230 / 430 MTOW South Africa vs Australia

Icarus

Mine (J430) even started off more than those weights (384) and after an unfortunate altercation with gravity where gravity showed who's boss and fix up job is now a whopping 398 kg.

I made a considered decision when I built it (having previously seen the weights that other Jabs could happily fly at) to add a lot of bells and whistles. Because my then wife and I are were quite small (as were the 2 kids) I decided I could sacrifice some weight.

I added sound/harsh edge eliminating foam padding on inside of entire cabin, extra panels on the walls to cover those bare ridges up where the fuel sight gauges are and flap motor, flap cross bar etc. Covers over the exposed cables and jutting brackets etc on the centre console. I must admit I was surprised at how it added up. The foam padding was all light weight stuff ( made from the cheap sleeping mat stuff you buy in camping stores). All the panels were fairly light weight epoxy but add that to auto pilot stuff, extra instruments etc it adds up.

I spoke to Jab about it at one stage and they said that the book value 340 or whatever is pretty much in only the barest model. Even their then demonstrator was 380-something.

But I have to say that even at 398 kg it flies great. No issue with its performance. But trying to keep it under 700 when it comes to a full crew and some gear is difficult. But 2 up with camping gear or travelling gear is no problem.

yeah, your right, sorry, looked up J230 spec I see its now 370kg.....Used to be claimed as lower

Mine was under 340 when new but was a low spec one. Ive fixed that but its heavier. Apparantly some of the factory built contractors had 10-20 kg heavier aircraft than others. To do with paint and finish.

Jabirus BNP is actually a converted J400, so some big blocks of resin around wing roots it appears

I guess in VH it isnt an real issue but sure is in RAA, extra 20kg is a big deal

I think Jabirus new brakes are Matco looking.....copy? Nice if they are a bolt on fit.

I prefer the shorter wing myself, faster, easier to "live" with, doesnt float as much, better in rough weather and has higher VNo, Va.

Matco are a general brake manufacturer and have lots of models for different aircraft and other things. I guess they are making new models all the time.

The ones I looked at last year were quite different to the new jab ones.

The disc bolted onto the hub out at the external circumference. The calliper fitted onto the disc ring from the inside of the ring whereas the jab discs bolt on at the inner circumference and the callipers fit on from the outside of the ring. But they may use the same bits otherwise.

I prefer the shorter wing myself, faster, easier to "live" with, doesnt float as much, better in rough weather and has higher VNo, Va.

So what is the advantage of the longer wing?