Private Pilot Life Insurance, recommendations?

Has anyone purchased life insurance that specifically covers for recreational flying? What is it costing you? Any companies recommended for it? Do any of the normal providers offer for private pilots?

Get a broker to do the chasing around.

the policies, costs and fine details of what is covered and when can be quite complex. Policies can look appealing but have exclusions or limitations which may make them not worth the costs.

Often brokers can get better deals than the average punter off the street.

• Like 1

No policy offers to bring you back to life but I would seriously consider coverage for 3rd parties and passengers , because it can ruin your life. RAAus covers something but I'm not going to evaluate it as that's for you to make a decision about. A broker has more pull but is in it for a quid too, so make your requirements clear. Nev

I just have the bog standard life insurance through my superannuation fund. They don't ask what I do in my spare time - only if I smoke and if I wear a white shirt or blue shirt to work.

I'm covered for any method of dispatch except war and pre-existing medical conditions. Even suicide is covered (after a waiting period) which I thought odd.

About $400/year for $400,000 cover.

It's not exactly a million dollars but it'll pay off the mortgage and provide a nice casket.

I just have the bog standard life insurance through my superannuation fund. They don't ask what I do in my spare time - only if I smoke and if I wear a white shirt or blue shirt to work.I'm covered for any method of dispatch except war and pre-existing medical conditions. Even suicide is covered (after a waiting period) which I thought odd.

About $400/year for $400,000 cover.

It's not exactly a million dollars but it'll pay off the mortgage and provide a nice casket.

You need to be very careful about these because almost all standard life assurance policies actually have a small print exclusion which excludes aviation activities except flight in a commercial airline usually with some sort of wording like undertaking a published route or something similar.

This basically limits it to airline flights. Often charter flights joy flights and scenics are also excluded. What you need to do is actually write to the insurance company and ask if you are covered and get a written response back. You need to ask for a specific activity because if you don't ask, and it's somewhere in the fine print that you are excluded then when you have an event and you or your estate try to claim it you can be absolutely sure the insurer will go through the policy with a fine tooth comb from start to finish and if there is any hint of exclusion they will take it.

Some people worry that if you raise the issue with them then somehow it will be held against you. It's in fact the exact opposite. If it's included in the policy they will happily let you know. It's there already and no skin off their nose. If it's not you might well pay them even more money to add it. So they'll make some more out of you.

But if your not covered you really really want to know about it. And you want it in writing that that you are covered - that is you want the positive evidence not the hope that no negative evidence will be enough.

• Agree 2

Atone moment I have 500k with my super fund and it comes with almost no exclusions. If you try to increase cover above this default limit, then you have to go into full disclosure about all risky activities including flying ultralights.