Accident Tyagarah Air Strip NSW

Hope he pulls through

From ABC

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-23/ultralight-plane-crash-tyagarah-nsw-north-coast/6566590

Pilot critically injured in plane crash near Byron Bay, in northern NSW

Updated 10 minutes ago

A 59-year-old man is in a critical condition after crashing an ultralight plane on the New South Wales far north coast.

Witnesses have said the pilot lost control moments after taking off from the Tyagarah airstrip near Byron Bay earlier this morning.

Doug Thomas, who witnessed the plane in trouble, made a triple-0 call after the aircraft crashed.

He said the plane began moving erratically just seconds after taking off.

"As he took off he was swinging a bit like a pendulum, probably from the power while he was taking off," he said.

"He got above the trees and a bit of a gust of wind came in, and he did an almighty bank, as if he was trying to do a trick really low to the ground.

"He almost went over, it looked like, and then he rectified and went the other way and then we lost him behind the trees.

Mr Thomas said not long after that he heard a crash.

"It wasn't a massive crash because it's only a small aircraft, but there was a definite crumple," he said.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest asmol

Again, another trike fatality.

I mentioned that something like 60% of fatals with the RAA aircraft on another thread were in trikes and perhaps they need to give them back to the HGFA to make our accident satistics more 'representive'

The other option would be to require proper retraining etc of this segment of the industry.

Every day i wake to more news like this and do you think by other half will ever let me continue flying/training ? The answer is a very big NO. I give up!

Amsol,

First of all condolences to the family and friends of this pilot.

Secondly,

Trikes are not unsafe at all, many a 3 axis pilot has been killed flying trikes after converting to them, they are basically a hang glider in the way they are controlled, totally opposite to 3 axis aircraft, many think these are a piece of cake to fly which in fact they are if you haven't first been trained in 3 axis.

controls work like this in 3 axis as you are well aware, pull back climb (trike, pull back descend), 3 axis, push forward go down, trike push forward on the bar go up, 3 axis move control to right, turn right, trike move control bar to left, turn right and visa versa for a left turn

Biggest thing to get in to your head when learning to fly a trike is fly the wing and not worry what the pod is doing.

Very easy for a new ex 3 axis trike pilot who converted to a trike to go back to what he is used to when panic happens, see's the ground rushing up to him and pulls back and ground comes rushing faster at him in the trike because that is what he is used too doing flying 3 axis, get my drift.

I'm not going to sit here quiet and listen to you say trikes are dangerous because they are not, pilots are dangerous, like I said many a 3 axis pilot has died in a trike because it looks easy to them, old habits die hard.

I first learnt in 3 axis for 20 hrs back in the 80"s, I then learnt to fly trikes in 2004 and amassed 760hrs in them in 7 years with not 1 close call as I respected aviation in all forms from the beginning

Note: I am not saying this latest accident involved an ex 3 axis pilot in anyway

Alf

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

Every day i wake to more news like this and do you think by other half will ever let me continue flying/training ? The answer is a very big NO. I give up!

News like this always makes it hard to explain to your family why you keep going. I find it knocks your drive to get on and finish a build too. I have 32.5 hours in my book and every one of these poor souls has had much more experience and logged many more hours than me. Always leaves me wondering why I think I am going to be any better than each of them, but human arrogance always makes us think we are different. That is why bad stuff always happens to some one else!

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

I tossed a coin when I turned 55.........Road bike or RAA licence !

I think I made the right choice choosing RAA, it's up to me how safe I choose to be.

Flying has lots of dangers , most of them you have the choice to avoided if you follow the rules , stay within your limits and don't end up in a place that your training and experience can't handle.

It's a lot safer than riding down the road and being T boned by a car that didn't see you !

Life's short, fly safe its all good,

cheer's Butch

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1

if you heard about every road fatality when they happen, you wouldnt get in a a car either.. funny thing life, no one gets out of it alive. enjoy it while you can. even it it means enjoying things others think dangerous, or are dangerous, i still ride motorbikes, and on long interstate rides as well. i know the risks, i accept them, and take every precaution to lower them, but i know, i can be killed. and if i am, i will die knowing i have lived more than a lot of others.

another strange thing, about training, we all know flying can be dangerous, yet we all want to get the cheapest training available... think about it.

i have had aerobatic training with military instructors, sure, wasnt cheap. but i know where my limits are, and test them using schools aircraft, with a qualified instructor beside me, so i dont have to when im flying my Savannah by myself.

If your worried about flying after seeing or hearing of an accident, then think about getting more training, a refresher, or something you can do to lower your risks, or walk away and forever dream.

Condolences to all involved.

• Like 3
  • Agree 8
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 2

i still ride motorbikes, and on long interstate rides as well. i know the risks, i accept them, and take every precaution to lower them, but i know, i can be killed. and if i am, i will die knowing i have lived more than a lot of others.[/]

Spot on Ultralights,

Wasn't putting down riding bikes ! You have the rite attitude.

Do what you enjoy and do it safe, its better to die doing than die wanting,

cheers Butch

News like this always makes it hard to explain to your family why you keep going. I find it knocks your drive to get on and finish a build too. I have 32.5 hours in my book and every one of these poor souls has had much more experience and logged many more hours than me. Always leaves me wondering why I think I am going to be any better than each of them, but human arrogance always makes us think we are different. That is why bad stuff always happens to some one else!

Hi there don,t let it get you to far down we have had a bad run of late and not sure why weather is just more aircraft flying so same percentage or training or many other factors . I think it is a good thing to be a little worried when flying if you don,t have any fear that a big problem . Use a lot of comon sense and learn from others .

• Agree 3

On our annual flyaway in May we departed Echuca with 20 knots of crosswind and a trike experienced what appears to be a very similar situation not far above tree level. In our pilots case apart from a severe tightening of the sphincter his training kicked in and he made the correct control inputs.

Asmol, rather than posting ill informed comments such as above you should sit back and try and learn from experienced pilots such as Alf when it comes to both 2 and 3 axis flying.

My condolences also to his family and friends.

The pilot was Ray Jackson and he was an instructor at Byron Bay microlights. He was very experienced .My condolences to Rays family and friends.

This is getting monotonous. A bloke like this wouldn't have reversed the inputs when the shit hit the sail.

• Agree 3

Guest extralite

It didnt seem particulaly windy at all this morning here at byron. Condolences. Flew with ray once and he was very competent and excellent manner for that flight.

My condolences to the family.

Ray was a very safe and competent pilot and instructor with many hours in all conditions.

A true gentleman whom would go out of his way for others.

RIP

This is very sad, my sympathies to the pilots family and friends also. Life is short, none of us know which day will be our last...

I am reminded of Psalm 103:15 "As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth. For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more. But the mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children"

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

I tossed a coin when I turned 55.........Road bike or RAA licence !I think I made the right choice choosing RAA, it's up to me how safe I choose to be.

Flying has lots of dangers , most of them you have the choice to avoided if you follow the rules , stay within your limits and don't end up in a place that your training and experience can't handle.

It's a lot safer than riding down the road and being T boned by a car that didn't see you !

Life's short, fly safe its all good,

cheer's Butch

If it's safer than driving down the road then why is it that of the 30 or so people that I've known over the years of flying, 7 of them have been killed in the last 3 years.

The statistics don't in any way justify this claim. Think of 30 people you know who drive cars, how many are dead? I bet the answer is most likely zero.

The risks are clearly much greater than any form of road transport. I'd also like to add that most of the recent fatalities involved safe pilots not Cowboys.

My sincere condolences go out to Ray's family and all of his friends. This is another very sad day.

Bluey.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

All

Flying is not dangerous but it is a very exacting pastime, experienced pilots don't normally end up rolled up in a ball on take off, this may be one of the rare mechanical failures that happen from time to time.

Amsol

Feel very sorry for you if your wife is the one who dictates what hobbies you pursue, mine fly's aeroplanes.

Condolences to the family and friends.

• Agree 2

If it's safer than driving down the road then why is it that of the 30 or so people that I've known over the years of flying, 7 of them have been killed in the last 3 years.The statistics don't in any way justify this claim. Think of 30 people you know who drive cars, how many are dead? I bet the answer is most likely zero.

The risks are clearly much greater than any form of road transport. I'd also like to add that most of the recent fatalities involved safe pilots not Cowboys.

Bluey,

over the years I have tried many dangerous sports .

Scuba diving..... very easy to kill yourself if you are reckless ,don't follow the rules and get over confident.

Rock climbing.... as above, as safe as you want to make it just don't cut corners.

Motor bike riding.....most of the time it's some other idiot that hurts you.

Flying ....again as above.

Of coarse all these are more dangerous than driving the family car down the road.......mainly because when the sh.t hits the fan you can park the car on the side of the road , you get lots of second chances if you make a mistake (speaking from experiences) .

In June 92 a light plane with 5 passengers crashed in my back paddock ........all dead !

The reason .....bad decisions ( bad weather, peer pressure, lack of experience in type of aircraft and disorientation in low cloud)

My condolences to all the families that have lost love ones in aircraft accidents, many that should never have happened ,

cheer's Butch

Over the last six or seven years I have been to so many air shows and fly-ins that I have completely lost count, but over that time I have met and talked with many pilots for the last time, I always feel for their friends and family who miss them much more badly than I do, but the sheer volume of them is starting chew away at why I like to fly. They aren't all arrogant, or careless, or a show off or in a hurry or...no doubt some of them were one or another of these things, but in every case they have appeared just like the next pilot I will meet for the first time at the next one I get too. When the third member of a group I was a member of was killed, I left that group, but it didn't stop people dying, it only made me fell better at the time. The simplest fact seems to be, the more fly-ins I see someone at, the more like they are to not be at the next one!

• Informative 1

I don't know Ray but hearing he is an experienced instructor pilot makes it all the sadder. There is not much that can go wrong with a trike that would not result in a catastrophic break up. No control cables to jam and they fly fine with an engine out. I'm thinking a nedical problem. My condolences to his family and friends.

• Agree 2

firstly my condolences to the pilots family.

Secondly we are all consenting adults, gees some of the past times I have been involved in one mistake and it's all over but it was me that made the decision. If we make the decision to participate in a sport we accept the risks. To make comments like we should give the trikes back to HGFA and that would make our statistics look better what a crock. How many flight happen everyday worldwide in trikes vs accidents. Unfortunately we only here the bad news not the hundreds of thousands hours of enjoyable flying that happens every year with no issues. It's like the whole Jabiru debate if you don't like them don't fly them but don't bash trikes. Unfortunately even the most experienced people in the world make mistakes, or have a issue. (I'm not implying anything in this case)

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

Would that one have included the CEO of Springvale Council Butch?

That's right Turbo,

shocking waste of young lives, 5 guys going to the trots for a day out to see their horse race.

I was only 150 metres away from where it crashed...... 1.20pm 12th of June 92....a day i'll never forget!

I'm not afraid to fly......I'm afraid of making bad decisions,

cheers Butch