Using RAAus-applied ASIC for PPL

Hi all,

I'm thinking of training for a PPL, so need an ASIC. However, since I'm still waiting for my medical, and am about to go abroad in 3 weeks, I was thinking of applying for an RAAus ASIC to get the process moving, otherwise it could be 3 months before I take receipt of one.

I'm aware I can commence training before I receive the ASIC, as long as applied for. I'm also aware I need to maintain RAA membership to maintain my ASIC. Neither should be an issue.

Anyone know:

- Can I commence PPL training with an ASIC in process with RAA? Will the school accept that?

- What current processing times are? Are all CASA at the EOFY sales?

Thanks!

Damo

An ASIC is an ASIC, doesnt matter who processed it

Nothing to do woth RAA certificate or training

Think you only need done to be alone onside secure airfelds, if theres an instructor your nder their supervision

Not true, David.

They did it to me David, so I know from pesonsal experience it is true. When I didnt renew my class 2 they returned my ASIC application paperwork and additionally told me if I didnt renew my medical I did not have a valid readon for an ASIC. That is why you need to be an RAAus member and apply on that basis if you don't hold a medical.

• Agree 1

I can't remember the name of the entity, but it is the main issuer authorized by the government. They held my application up while I was going through that medical drama a few years ago, and when I finally didnt renew my class 2 medical they returned my application giving the reason I stated above.

Obviously not David,

But clearly 'They' considered that as my application was for an ASIC as a PIC of an aircraft, it would seem they assumed I wouldn't be flying without a medical so decided to decline my application. If applying for an ASIC for the purposes of flying an Aircraft without a medical it seemed logical to me that without a medical you would have to be an RAAus member because I knew that RAAus members could get them and most dont have medicals ... but who could possibly know because the bungling bureaucrats make the rules.

Please pardon my apparent sarcasm but I have absolutely zero tolerance for the bureaucratic processes these days and after the BS I went through with Avmed, why would I reasonably expect anything different from these idiots?????

• Like 1

Hi all,I'm thinking of training for a PPL, so need an ASIC. However, since I'm still waiting for my medical, and am about to go abroad in 3 weeks, I was thinking of applying for an RAAus ASIC to get the process moving, otherwise it could be 3 months before I take receipt of one.

I'm aware I can commence training before I receive the ASIC, as long as applied for. I'm also aware I need to maintain RAA membership to maintain my ASIC. Neither should be an issue.

Anyone know:

- Can I commence PPL training with an ASIC in process with RAA? Will the school accept that?

- What current processing times are? Are all CASA at the EOFY sales?

Thanks!

Damo

You don't need to have applied for or have an ASIC or a medical to start flying training for a PPL. There is even no such thing as a GA student pilot licence any more. You will need a medical (and you need an ARN for that) before you go solo. You will need to apply for an ASIC with your PPL licence application unless you need it earlier because of the airfields you are flying at (eg Bankstown or Archerfield). If you are a member of RAAus you can get an ASIC with them. As jetjr said above, an ASIC is an ASIC, every one will accept that ASIC like any other.

CASA processing times are always problematic. For a medical it depends, but with no issues you would hope not more than a month. ASIC will depend on where you have lived and your criminal history. Hopefully a month or two at the outside. If you are under 18 you don't need an ASIC.

I don't have an ASIC, and I will never get one. I do have frequent access to an aircraft though so I should probably have one. But being realistic, the whole ASIC thing is a crock of $hit.

I fly aeroplanes for fun, but I ride motorbikes for the same reason. The difference is, I don't have to be a member of an outfit to ride motorbikes.

This flying business is getting too political and expensive for no other reason than to keep plebs employed. I don't mind paying to hire an aircraft, but I don't like paying money for no benefit, as in membership to fly a aircraft with numbers on the side of it, when the same aircraft with letters on the side of it means don't need to be a member of anything.

• Agree 2

I needed an ASIC for my RPL. RA had the application form and the charge, $160 on the RAA website. Thought that was fair seeing that CASA were asking $200 for theirs. A week later I get my application back asking for another $40 dollars. Then I had to wait for the ASIC to arrive before I could apply for the RPL. If I had gone to CASA in the first place I needn't have waited because the application itself is enough to start the processing and the cost was the same anyway. Not happy Jan!

Here's the RAA form, still asking for $160.

http://www.raa.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Application-for-RA-Aus-issued-ASIC-180412.pdf

Then I had to wait for the ASIC to arrive before I could apply for the RPL.

Yep - that was my concern. So I have:

- Wait to complete medical (hopefully 1-2 weeks), then apply for ASIC, or

- Apply via RAA for ASIC, but not be able to solo or apply for RPL until it arrives

Seems simpler to wait and go with CASA all the way.

D

• Agree 2

I needed an ASIC for my RPL. RA had the application form and the charge, $160 on the RAA website. Thought that was fair seeing that CASA were asking $200 for theirs. A week later I get my application back asking for another $40 dollars. Then I had to wait for the ASIC to arrive before I could apply for the RPL. If I had gone to CASA in the first place I needn't have waited because the application itself is enough to start the processing and the cost was the same anyway. Not happy Jan!Here's the RAA form, still asking for $160.

http://www.raa.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Application-for-RA-Aus-issued-ASIC-180412.pdf

I passed my GFPT back in 1998 and I also have an RAA pilot cert with X country TW, HP blah blah. I have not as yet applied for an RPL purely because of this need to apply for an ASIC.

I can't remember the name of the entity, but it is the main issuer authorized by the government. They held my application up while I was going through that medical drama a few years ago, and when I finally didnt renew my class 2 medical they returned my application giving the reason I stated above.

Yep David, I read elsewhere that this is the same for RAA. ie. If you are not a current PPL pilot and/or member of RAA, then you cannot hold an ASIC with that relevant body. Each is responsible for monitoring currency of holders.

Under that argument, I'm inclined to get one with RAA, since I'm more likely to do most of my flying and maintain currency with them.

Thanks all

D

I passed my GFPT back in 1998 and I also have an RAA pilot cert with X country TW, HP blah blah. I have not as yet applied for an RPL purely because of this need to apply for an ASIC.

My main reason is to fly with 3-4 PAX, so medical and ASIC are givens, whether I do RPL or PPL.

I needed an ASIC for my RPL. RA had the application form and the charge, $160 on the RAA website. Thought that was fair seeing that CASA were asking $200 for theirs. A week later I get my application back asking for another $40 dollars. Then I had to wait for the ASIC to arrive before I could apply for the RPL. If I had gone to CASA in the first place I needn't have waited because the application itself is enough to start the processing and the cost was the same anyway. Not happy Jan!Here's the RAA form, still asking for $160.

This is on the current RAAus application form I found:

"Include payment of $200 inc. GST for Recreational Aviation Australia members and $250.00 inc GST for non-members by cheque or by credit card."

https://www.raa.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Application-for-RA-Aus-issued-ASIC-23-07-20141.pdf

So it appears you don't need to be a member of RAAus to apply.

• Informative 1

Dazza, your GFPT is now an RPL. All you have to do to get the new Part 61 RPL licence is get a medical and BFR. You do not need to get an ASIC to get going again. It is only for initial issue of a licence that CASA insists on an ASIC. When the flying school sends in the BFR form it will trigger the new licence. At the same time you can carry across your RAAus endorsements to the RPL.

• Informative 1

Unless you are an RAAus member you cannot get an ASIC if you don't have an ARN and a current medical regardless of your license type.

And if you cease to be an RA member you have to return your RA issued ASIC. It all comes down to 'operational need'.

• Agree 1

The other good thing there is that you would have already done your 2 hours of instrument flying. Converting from RA I had to do that as well. In hindsight I reckon everyone with cross country endorsement should have to do it but that is probably a topic for a new thread.

And if you cease to be an RA member you have to return your RA issued ASIC. It all comes down to 'operational need'.

Maybe not quite correct. If you cease to be an RAAus member but still fly GA you still have an operational need and can keep the ASIC.

Maybe not quite correct. If you cease to be an RAAus member but still fly GA you still have an operational need and can keep the ASIC.

Quite true, but then you will have to pay the extra $50 dollars to renew it.

• Agree 1