Handgun-firing drone

Well if big brother can why can't I?

It would surprise me if this was the first one doing this, I would think anyone with even a small amount of rc experience could do this. It is a wonder that something similar with a fpv setup isn't common place police issue. But where do you stop.

An awesome can of worms.

Slightly off subject, I saw recently where officials said they were unable to adequately fight a fire that destroyed houses and a few cars because drones prevented firefighting helicopters getting close enough.

Guest ozzie

seems he may be in a lot of poop for this. FAA is looking at the rules for carrying weapons and the FBI are very interested plus he did it in a public park so parks and wildlife are after their pound of flesh.

I can see the headlines now.

FBI is searching for two drones wearing balaclavas that held up a bank today. One that was carrying a 45 handgun bailed up tellers while the other ordered that the bag he was carrying be filled with unmarked bills. ha.

Well if big brother can why can't I?It would surprise me if this was the first one doing this, I would think anyone with even a small amount of rc experience could do this. It is a wonder that something similar with a fpv setup isn't common place police issue. But where do you stop.

An awesome can of worms.

Surely this stupidity is not covered by their Bill of Rights. Before America gets even more crazy, a sensible Administration would pull out all stops to make anything like this illegal, with BIG penalties.

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

You may not be too far of the mark there Ozzie.

The potential use of drones for nefarious purposes is great. Just use your imagination and almost anything is possible.

Crims are already using them for drug deals- clever use that. As drones get bigger the options are mind boggling.

Why risk been caught with 20lbs of drugs crossing borders when a good large rc plane can send it to your local park/deserted road etc.

The future of crime will be very interesting.

Somewhere some smart alec is developing a micro drone that could track a persons phone, hone in and then explode on target- scary but entirely feasable.

We have entered a new age.

Beware not just skynet but crimnet.

Somewhere some smart alec is developing a micro drone that could track a persons phone, hone in and then explode on target- scary but entirely feasable.

I remember seeing a video on here about that, a swarm of insect-sized explosive drones. As if real mozzies aren't bad enough!

Technology well in front of law and law enforcement

If he had a permit for the handgun, what was he doing wrong? (forgetting the State parks BS, plenty allow shooting anyway)

Ill bet theres many now similarly equipped after this internet success.

Technology well in front of law and law enforcementIf he had a permit for the handgun, what was he doing wrong? (forgetting the State parks BS, plenty allow shooting anyway)

Ill bet theres many now similarly equipped after this internet success.

...if you go down to the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Many people in public life will now need to be very afraid. A drone is the perfect untraceable assassination device.

Yes it would have been handy when Kevin Dud was a problem.

• Haha 1

Well I'm not sure what the FAA rules are for carrying firearms in the air but reading through some of the CASA rules it sounds like he would be in trouble even if it was an empty firearm and no shots fired............

Makes me wonder about the legality of taking a firearm from one property to another in the plane!

Well I'm not sure what the FAA rules are for carrying firearms in the air but reading through some of the CASA rules it sounds like he would be in trouble even if it was an empty firearm and no shots fired............Makes me wonder about the legality of taking a firearm from one property to another in the plane!

It is illegal to carry a firearm in a plane.

You can get permission from CASA to carry firearms but seems there is a lot of confusion in regards to doing so.

I did see a draft of a rule that basically said if pilot in command gives you written permission it was ok, which would mean you would have to write yourself a letter if flying yourself??

• Caution 1

Is it a aircraft? and who is carrying the firearm? Not sure its got anything to do with aviation really

The rules are there to protect passengers/pilots and there arent any. I think PIC can approve firearm carriage in private ops anyway

CASA wouldnt care if its flown below xxx ft and away from airfields. Not their problem.

This has already been done a couple of years ago...but on a bigger scale...watch right until the end for the finale

I am not sure about that one that UAV does not look serious enough to carry that firearm

Pistos can only be used at pistol clubs in Australia and machine guns are not allowed.

Back in the nineties we got a letter from the Queenslands Weapons branch and a letter from CASA to carry my H&K USP 9mm hand gun which was registered to me and at the time I only had a Pistol club licence. In our Piper Archer from Archerfield to Cape York. It was no problem what so ever as long as we kept the ammunition locked in a seperate container to my pistol and of course the pistol had to be locked in its own container as well . I was in the Airforce at the time, but that didnt make any difference. We said the aircraft was going to fly over hostile ( crocs, buffalo ect) isolated country and they said no problem.

Of course these days are tottally different with the bleeding heart squads.