Gday. New member reporting here. Finally have resources to follow a life-long ambition. Started RAA licence training at Bathurst last week in Jab 170.

Have done gliding, paragliding and Careflight helicopter aircrewing in the past. Completed BAK exams years ago but never enough time or $$. Until now.

Thinking about building or purchase of STOL aircraft to fly out of farm at Oberon. Maybe a Zenith or Savannah. I have a few flattish areas about 400 to 500m long. Will that be enough?

This looks like it will be a very useful website for my needs. Cheers Steve

• Like 3

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gday. New member reporting here. Finally have resources to follow a life-long ambition. Started RAA licence training at Bathurst last week in Jab 170.Have done gliding, paragliding and Careflight helicopter aircrewing in the past. Completed BAK exams years ago but never enough time or $$. Until now.

Thinking about building or purchase of STOL aircraft to fly out of farm at Oberon. Maybe a Zenith or Savannah. I have a few flattish areas about 400 to 500m long. Will that be enough?

This looks like it will be a very useful website for my needs. Cheers Steve

Welcome. You won't have to be too STOL with 500 metres available. Enjoy the journey.

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome. What's this about a trophy?

I think the trophy is the points awarded as you reach certain milestones - eg first post, 100 posts, 100 likes etc. Click on the Menu (three bars), choose Members, then "Notable Members" (on my laptop it is on the LHS, but sometimes appears elsewhere on the page if I have a faster connection) and chose the points tab. Most of us are stuck on 113 points. To see the trophy point system, click on Terms at the bottom RHS, then trophies.

By the way - 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

There are a few of the aero medical & RFDS fraternity on here too, as well as some pretty knowledgeable types, as well as some scallywags. Enjoy your stay.

Sue

• Like 3

Thanks

I did a Civil Aviation Medicine course at Monash 20 years ago. Hypobaric chamber etc. Qualified as a D.A.M.E. but never worked as such.

Did a few years Careflight in Sydney and Orange. Bell 412, BK117 and Agusta Koala

ThanksI did a Civil Aviation Medicine course at Monash 20 years ago. Hypobaric chamber etc. Qualified as a D.A.M.E. but never worked as such.

Did a few years Careflight in Sydney and Orange. Bell 412, BK117 and Agusta Koala

How was the monash course? I was thinking of doing it, but with RAMPCs now the return from being a DAME seems to be less.

How was the monash course? I was thinking of doing it, but with RAMPCs now the return from being a DAME seems to be less.

I have come across about a dozen or so pilots with an RPL. All have a class 2 medical so they can take more passengers or because the RAMPC was too inflexible for slight medical issues that can be accommodated under a class 2 . The RAMPC was something that should have been a goer but CASA have made it too hard. I don't think there is going to be too much of a drop off in the DAME customers, maybe the reverse.

Re Monash Course: Well it was a fair while ago. Was run at that time by Prof Rod Westerman at Clayton campus, Monash and Pt Cook. Plenty of hands-on stuff such as in chamber and ride-along with Qantas domestic aircrew. A lot of emphasis on human factors in aviation safety. (In some ways it was actually a bit boring)

At the time I was an ED medico with a part time job in international aeromedical retrieval and not ideally suited to become a DAME.

Wow, what a great welcome.

2nd lesson tomorrow "flying straight and level" 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif Could be challenging?.....probably not.

Planedriver I used to live in Woolcott Street 1970s. Nice part of Sydney.

We could have been neighbours, I'm in Homer Street.

Are you training with Central West?

I'll pray that the winds die down a bit, It's nice to have it smooth for your first few flights.

Keep us posted.

Kind Regards

Planey

Wow, what a great welcome.2nd lesson tomorrow "flying straight and level" 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif Could be challenging?.....probably not.

That reminds me of when I was a sixteen year of age and in the air cadets, I was taken for a flight in a Meteor 7 jet trainer; the instructor suggested that before starting any manoeuvres I just keep the aircraft in level flight. I thought that this sounded simple enough but stone the crows at 420 knots I only had to think about moving the stick and I was down 200 feet. 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif.

Alan.

• Winner 1

Jabiru 170 in smooth air: straight and level not too difficult.

There is a Zenith 701 in the Bathurst Aero club hangar. Anyone know about it? Apparently hasn't been flown for a while. I'd be keen to talk with the owner.

Steve.

• 1 month later...

Progress report:

Have done 14 hours in Jab 170. Feels comfortable and natural most of the time but my landings are not very smooth. Had a few good ones but not able to replicate them at will.

Seems I am either flaring a bit late = hard on the nose wheel or too early = ballooning. While concentrating intensely on the flare my feet are "going to sleep" according to instructor and I usually run to the right side of centreline. Fortunately the runway is wide enough.

I'm guessing the answer is more practice. Stay tuned. Steve

• Like 2

Bathurst runway is almost a mile long and super easy to land on other than the slope. I think they teach to land with power at CWFS. Are you looking down the end of the runway?

There's no substitute for intentional practice.

Bathurst runway is almost a mile long and super easy to land on other than the slope. I think they teach to land with power at CWFS. Are you looking down the end of the runway?There's no substitute for intentional practice.

That's good to know. Landing with power at idle in Jab 170. Only using 1/3 runway usually. "Eyes long" doesn't seem to help much.

I have often had some mild variable crosswind gusts also not helping much.