I can feel a Jodel coming on...

Guest browng

Guest browng

Well folks my Jodel D11 (VH-EMH) is now parked in the hanger at the Ballarat Flying Club ready for collection.....and I'm excited! I hope to be going over to collect it and fly back over here on Sunday 21st. Can anybody tell me if Ballarat has an AVGAS pump that takes a fuel card? any fuel card?

I will be staying on the airfield for a day doing circuits and bumps and upper air work, as I haven't flown a Jodel since Pontius was a pilot, and I suppose knowing 'what does what' is a good idea before tackling the Nullarbor, especially as this is a highly complex and sophisticated type, with advanced systems like a battery, thats right, it actually has electrikery like a radio you don't have to charge on the kitchen table. Rumor even has it that by reciting incantations and touching her in special places the engine can be started from the inside!, what will they think of next eh! One problem is that in spite of the objections of the moral majority, they have put the seats side-by-side, instead of the more acceptable tandem configuration. I can only assume that it will be placarded "No Mixed Gender Crew Permitted", or God knows what distractions the poor pilot may be faced with.

EDIT - Intended route

Ballarat - Loxton - Port Pirie - Ceduna - Nullarbor Motel - Cocklebiddy - Balladonia - Wave Rock - Bindoon - My Bed. = Total flight time around 15 hours (58yo bladder permitting).

Guest browng
Why Loxton Browng?

Because I don't have the endurance for Ballarat direct to Port Pirie, Loxton is 'fairly' close to track and has Avgas. I'm open to suggestions though, (except Waikerie where I got dirty fuel when I flew my J3 across, and was 'NOT happy Jan').

EDIT - Does anybody know anything about YLAO (Lameroo) ? It is directly on track between Ballarat and Port Pirie, while Loxton is well north of track. I can't find any details on it, and it's not in the ERSA. If it had AVGAS it would be ideal instead of Loxton.

Guest browng
When did they put Avgas in at Loxton?

I don't know, but apparently the ERSA says they have AVGAS

Lameroo is a big Gyropter Club not much Avgas there.

Nuff said..

Waikerie will now sting you $20.00

I wouldn't go to back to Waikerie if they paid ME $20.00

Best to come to Mildura Port Pirie or Renmark

Mildura is not a bad idea though, it's a bit more north of track, but it's a great airfield with top facilities, and Port Pirie is an easy hop from there. I'll take a serious look at that option, thanks.

Avgas at Loxton would be suprising.

Loxton sticks out in my memory, in May last year en-route from Waikerie to Loxton my GPS died (GPS external power wiring problem resulted in flat GPS batteries). Clock and compass got me over the township of Loxton but the airfield was nowhere in sight from 2000ft AGL over the town.

My options were to orbit over the town until another aircraft in our group appeared, try to get the GPS up for long enough for a bearing & distance, or to land in a paddock somewhere and canibalise batteries from the camera to put in the GPS. (They both use AA's).

Thankfully another aircraft from our group arrived over the township, whom I radioed and followed to the Loxton airstrip another 6Nm further ESE of the town.

Loxton airstrip was a dirt strip with a large tin shed/hangar, looking like countless other properties in the area. Still, better than nothing.

Oh, and Waikerie was a great experience for us as we stayed for 2 nights in the stateroom in the top deck of the River Boat Queen, our our trike uses Mogas.

Cheers,

Glen

Guest browng
If you do come up through Mildura browng I will try and meet you and may be able to show you this

That looks like a very nice PA-18.....