Oshkosh

Keith Page

Roscoe go to the aeromart that is the place for bargains, you do not have to buy everything just look through there is some good value things hiding under something.. One good one Cessna aerials $40.. I have to add - things are good for home builds as there are no release notes.

Go AN hardware places bolts about third price we have to pay in Aus.

When you bring your goodies back through Aus customs they are "Samples" as you will not have commercial quantities of anything.

Regards

KP.

• Informative 1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, don't underestimate the value of making 'networking' contacts with key people in places like the EAA, and even the FAA Small Aircraft Directorate. If Darren can, for instance, get a decent handle on how repairs and modifications are done in the USA, MARAP might be further refined.

what we network on digital mags??

So that is OK?

Regards,

KP

• Agree 2

Guest ozzie

For a good time find the South Africans in the camping area.

Don't forget Seaplane Base. Most excellent to get away from the crowd and the heat in the afternoon. Exhilarating 10 minute bus ride too, those school buses haul ass.

Go for a ride on the Ford Tri Motor and get a look at the place from above.

And don't forget the free BBQ and lots local beer.

Ozzie the South Africans will get the red tea out - try it and you will be hooked, I drink it now.

Those old yellow and black busses they never stop.

Have you tried the John Deer trains? They move loads of people too.

The international pilots dinner that is not to be missed as well.

Regards,

KP.

• Haha 1

No, we communicate on digital sites. Networking is FTF.

Oscar.. I know we communicate on digital I know that networking is Face to Face =(FTF)..

However someone up the management tree thinks a computer screen is far superior to a magazine, so to highlight that point. We are paying for a mag is a de facto membership rise, exactly the same as these pollies we have now, when we hear --- there will be no increase in tax but the increase has a different name ...... Ok! Still an increase that does make an iota of difference still an increase.

I must mention again Oscar ------ RAAus is member's organisation so when members have things going against their wishes trouble brews.

Magazine:- To me there was not enough looking into alternatives, it was just a modern mind set "Digital" and this what we got.

Regards,

KP.

• Agree 3

People are concerned about our member organisation sending up to three people to Oshkosh in this climate of austerity being enforced on the membership. Regular member services like a readable paper copy of the revised operations manual, a readable paper copy of our magazine, and even the delivery of the much lauded technical manual revision are becoming distant memories. When I joined just a few years ago these things were core business, were what you got for you membership.

• Agree 5

People are concerned about our member organisation sending up to three people to Oshkosh in this climate of austerity being enforced on the membership. Regular member services like a readable paper copy of the revised operations manual, a readable paper copy of our magazine, and even the delivery of the much lauded technical manual revision are becoming distant memories. When I joined just a few years ago these things were core business, were what you got for you membership.

rankamateur.... Here.. Here..

So beautifully put, austerity and the members cop this..

What I am thinking now, if all that is going on --- so what are the hidden factors??.

Regards,

KP.

• Agree 2

Would you perhaps be harking back to the golden days of the Runciman-Tizzard hegemony? When RAA was a by-word for effectiveness, accuracy in its regulatory oversight and fiscal propriety? Many people remember that time fondly, at least for its passing..

If you want a professionally run organisation then let it be run as a business. The senior people need to be aware of what is happening elsewhere and Oshkosh is the best place in the world to find out. I don't begrudge a cent of the cost.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Guest asmol

There was talk about this today at the airfield.

2 of the 3 are over there at their own expense on their holidays as a personal trip, one has had airfares paid and wages paid as if at work normally.

Perhaps you should ask before spruking that they are all their on a holiday at our expense and stirring everyone up.

I applaud them for showing the interest in doing this out of work study tour rather than being at home or on the beach like the rest of normal employed people

Guest Maj Millard

Thank you asmol for presenting the facts......rather then supporting the usual incorrect speculation that is often ripe on this forum.

All members at Oshkosh are more than capable of attending at their own cost, and I applaud them for taking their own hard- earned holiday time to upgrade their knowledge base to our organisations benifit

Darren has certainly earned any break he gets after attending all the gruesome fatal accidents that he has had to this year (ditto Jill) on your behalf. That is certainly no fun.

If the CEO has seen fit to finance one employee attendance to Oshkosh, than as a board member I have no drama with that...we will reap the rewards for members for sure.

What did you think of his mods?

I don't claim any expertise wrt engines so I won't offer an opinion however I am quite confident that he will succeed based on what I have seen of the way he goes about things.

• Agree 2

Making our way home after having a great week at AirVenture. 3 flights, almost offloaded by Delta but managed to survive and then (after 30 min delay) 1 hour into the flight from LA to Brisbane and the Virgin pilot announces that the windscreen has cracked and we have to go back to LA.

Made it back to LA no dramas but now 2.30am. Tired and hungry. Everyone back in the Terminal, but its all closed up. Virgin had to call in staff to look after us. 3 hour wait and they finally put us on coach to find accommodation. Everywhere is full.

2 coaches have already left. 1 with families with small children and those with special needs. Limited rooms available. We were told to take pillows and blankets with us in to the Terminal .... so expected a long wait.

At last, the 3rd coach and finally got on. Went round the corner and we all got off at the Sheraton. No rooms (as yet) so they put on breakfast for us. Yes, all you can eat until the rooms are ready. Now 7.30am and there not going to be ready until 10.00, if we can stay awake that long. The Sheraton is now wondering what they have let themselves in for, as everyone has come out of breakfast and are laying where ever they can. Don't know what the paying guests must think. We were not allowed to bring our cases (they are still on the plane) so I guess we will all be getting back on the plane tomorrow as we are, phew! and then another 12 hours

Latest news possibly 5.30 pm departure tomorrow afternoon. Window will have been fixed long before then but the crew have to have 12 hours rest.

I wish we could. AirVenture already seems such a long time ago

• Like 1