RPL vs PPL

RA-AUS don't really control the RPC though, the Ops Manual can only be changed with CASA approval and it relies on the CAO passed by CASA.

I don't see the reason why the CAO couldn't be amended to provide an exemption to the requirement to hold the medical when operating RA-AUS registered aircraft in uncontrolled airspace, rather then having to hold a "RPC". You'd still need to comply with the Ops Manual (in regards to operating the aircraft) and still need to be a member, but you don't have to administer a separate "licencing system" in parallel.

You need to get CASA onside to make the changes, but isn't that why we all pay money to a pilot association? FAA, EASA and NZCAA are all looking at winding back medical requirements for recreational pilots.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think about 5 years were wasted on the last effort and a lot of expectations were raised. Be careful of what you wish for or you may lose what you have/had. Never compromise what you have if you can help it. It took a while to get where we are. CASA can change at the stroke of a pen from a new broom. 7 or 8 years ago I thought we were going fine. Now I have no real idea where we are going. People invest a heap in this pastime /industry on what is said and written. The fact it can change overnight makes it hard to maintain the interest. That's why it is going down the drain. Nev

Maybe that's a flaw in RPC training (not including IF), clearly CASA believe it's required for VH aircraft. How much of the $3000 was spent "learning" a new aircraft type? It's still my opinion that RA should do away with the RPC and work on transferring all members to RPL, keeping the exceptions for operating UL aircraft and medical requirements.

I don't have an issue with the IF training. I have said elsewhere that I think it should be a requirement for RA if you are flying cross country. I hadn't even considered that before I read the requirement.

Learning the new aircraft was 2 hours, so about $650 from memory.

I have to disagree with your thoughts on doing away with the RPC. If we want to keep recreational flying affordable we should be working towards making the RPC as good or better than the RPL. We all share the same airspace so we all should be competent. It used to annoy the crap out of me when some PPLs used to suggest my certificate was second rate. I had my RPC because it was sufficient for my needs, not because I wasn't good enough to earn a PPL. I still think that we should have the opportunity to have the CTA and CTX endorsements under RAA.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Forget the whole cost debate for RA-Aus. Find yourself a GA registered Tecnam or Jabiru and your GA training aircraft will cost the same as an RA-Aus one (or an RA one that's maintained by a professional mechanic anyway!). The difference in prices generally only comes down to the GA instructor being paid the award wage of $60-70 per flying hour whilst the RA instructors don't get a mention in the award and may not even be getting paid at all...

At Gostner, the VH registered 160 costs $20 per hour more (solo or dual) than the 24-registered one.

• 2 weeks later...

So what is interesting is at the moment I dont seem to be able to find a Flight School that will sign off on a CTA endorsement for a RPL. Ive been constantly told that there is no "exam" you can do to meet the knowledge requirement for them to sign off on the paperwork to get a CTA endorsement. I even had one of the licensing guys from CASA confirm this. Have other people managed to get a CTA endo on their RPL? In Brisbane?

• Informative 1

So what is interesting is at the moment I dont seem to be able to find a Flight School that will sign off on a CTA endorsement for a RPL. Ive been constantly told that there is no "exam" you can do to meet the knowledge requirement for them to sign off on the paperwork to get a CTA endorsement. I even had one of the licensing guys from CASA confirm this. Have other people managed to get a CTA endo on their RPL? In Brisbane?

There is no 'exam' as such. It is purely a flight test. For me, I had to fly into Moorabbin (class D), from there to Essendon (class C) and depart into Melbourne Centre controlled airspace (class C). That gave me CTA. At Moorabbin and Essendon I had to land, request taxi clearances and demonstrate that I understood all the requirements of a controlled airport to get the CTX. Basically I had to demonstrate that I could do all that was required in the 'Visual Pilot Guide' for the Melbourne Basin, put out by Air Services.

Brisbane has a similar publication ... https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/g/files/net351/f/_assets/main/pilots/download/archer/archer.pdf

See, thats what I had issues with.. I did as part of my Flight Review a flight into CTA from Archerfield (Class D) to Goldie (Class C), and likewise I did a transit flight on the way back from Lismore

The problem came up when you read the form for the endorsement it says "Pass in the aeronautical knowledge examination for the endorsement". CASA indicated to me that the only way to meet that requirement was for a pass in the PPL exam.. which i think is ridiculous.

I was granted my CTR, just not CTA

• Like 1

See, thats what I had issues with.. I did as part of my Flight Review a flight into CTA from Archerfield (Class D) to Goldie (Class C), and likewise I did a transit flight on the way back from LismoreThe problem came up when you read the form for the endorsement it says "Pass in the aeronautical knowledge examination for the endorsement". CASA indicated to me that the only way to meet that requirement was for a pass in the PPL exam.. which i think is ridiculous.

I was granted my CTR, just not CTA

I can't find the appropriate form that was submitted but, from memory, I'm pretty sure that the forms cover a number of possible endorsements and one of the boxes to be ticked was that the appropriate examination was conducted or that an examination was not applicable.

• 3 years later...