Guess This Aircraft ?

Lots of differences, OME.

Hey! I said I didn't have an encyclopedic knowledge. It's just that the fin shape is soooo de Haviland, and the picture you posted had a different one.

Anyway, any small plane is a Cessna!

• Haha 1

While you are all tearing your hair out (what little you may have left) trying to identify the above aircraft, can you answer this quiz question?Who thought up the idea of towing a glider behind an aircraft?

Many who in the early days had to push them to the launch point. Probably always more than 1,200 meters then came the wing wheel inovation. Cheers

I'm intrigued by the fact that a small, low-powered plane (Tiger Moth, Tri-Pacer, Jabiru) can get itself into the air while towing another.

I can only think that the towed glider simply adds to the total drag acting on the powered plane, so how much extra drag would the glider add to the powered plane?

If it's actually Ercoupe photos you are looking for, try this page. The tail no's with camera icons beside them are records with one or more photos.

Search Aircraft by Model

Incidentally, the ER in Ercoupe stand for Engineering & Research

Meanwhile,back at the ranch,any ideas on the red and yellow machine?

• Like 1

The red and yellow aircraft in post #405 is an SNCAC NC.858S. This aircraft is based on the Nord NC.853 - major production version with twin tails and Minié 4DC.30 engine (29 built). The 858S was re-engined with a Continental C90 engine. A military version, the NC.856 was used for artillery spotting.

After looking at some pics taken from a U2 at 70,000ft I was looking at the Beale AFB in California and saw the following pics. I wonder if anyone can explain them?

The first shows three aircraft and the white long winged one intrigues me particularly, bigger span than the U2, but I'd be interested to know what the small one is as well. Starfighter?

The second pic is a bit strange, piggy back U2s (?) or it just a pair of overlaid Google images that aren't quite properly registered?

The third show another of those high aspect ratio things which almost looks like some kind of cruise bomb but appears to have a single seat cockpit.

And the last image shows the same plane with another U2 nearby. It's certainly not small and obviously intended to fly high. Does that mean it's another high level surveillance aircraft replacing the Blackbird perhaps?

I expect there'll be some folks on here that will know the answers, thanks.

783128511_BealeAFB_1.png.1d771ec2a63dcc978cfd3a6a89698e69.png

694319336_BealeAFB_2.png.86b02cc4d8c34db8592b67cd3ceba350.png

237191893_BealeAFB_3.png.a66e06cde033e7df9efdb66559404259.png

33353862_BealeAFB_5.png.dfddd6abac3928975bc248fb9e96df5f.png

After looking at some pics taken from a U2 at 70,000ft I was looking at the Beale AFB in California and saw the following pics. I wonder if anyone can explain them?The first shows three aircraft and the white long winged one intrigues me particularly, bigger span than the U2, but I'd be interested to know what the small one is as well. Starfighter?

The second pic is a bit strange, piggy back U2s (?) or it just a pair of overlaid Google images that aren't quite properly registered?

The third show another of those high aspect ratio things which almost looks like some kind of cruise bomb but appears to have a single seat cockpit.

And the last image shows the same plane with another U2 nearby. It's certainly not small and obviously intended to fly high. Does that mean it's another high level surveillance aircraft replacing the Blackbird perhaps?

I expect there'll be some folks on here that will know the answers, thanks.

[ATTACH=full]54071[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]54074[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]54073[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]54072[/ATTACH]

I reckon it's a Global Hawk.

Northrop Grumman RQ-4 Global Hawk - Wikipedia

Global Hawk has a wingspan of 40m compared to the U2's 31, which would fit the picture. Also when you look closely, you can see the V-tail and the engine mounted above the fuselage.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

HITC, The U2 in the second photo is airborne, just about to land. The black image is the shadow on the runway threshold. The ghosting ahead of, and behind the aircraft and shadow is because multiple lenses are used to enable the 3D view. Stationary or slow moving objects are snapped so closely together that movement is not detectable. However, with fast moving objects, the subject moves slightly between exposures. When the images are merged, the ghosting is visible. This is most often noticeable in photos of helicopters with rotors turning. A three blade rotor can come out looking like a 9 blade rotor.

• Informative 1

In fact I think it’s karen Draper’s plane.

I worked in the Medway factory ... where my raven eclipsr in the profile comes out.

Difference to the rainbow aircraft it was based on is easily seen in the drag braces to the main legs coming from the firewall not about 7” back

But I’m not sure it’s Dizzy ... Karen’s had a black spinner last I saw it.