Competition flying

Is there any form of competition flying for ultralights in oz? Would be good to see and participate in.. I know there is the world airgames.. And uk and european comps. Could we have state comps then winner goes to nationals then a team is selected for worlds..

• Like 1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

me too. . . . . they have flour bombing and balloon popping in other countries. not sure if it legal here.

but we could fly somewhere and see who can drink the most coffees, eat the most donuts.

that should keep the boffins at bay hahaha! All jokes aside it could be good, what were you thinking Ricky.

• Agree 1

Flour bombing and popping balloons were popular back in the day. But now with our bleading heart you cant do this or that laws. Good luck.

Ps- you might find a spot landing competition somewhere, but that is probably outlawed as having too much fun as well.

• Agree 1

There is a NSW Comp for GA which I think is still affiliated with the Royal Federation of Aeroclubs. I have recently started talking with them about including an RAAus category. The comp includes a Spot Landing, Simulated Forced Landing and either streamer cut or flour bomb.

The landings have a ground score and air score (an instructor is carried to assess the air component). This is an excellent way of keeping practice in some basic skills and associated cockpit drills.

Why can't our authorised bodies get involved in something like this? I think it would be good for all. as a newcomer

and watching many videos/links on the internet I kinda wish we could have local comps to increase proficiency and safety, promote the sport and build networks.

I've had extensive experience as both a competitor and event organiser, although not recently. There would not be many better ways of refining and maintains basic flying skills, with the added bonus of the social aspects. I might raise this with the Ops Manager.

• Like 1

Gympie ran a comp a couple of years ago which included spot landing and flour bombing. I'm not sure if they have done any since or plan for more.

I would certainly like to compete , It'd be great fun and a test of skill .

JimG

Thats the spirit :) i done a couple of rounds in the uk, they do nave ex.. Soaring ex with fuel limits.. (And emegegency reserve but use more than allowed costs points... I was also lucky enough to train at flylight aurspirts in the uk who have multiple world and europeen champs.. Paul dewhurst..and done my gft with rob grimwood also multiple world champ... The social side is great the banter better and christ it sharpens your flying skills and i need that lol....

http://microlightcomps.org/index.php/events/categoryevents/3-european-microlight-championship

• Agree 1

We used to have comps at Tumut many years ago. Spot landing and forced landing with flour bomb , however the flour bomb was deleted in later years as it is illegal to drop things from aircraft without permission from mummy. :). All good fun and helps hone skills( not sure what skill flour bombing improved, but hey, it was fun). Tom

Tumut many years ago...

We lived in Tumut from 1956 to 1958 and dad would often take us to watch the Tiger Moths doing streamer cutting, flour bombing and so on. All of them were silver in colour. I guess that is when it started for me.

It was an exciting place in those days, with the Snowy scheme going flat out.

If you want to get into the world air games or international comps or have your comps recognized internationally the Australian comp need to be organised through an association that is part of the Australian member of the FAI - that is the Air Sport Australia Confederation

- RAA is not affiliated with them so we cannot currently have anything to do with international events or comps as RAA members/pilots/aircraft

- HGFA is affiliated so for weightshift microlights and pilots flying through HGFA there is the international option.

Same with FAI international records - they have to be organised through the Australian member organisation and from my experience they do not even respond to queries from RAA members as we are not part of a member organisation.

Comps can be fun and improve your skills but equally they can encourage not quite so safe practice ... ever watched a competition microlight spot landing comp? look on youtube and decide if you want to see that at your airfield :-/

And for pylon racing etc the risk is that they require low level endorsement and again encourage very steep banking that technically falls into aerobatics - again not within the current allowance for ultralights. And if you doubt the risking involved in this there is a major UK microlight manaufacturer who ended up with a mandated change to the wings of ALL its aircraft as a direct result of a pilot low level practicing for pylon racing in a microlight where they pulled so great a G that they tore the wing fabric ...

• Like 1

It DOES give you an opportunity to fly the limits and I'm glad I did it at the time, but you want something like a new Tiger Moth that you will black out in before the wings come off. Dogfighting and balloon busting and streamer cutting. Don't do it in the RAAus stuff. It's NOT strong enough and others may fly the plane after you do and YOU have overstressed it, so it's not airworthy any more. Nev

It may have those limits but are they ultimate? (Without the 150%). 6 and 3 are not enough for me. They might be enough for prescribed aeros, but that's not the point I'm making. Nev

Whether the airframe is strong enough or not aeros are not currently permitted in RAA aircraft or HGFA aircraft.

Not sure we want to be going into aeros or low level extreme flight ... neither are particularly essential to safe flight and I would aregue detract from safe flight when undertaken without training (been there, done the training and still do not fly like that in ultralights/microlights).

From experience even a small 'water bomb' balloon at 60mph from a ballast drop run in a competition will dent a corrugated steel wall when it misses the mark ... not too keen for that to hit an actual person.

Correct, but a blanket statement that Raaus airframes are not strong enough isn't correct.

The Sonex airframe doesn't know if the are VH letters or Raaus numbers on the side.

IF you read what I said I specifically mentioned three manoeuvers, not aerobatics. Some aeros can be done in utility aircraft loaded to less than max AUW and are specified and it's not likely you will lose control and stress the plane. What I'm describing, you may, and the plane must be able to take it.

Nothing in operating a plane under RAAus rules mentions doing aerobatics. Extra inspections are part of operating aircraft doing aerobatics.

Nowhere did I mention low level either.. Nev