My baby finally standing on her own 2 feet

Guest SrPilot
Well, 3 wheels.

Congratulations.107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif

Continue your build; don't fall into the trap of pushing it around the yard making motor sounds.

Congratulations.107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gifContinue your build; don't fall into the trap of pushing it around the yard making motor sounds.

Dont listen to him , sit in it and Dream , only make noises when you know your alone ........... Otherwise ....?

• Haha 1

Thanks for the feed back.

Yeah I know there is still a lot to do, but it's just satisfying to see things slowly taking shape..

A good build so far, everything just fits together.

Regarding corrosion, using what the factory recommended, Cortec.

The Only Mod so far is to do away with the bungee.

Regards Keith

Thanks for the feed back.Yeah I know there is still a lot to do, but it's just satisfying to see things slowly taking shape..

A good build so far, everything just fits together.

Regarding corrosion, using what the factory recommended, Cortec.

The Only Mod so far is to do away with the bungee.

Regards Keith

Hi Kieth, what did you use to replace the bungee

I've been wondering about that for sometime. What do you think of it now that it's fitted and what about ease of a retro fit

It's very easy to fit, drill 2 holes for the rods to pass through to secure the top cap on, spring fits inside the leg. The rods that hold on the cap slide over the pin that the bungee curved under. drill two holes for split pins. done.. They are excellent quality, about $500 from memory. I am very happy with it.

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

The WAC Spirit which is like a Super Savannah uses a coil spring also. You can see it in the attached photo. It also has a screw adjustment at the top so spring tension is also adjustable.

Obviously it is going to be less maintenance and probably last longer than the bungee.

image.jpg.8683e80d379e2c080e1622474ddc527f.jpg

Guest SrPilot
Dont listen to him , sit in it and Dream , only make noises when you know your alone ........... Otherwise ....?

No, no. It is better for him to sacrifice today's pleasures so that he can escape the surly bonds of Earth in his life time.

Putt-putting around the yard with a partially finished airplane won't get the job done!

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,

I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air. . . .

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue

I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace

Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —

And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

— John Gillespie Magee, Jr

Magee didn't do yard noises. Procrastination on the builder's part will not an airplane make. j 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

How do you know ? Your an astro naut are you ?

All work and no play ..... so they say ,

Back when jabiru first started ; one of the first kits , made by the the "tooth fairy " at Bundaberg , the local ABC radio interviewed him and " cookie " his mate ,

They are both on record and went on air sitting in the half completed fuse making all sorts of airplane noises to there harts content .

They did complete it , and went on to achive similar highs of excellence ,

We all carnt be an astronaut

Guest SrPilot
How do you know ? Your an astro naut are you ?All work and no play ..... so they say , . . . . We all carnt be an astronaut

Neither astronaut nor expert I be, but I once taught a German Shepherd how to bark in Spanish. . . . . and, well I did finish a project never finished by the original builder, and built another airplane from a kit (but it took me 6 1/2 years to do it!!!). :-)

My comments to keith.b started with "congratulations" and 10/10 in honest recognition and support of his achievements to date. But I also encouraged him on. Everyone should do the same. Homebuilding an airplane can be a long, arduous, sometimes lonely task, and encouragement and light-hearted humor doesn't hurt. On that, Avocet, I would think you would agree. As someone who it appears not only built but also designed an airplane, I would surmise that you spent many, many hours on task when you could have been watching a football game on TV or pushing your project around making motor sounds. Congratulations to you too for your accomplishment.

Today's a day of opportunity; so is tomorrow. Unless opportunity is seized day-by-day, it can take 6 1/2 years to finish some projects, and some never get finished. Time and opportunity only wait for the Dos Equis man ("The most interesting man in the world.").

I guess I have always bought some of the points made by, or at least attributed to Confucius. One of the more well known is: "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Every builder experiences that if they simply open the box and pull out the parts they ordered. They made the single step, but the journey has but just begun.

Now the rest of the journey awaits. And Confucius noted that "It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."

We should encourage our friends who undertake such exceptional, monumental, prodigious projects even though we be not astronauts or experts. Just other pilots and aircraft owners some of whom have spent the evenings week after week, month after month, year after year building an airplane and reaping the benefits for our tenacity.

In that vein, keith.b, here's a couple of reminders for your workspace.

upload_2015-6-16_10-0-37.png.f50952392883de3a3ce516ca0aa5196d.png

Best wishes on your project. Go for it!

upload_2015-6-16_10-0-27.png.2663215b2b65e9cea2dd59eaa4afb7ef.png

It's very easy to fit, drill 2 holes for the rods to pass through to secure the top cap on, spring fits inside the leg. The rods that hold on the cap slide over the pin that the bungee curved under. drill two holes for split pins. done.. They are excellent quality, about $500 from memory. I am very happy with it.

I'll order one this month, Thanks Keith.

I'll order one this month, Thanks Keith.

I don't think you'll regret it, it's such a simple well manufactured easy to install replacement for the bungee.

You could also try the zenith 701 - 750 forums, to see if any are flying.. to get their feedback.

Regards Keith.

Neither astronaut nor expert I be, but I once taught a German Shepherd how to bark in Spanish. . . . . and, well I did finish a project never finished by the original builder, and built another airplane from a kit (but it took me 6 1/2 years to do it!!!). :-)My comments to keith.b started with "congratulations" and 10/10 in honest recognition and support of his achievements to date. But I also encouraged him on. Everyone should do the same. Homebuilding an airplane can be a long, arduous, sometimes lonely task, and encouragement and light-hearted humor doesn't hurt. On that, Avocet, I would think you would agree. As someone who it appears not only built but also designed an airplane, I would surmise that you spent many, many hours on task when you could have been watching a football game on TV or pushing your project around making motor sounds. Congratulations to you too for your accomplishment.

Today's a day of opportunity; so is tomorrow. Unless opportunity is seized day-by-day, it can take 6 1/2 years to finish some projects, and some never get finished. Time and opportunity only wait for the Dos Equis man ("The most interesting man in the world.").

I guess I have always bought some of the points made by, or at least attributed to Confucius. One of the more well known is: "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Every builder experiences that if they simply open the box and pull out the parts they ordered. They made the single step, but the journey has but just begun.

Now the rest of the journey awaits. And Confucius noted that "It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."

We should encourage our friends who undertake such exceptional, monumental, prodigious projects even though we be not astronauts or experts. Just other pilots and aircraft owners some of whom have spent the evenings week after week, month after month, year after year building an airplane and reaping the benefits for our tenacity.

In that vein, keith.b, here's a couple of reminders for your workspace.

[ATTACH=full]36363[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]36364[/ATTACH]

Best wishes on your project. Go for it!

Thanks for the positive feedback and encouragement, I know it takes a huge commitment to take on such a big project, I started the kit last December, and try to do as many hours as possible, every week making sure I tick off a few tasks. (last week landing gear) I do also work Full time (65-70 hours a week) So I'm very happy with my progress to date.

I have also completed the rudder and horizontal stabilizer. I am enjoying the build so much, in a way I don't want it to end.

I'm of to Oshkosh next month, hopefully pick some ideas and accessories.....

Regards Keith.

Guest SrPilot
Thanks for the positive feedback and encouragement, I know it takes a huge commitment to take on such a big project, I started the kit last December, and try to do as many hours as possible, every week.

Keith, it appears that you have done well in the time you've been on task. Have you been to OSH before?

It was daunting to me on my first visit in the 1970s that - believe it or not - I can still remember the visit very well. On the second day of that trip, I realized that I'd spent the first day running here to yon and had only worn my self out. I had accomplished nothing else. So I sat down, made a list, checked it twice, laid out a plan of action, got out an airport map, developed my itinerary, and accomplished oh so much more on that day. Now when I go to either OSH or Sun 'n Fun, I have a plan, and I work my plan. I may look like a tourist with my map and lists, but I come home with the goods.

Enjoy your trip. If I get to go, I may see if any of you lads would be up to a couple of minutes chat with a guy from way-way away. We all speak "airplanes." :-)

I will be watching for your reports Keith. Take care. j

Keith, it appears that you have done well in the time you've been on task. Have you been to OSH before?It was daunting to me on my first visit in the 1970s that - believe it or not - I can still remember the visit very well. On the second day of that trip, I realized that I'd spent the first day running here to yon and had only worn my self out. I had accomplished nothing else. So I sat down, made a list, checked it twice, laid out a plan of action, got out an airport map, developed my itinerary, and accomplished oh so much more on that day. Now when I go to either OSH or Sun 'n Fun, I have a plan, and I work my plan. I may look like a tourist with my map and lists, but I come home with the goods.

Enjoy your trip. If I get to go, I may see if any of you lads would be up to a couple of minutes chat with a guy from way-way away. We all speak "airplanes." :-)

I will be watching for your reports Keith. Take care. j

First time to the US... Thanks for the advice, I have started a mud map, I'll ensure I have a more detailed plan before I leave.

Regards Keith.

Coils springs are not light. A lot use air for that reason. Nev

Yes they add a bit of extra weight, But I am keeping track of the weight and will ensure to save it elsewhere if need be.

Regards Keith.

Keep practicing your engine noises until you get them sounding like the real thing, then when you do get an engine failure in flight you can use those back up engine sounds to overcome that deathly silence and experience a stress less outlanding. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif.

Alan.

• Haha 2