Drifter Heaven

BJFly

You sure get to use your plane, Frank. By contrast I sold my Fisher today. Have to alter my details in the interests of accuracy. Nev

Yes, Nev! I don`t want to get rusty, weather permitting, I go up every couple of days, I fly for the joy of flying.

Yes to you also,BJ! Beautiful scenery, it is...I flew a lot up there, in the early days, hadn`t been over the Gillies Range for a while though so I decided I needed to do it again.

Frank.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple more photos of yesterday`s flight...For those who might think otherwise, due to the photos, at all times, my flight was within gliding distance of a landing area...I flew the area many times, without incident, in the early days.

Approaching the Gillies Range.

1077109352_GilliesRaingeahead.(Large).jpg.6892c203a4f454ec2b173ef764ce2503.jpg

Going over the Gillies Range.

1726713716_GoingovertheGilliesRange.(Large).jpg.5e849dba4a488ac913d62aaf08dc05e4.jpg

Frank.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

All fun planes. Drifters are special... CASA are reluctant to grant approval for other than standard (Which is left hand) circuits. Years back any reason was OK, but not now. Nev

Two strips I fly out around here have designated R/H circuits on certain runway directions due to terrain on one side. Clifton is one of them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Drifter heaven, yet again!.....This morning`s flight around the Babinda area....It was the first flight in an Ultralight aircraft, for Stohm (12 years of age) and his Mum, Leone.....Leone is the daughter of Michael and Maria, who live on their, cruising Catamarane, moored in the Mulgrave river, here at Deeral...Michael and Maria, have both flown with me previously....Stohm and Leaone are here till Christmas and they want to go up again! I`ve promised to take them.

Heading to Babinda.

2127245784_ToBabinda.1(Large).jpg.f737d5ebf49484c9afcd64d6191a9820.jpg

Babind Ahead.

2039472089_BabimdaAhead.(Large).jpg.74867d082681729356a3f2d2436b2f2d.jpg

Leone.

1365129325_Leone.(Large).jpg.78f4719aa94d8bd6d07bc576849ac0c5.jpg

Stohm and Leone, after the flight.

1406755637_StohmandLeone.(Large).jpg.455cf6799dd16cf2dc8d69b277f2ef02.jpg

Frank.

• Like 5

Bob, Gues what?...This morning,with Leone in the back seat, before coming back in, I took her for a low level, up the Mulgrave river ( Safe altitude, of course! ) and there it was! The big fella, on the sand bar! I circled around a couple of times, so she could get a good look, must have pissed it off, as it took off into the water.

Yesterday I was telling them about the Crocks I see when I`m flying! Reply! Yeah, one went swimming past our boat!020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

Frank

047_freaked.gif.8ed0ad517b0740d5ec95a319c864c7e3.gif

Bob, Gues what?...This morning,with Leone in the back seat, before coming back in, I took her for a low level, up the Mulgrave river ( Safe altitude, of course! ) and there it was! The big fella, on the sand bar! I circled around a couple of times, so she could get a good look, must have pissed it off, as it took off into the water.Yesterday I was telling them about the Crocks I see when I`m flying! Reply! Yeah, one went swimming past our boat!020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

Frank

Frank , I started to shake and had to have a straight scotch just to finish reading this ..... Bob 047_freaked.gif.8ed0ad517b0740d5ec95a319c864c7e3.gif

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

The Yellow Hornet sold yesterday. There was time for a short flight in the morning before putting her back in the hangar to await her new owner. Wifey has given instructions to search for something with doors (broad search criteria). I would find it hard to go past a Fisher 912 Drifter if anyone is selling. Regardsimage.jpeg.bae512783448b0df9afa81cf45f47a88.jpeg

• Like 3

Seb's aircraft was one of the ones that I looked at when I was buying. Probably would have bought it if it had a 912 in it.So where is the Drifter going to Brett?

The Hornet is heading to Darwin. The new owner has arranged hangarage in Bundy until April, then i believe it's a long ferry flight to Darwin.

So I'll have to begin the hunt for something to replace the Hornet. Can't leave it too long or I'll get the shakes!

Better give him my number if he is looking for a ferry pilot.Drifter Bundy to Darwin now that is a trip I would love.

Here's an aircraft I know you'll love. Picture an all metal Drifter, Rotax 912, only problem is they stuck a nose wheel on it. Looks like a fun & reliable machine.

image.jpg.84685466bab9d48945f07137ea0d18b4.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry to see it leave the se qld area. Brett you must have been lucky to squeeze in that last flight on Sunday. We left Oakey (driving) at 8am in drizzle after overnight rain and had constant drizzle all the way to Hervey Bay with some heavy rain past Susan river. Been blowing a gale since then.

Wayne

Tell me about it...the wind was even 30knots this morning when I got up here at Booyal...but seems to have slackened off a little now to around 15 to 20 but occasional gusting to 30 still. We are about 400 ft ASL here and are 50km in from the coast..would thought it would be worse on the coast

Yes Mark....... was in Bundy on Monday and heard the boat out to Lady Elliot Is. was cancelled. I suppose the plus side is the cooler (nice) temp.Wayne

Its been blowing 25 - 30 knots and gusts over 30 knots from the south east for more than 3 days so the the sea swell is up as well. Not good for boaties or light aircraft flyers. Looking forward to the nice weather slots.

Cheers and safe flying Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well the Yellow Hornet is now in Bundaberg. Bueatiful morning for the short flight, she now awaits her new owner.

Looks like I won't be grounded long. I pick up my new aircraft ( a fantastic Rans S-7S Courier) tomorrow. I'll post some pictures tmw for anyone who is interested. Happy days!

image.jpeg.d6a4d512e9f675e17547591b1658643a.jpeg

image.jpeg.ec997c0fb2bfd9fe394b620aefc69b03.jpeg

• Like 1

Where did the S7 come from?

It's from down near Gatton ( Forrest Hill). It's Ken Edwards aircraft. Really nice build, I believe it won best aircraft a couple of years in a row. Should be a fun machine once I get the hang of it.