for TRUE ULTRALIGHT aircraft in AUSTRALIA you,ll $%#$#@ it up for safe affordable{which by the way you guys have very sneakely replaced with accessable}aviation for all, not just the rich boys...Am i the only one who noticed that in the latest sports pilot,,,,,,,,

• Agree 1

I was a member of the Ultralight Aircraft Association of Australia many years ago - Pitts S-1 and Thorpe T-18 are two examples of types included back then. The Pitts is a classic rag and tube airplane.

BUT and this is a big BUT ,those aircraft DID NOT MEET THE all up weight requirments to be called ULTRALIGHTS did they,,,,,,

• Agree 1

Dont understand why your so keen to divide the aircraft types and pilots Bull2 died recently in rag and tube too.

Number of deaths is appaling and we have to work to reduce it. As RAa has stated something like 80% are human factor related and that flows accross all aircraft types

I recall discussion on high accident rates in "old AUF" despite severe limiations and aircraft many only suited to calmer flight conditions.

Because mate the quasi ga brigade are costing the true ULTRALIGHT pilot who only requires to fly around his patch the freedoms to do so,and as members of the so called RAA are paying so you can fly to Tullamarine and do 190 knots for 6 hours ...

Guest ozzie

UAAA should not be confused with the Minimum Aircraft (ANO 95:10) of the same period. Ultralights were heavier homebuilts similar to what the SAAA were overseeing at that time as well as being VH registered

Thank you Ossie ,and anything over 544 kg should still be under SAAA and BE GA REGO,D and licenced ,so they can continue to kill themselves without effecting SAFE {safe,, AFFORDABLE aviation for all}

Th

Ultralight thing,,, as in,, the whole basis that the freedoms from GA regulation and requirements where based apon, which you and your GA mates seem to think are now your excuse to not meet the GA requirements BUT fly GA aircraft with GA privliges . And dont seem to be doing a good job at that as you are killing yourselves really quickly.......

This is totally ridiculous, I hold a current PPL and a RAA instructor rating, have owned a trike, a Cessna 172, 2 x J230 and a Sportstar. I love RAA aircraft as they are a pleasure to maintain and fly. I would NEVER own a GA plane again as the maintenance is a nightmare as I am a motor mechanic I felt unsafe after some LAME's had performed work, they are thirsty on fuel and I mostly flew two up, I very seldom carried four. Hangarage for a larger plane is expensive.

I'm pretty sure when the membership of RAA increased dramatically it was because GA pilots joined to enjoy self maintenance and driver licence medical. This is how it should be for non commercial flying.

Don't forget the RAA pilot certificate is equivalent to an RPL so you can fly GA planes !

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

To all 95.10 flyers who have had enough of this shit,I propose we keep our aircraft fully airworthy and in top condition and also do our taxi runs down our strips on our own properties and Keep our fully licenced and rego,d trailers up to scratch as well ,and NOT PAY RAA anything recind our membership of this QUASI organisation and DARE some of you FAKE GA people running RAA do do anything about it. Try doing that to car collecters that keep cars in very good condition and drive them on private property without having to belong to ANY organisation also the no LEGAL requirements to do so ,and see how much that will cost RAA to have an INSPECTOR on every 10 square miles of private property in AUSTRALIA to ensure that during one of our fast taxi runs our WHEELS accidentily leave the ground, and the costs of PERCECUTING said 95.10 COLLECTERS for breaching their monopoly[as in the ONLY way} RULES................................

RAA will never please everyone, I enjoy the privileges RAA affords me, I appreciate the aircraft I fly and have flown, I had my time of 60kts for 8 years with my trike and enjoyed it immensely, it was my choice to buy a faster aircraft and I don't regret it, I am not so much grounded these days by the winds as I used to be with the trike and I am no more at risk flying a faster aircraft.

We are all aviators whether rag & tube or 3 axis and we all fly for different reasons.

I fly for the freedom and the view it gives me & I have a healthy respect for the activity I participate in.

Each to their own I say

• Agree 11

To all 95.10 flyers who have had enough of this ****,I propose we keep our aircraft fully airworthy and in top condition and also do our taxi runs down our strips on our own properties and Keep our fully licenced and rego,d trailers up to scratch as well ,and NOT PAY RAA anything recind our membership of this QUASI organisation and DARE some of you FAKE GA people running RAA do do anything about it. Try doing that to car collecters that keep cars in very good condition and drive them on private property without having to belong to ANY organisation also the no LEGAL requirements to do so ,and see how much that will cost RAA to have an INSPECTOR on every 10 square miles of private property in AUSTRALIA to ensure that during one of our fast taxi runs our WHEELS accidentily leave the ground, and the costs of PERCECUTING said 95.10 COLLECTERS for breaching their monopoly[as in the ONLY way} RULES................................

Of course you are perfectly entitled to do that. If you are not a member of RAA and you are not flying an RAA registered aircraft then technically you are nothing to do with RAA. I presume the clown flying his trike around the Lilydale, Ringwood, Mooroolbark area at low altitude is one of those people. However flying without a licence is an offence same as driving without a licence.

" If you are not a member of RAA and you are not flying an RAA registered aircraft then technically you are nothing to do with RAA. "

Exactly - it is then a matter between yourself and CASA. Good luck with that, particularly if a complaint is received.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

That's a good way to destroy sport aviation.

Sports aviation has been around a lot longer than RAA and still exists as in SAAA ,my gripe is false pretences of the quasi GA clan that has taken over an organisation formed for and to cater to,,,ULTRALIGHTS

RAA will never please everyone, I enjoy the privileges RAA affords me, I appreciate the aircraft I fly and have flown, I had my time of 60kts for 8 years with my trike and enjoyed it immensely, it was my choice to buy a faster aircraft and I don't regret it, I am not so much grounded these days by the winds as I used to be with the trike and I am no more at risk flying a faster aircraft.We are all aviators whether rag & tube or 3 axis and we all fly for different reasons.

I fly for the freedom and the view it gives me & I have a healthy respect for the activity I participate in.

Each to their own I say

All good so long as a USER PAYS system is introduced,,why do i ,who never flys more than 20 miles from my patch ,have to pay so you can fly to sydney/brisbane tullamarine at 160 kts for 6 hours etc etc etc etc etc ....

" If you are not a member of RAA and you are not flying an RAA registered aircraft then technically you are nothing to do with RAA. " 

Exactly - it is then a matter between yourself and CASA. Good luck with that, particularly if a complaint is received.

Well worth the rap sheet to find out ,i think,,the occassional fine of a couple hundred dollars every 5 to 10 years is still way cheaper than paying for the Quasi GA clan to fly into controlled airspace etc etc etc etc

• Caution 1