Avmap Ultra EFIS

I'm thinking about purchasing an Avmap Ultra EFIS, it's a mini EFIS with a 95mm square display and fits in a std 3 1/8 " hole, with built in solid state gyros, accelerometers and magnetic sensors. It looks like a nice little unit for about $1700. Apparently the earlier version didn't quite fit a 3 1/8 hole which had to be enlarged, but I think the newer version is ok.

Has anyone got one or had any experience with them.

Hope it's not against rules to link to another forum but these guys are talking about the AvMap unit.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=104364

I haven't seen it but it looks similar to the Dynon 10A that I have. If it's anything like the Dynon it will be a great addition to your panel.

I'm thinking about purchasing an Avmap Ultra EFIS, it's a mini EFIS with a 95mm square display and fits in a std 3 1/8 " hole, with built in solid state gyros, accelerometers and magnetic sensors. It looks like a nice little unit for about $1700. Apparently the earlier version didn't quite fit a 3 1/8 hole which had to be enlarged, but I think the newer version is ok.Has anyone got one or had any experience with them.

I was at Sun N Fun a couple of months back looking at the Avmap unit as a drop-in replacement for my old Trutrak ADI. Yes, they have fixed the hole size issue and it now slots in a standard 3 1/8 hole. Their AHRS is pretty good too - phenomenal roll rate (quite relevant to my plane) and hard to topple. The only issue I had was that the GPS input must be from their own unit (provided with the kit) so you can't tie in your existing GPS to it.

They have done a number of software improvements to the interface and display since it was originally released. If its features are what you need, I think it's a pretty good unit.

L,m interested in one two if you are getting a price , they seem to be compact and easy to use by the intstucton manual on line . It would be a good back up for asi ,alt , vs I , GPS , compass , etc . Look to be a great idea to mount on the panel .

Cheers Daniel

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes, I ended up buying one and fitted it to my Savannah, very happy with it.

The parameters are all very accurate once you calibrate it. The heading bug on the primary flight display is great, I tend to fly on the HSI display (compass rose) and set the VOR needle to my heading and use it like a heading bug.

The only time it glitched was early morning at Broken Hill, it was quite cold and the display took a while to power up. This can be typical with digital displays when it's cold apparently.

Yes I was very impressed with the AVMAP - seems a really good deal.

But I went for the Kanardia 'Horis' in the end, largely because its roundness looked nicer in an otherwise round panel.

The latest model (like the AVMAP) is switchable to a DG style compass-rose display - with heading bug (no quasi HSI). I'll be able to update my instrument in firmware. I think it's a great feature and, like ducksrus (above), I'd probably fly mostly on that screen.

You can also buy an electronic compass module for it if you want heading (on top of GPS track). The main advantage of that being that it can then calculate winds aloft (since it already knows all other variables, including OAT). I see that the AVMAP comes with the compass - and winds aloft - as standard.

I think the pricing is comparable (a bit under AUD 1.5K). I'm not sure if Kanardia has an importer here in OZ yet. I got mine direct from the factory in Slovenia. Kanardia

311345046_IMG_5392adj-Version2.jpg.b186d15532de2830115fa08afb9323e0.jpg

1773966370_HorisDG.jpg.5579e40a36b0b208f33be6b8132c5fea.jpg

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

I installed an AVMAP Ultra EFIS about 18 months ago - a useful tool and a AH looks neat on my panel. No major issues with it, some of the information is a little hard, for my ageing eyesight, to see, but all info with the exception of slip ball , is duplicated elsewhere. Found the compass calibration to be a" pain in the ass". For some reason all four points of the compass have to be entered with the aircraft in flight level attitude, as well as the standard - well away from any ferrous or electrical influence, with all on board electronic equipment operating. In my case the aircraft had to be jacked into flight level at all four points of the compass - a laborious process. I would of thought that establishing two points at 90 degrees would have been sufficient and flight attitude irrelevant. Last point - unit was very competitively priced.

Since there's no local agent (as far as I know) you need to buy direct. But for me the process was easy. It came by post. I think I had to pay some tax at the Post Office to take delivery.

Anyway, they're a good company to deal with. The guy I'm in contact with is Ales Krajinc.

[email protected]

I believe if you buy Horis now (either 57mm or 80mm) it incorporates the DG compass rose. And if you want the electronic compass module (the Magu), it's an extra. As I said, the only use I can see of it is to get Winds/Aloft. But I guess that it's worth it for that. Best check with Ales to make sure these new features are implemented and ready to go. I think they are - or very soon will be.

Installation (which I had done by an L2) was very straightforward. They supply the T-pieces you need to tap into your existing pitot/static system. It also comes with a remote mountable gps aerial and an OAT probe. It needs a notch cut out of the round for the knob at the bottom left - similar to what's needed for an altimeter.

Since there's no local agent (as far as I know) you need to buy direct. But for me the process was easy. It came by post. I think I had to pay some tax at the Post Office to take delivery.Anyway, they're a good company to deal with. The guy I'm in contact with is Ales Krajinc.

[email protected]

I believe if you buy Horis now (either 57mm or 80mm) it incorporates the DG compass rose. And if you want the electronic compass module (the Magu), it's an extra. As I said, the only use I can see of it is to get Winds/Aloft. But I guess that it's worth it for that. Best check with Ales to make sure these new features are implemented and ready to go. I think they are - or very soon will be.

Installation (which I had done by an L2) was very straightforward. They supply the T-pieces you need to tap into your existing pitot/static system. It also comes with a remote mountable gps aerial and an OAT probe. It needs a notch cut out of the round for the knob at the bottom left - similar to what's needed for an altimeter.

Thanks for the info