Prop spinners

Rodr

anyone know of a spinner manufacturer in Aus that could build a small spinner for a wooden prop on a Rotax suitable for a replica tiger moth?

• Caution 1

What base diameter are you looking for? I have a mould for a spinner of around 200mm base diameter - here's a piccy of a trial mould of it I made recently for my own project:

1159363999_Spinner1.jpg.90a8c720ce18b7cc45bbf187a47a0cea.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Oscar the diam needed is around 130mm or 5inches any larger would look odd as the moth spinner is traditionally very small like a nipple on a tit!

I would place a picture of the prop here but unsure of how to do it!!!

Cheers

Thanks Oscar the diam needed is around 130mm or 5inches any larger would look odd as the moth spinner is traditionally very small like a nipple on a tit!I would place a picture of the prop here but unsure of how to do it!!!

Cheers

Click on upload a file, then its self explanatory.

Now I want to see that nipple on a tit you spoke of 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Cummins spinners do nice work using the correct metals. That a nice tiger replica there rodr. Has it flown yet...see you have the right engine in it too.....

Thanks for the info Maj hasn't flown but it's begging too , just doing the paper work .

I'm not good at this Mick so how do I pm my ph 0428843062

image.jpg.98998622f2232de9da85eecf31463d71.jpg

• Like 1

Have a sonex one which would be suitable Pm meMick w

G'day Mick I found this by accident I have been a member for years but only to read not to post so I don't understand the mechanics of the system if you text me your ph # I will give you a call when suitable time for you

Cheers

Rod 0428843062

• Winner 1

Interesting spinner attachment on a Jab in Italy I saw recently.Phil

Dont touch Duc Helices, long story but prop didnt fit or work well, still owe me $2K and i returned product to them

Have had failures on Jabirus

Not honest people

Those deflectors are bolt on fit to any spinner,

• Informative 1

Guest Maj Millard
Thanks for the info Maj hasn't flown but it's begging too , just doing the paper work .I'm not good at this Mick so how do I pm my ph 0428843062

Rodr....built one myself from scratch and test flew. Don't dilly dally ...be aggressive with a bipe they like to loose airspeed quick due draggyness, and can be reluctant to land, so keep some forward stick into them for the above reasons. Getting the motor running perfect on ground and especially in climb attitude ( fuel flow) is important, last thing you need to be worrying about during initial flights. A long grass strip is the way to go if you've got one...they like to float sometimes. Don't carry any tail heaviness if possible and don't mess around trying for wheelers initially, be happy with three pointer for a while. Make sure your engine idle is set at 1700-1800 rams...no more or it'll never land. If you don't have the experience or skill to perform flight tests then get someone who does. Looks like that one will fly very nice if GC is all good.

Best of luck.

image.jpg.0f01388ac6af657d7a6f94bce9708469.jpg

• 5 months later...

I may be teaching granny to suck eggs as they say, but a tip for balancing spinners:-

I started out trying to hang the thing from the point using fine fishing line with a lot of messing about and not much result.

Then I heard about this way......

Get a bucket of water, hold the spinner point down in the water and fill it with as much water as you can, close to the prop cut-outs.

It should then float with the spinner rim level - I got high tech and propped a laser level up on bricks so it shone across it to check.

Being frictionless you can make it slowly spin and if it floats at an angle, add small weights near the rim until level.

I attached small washers initially with BluTac and finally with epoxy to the inside of my GRP spinner.

Simple innit!

Nick

• Like 2
  • Informative 3
  • Winner 1

Rodr, that is a beautiful aeroplane. I gather you built it - which kit was it? Or did you build from plans? Well done!

Nick, great tip for spinner balance. I'm going to grab the wife's laundry bucket tomorrow. . .

Bruce

Rodr, that is a beautiful aeroplane. I gather you built it - which kit was it? Or did you build from plans? Well done!Nick, great tip for spinner balance. I'm going to grab the wife's laundry bucket tomorrow. . .

Bruce

Built from a Fisher kit R-80 tiger moth replica have just completed the 25hrs testing all good changed prop from the wood 76" to a composite ground adjustable 74" made a hellava diff in performance now 70kts at 5200rpm Rotax 912uls.