G'day all

lilisaf

Hi everyone

Great to finally sign up. I am currently about 18 hours in learning to fly on a foxbat - great fun.

A quick question to all, what is the average hours to solo? As mentioned above I have about 18 hours at the moment but the feedback from the Senior Instructor is that although I would be able to solo, he doesn't want to send me up until it is all fully finessed (i.e. perfect flare, centre line landings etc). Whilst I understand the need for safety I do feel like I am ready...

Having said that, I can't wait to get my RPL! One of the instructors at another school nearby suggested that once I got my solos done, we take a week off and do all my navs on a trip to the Whitsundays and back - sounds amazing (but expensive).

• Like 2

Welcome. Average time to solo can be very misleading. A lot of factors come into play. Having said that, the majority do it in less than 20 hours. It is unusual for the student to think they are ready before the instructor does. Ususally when I offer the first solo the student's not quite as sure as I am! I don't look for perfection before first solo, just safety. I have to be confident that if the student does make a mistake he or she will be able to recognise and corrrect it or go around. Weather also has to be suitable. Doing your Navs in one go to the Witsundays sounds like a lot of fun (for the instructor!). While there is nothing wrong with doing that, you can get a lot more to sink in over a slightly longer time with differeing weather conditions.

• Agree 2

When I learnt to fly the average to solo was around 10 to 12 hours. I have no idea why it seems to be taking longer than that these days. Maybe people are not as co- ordinated these days or the flying schools are ripping people off.

• Agree 1

Hi everyoneGreat to finally sign up. I am currently about 18 hours in learning to fly on a foxbat - great fun.

A quick question to all, what is the average hours to solo? As mentioned above I have about 18 hours at the moment but the feedback from the Senior Instructor is that although I would be able to solo, he doesn't want to send me up until it is all fully finessed (i.e. perfect flare, centre line landings etc). Whilst I understand the need for safety I do feel like I am ready...

Having said that, I can't wait to get my RPL! One of the instructors at another school nearby suggested that once I got my solos done, we take a week off and do all my navs on a trip to the Whitsundays and back - sounds amazing (but expensive).

Hi, and welcome to the site!

Average is exactly that - some solo sooner, some take longer.....don't worry about it.

Having said that I have been flying for 5 years now, and still have yet to do a perfect flare, or centre line landing!

Let us know how it goes....

Cheers,

Neil

• Agree 1

Well controlled "average" landings impress an instructor more than series of greasers that haven't shown any real ability to cope with something unusual because of the circumstances. You have to cope with what presents itself at the time. A thermal or gust can muck up anybody's approach. Ability to recover that type of situation should be demonstrated. Nev

Hi, and welcome to the site!Average is exactly that - some solo sooner, some take longer.....don't worry about it.

Having said that I have been flying for 5 years now, and still have yet to do a perfect flare, or centre line landing!

Let us know how it goes....

Cheers,

Neil

Thanks for the replies all. The feedback I have got from the others are that the blokes at my school are ultra conservative and risk averse (not that that is a bad thing and the Mrs is certainly pleased about it) - and maybe just a little cheeky in trying to milk the dual rate as much as possible. At the end of the day though, you want your instructor to be comfortable sending you up by yourself!

Hat's off to all those like dazza 38 who did in under 12 hours!

Hi everyoneGreat to finally sign up. I am currently about 18 hours in learning to fly on a foxbat - great fun.

Welcome! It can be frustrating learning to fly especially when it seems to take a lot longer hours than first thought. At the end of the day all those hours count as experience.

I think it took me around 15 hours to solo. I only did one circuit at first, then 3, 5 etc so it can sometimes feel like a slow process.

What aircraft are you converting onto for rpl?

Welcome! It can be frustrating learning to fly especially when it seems to take a lot longer hours than first thought. At the end of the day all those hours count as experience.I think it took me around 15 hours to solo. I only did one circuit at first, then 3, 5 etc so it can sometimes feel like a slow process.

What aircraft are you converting onto for rpl?

Thanks for the message. I think I may have misspoken! I am currently doing the Ra Aus Pilot Certificate and will then look to convert to RPL / PPL. My old man is a former fighter pilot (Fouga Magisters and the A4 Skyhawks) and we both like the look of the new 4 seat sling (hence the RPL requirement).

I have about 12 hours on the Jabiru LSA and 6 on the foxbat.

• 2 weeks later...