Guess This Aircraft ?

You can't hide the grin on that Volksplane pilot!

Well that’s because he managed to get airborne in it ... he must only weight 2/3 of nothing!!!

The Evans vp2 is really a single seater for modern pilots of standard size ... bit like the original hm290 flying flea was great if you were 5’ 6” tall and weighed less than 70kg

slow of me I know, but how does that tailwheel work? it looks like it would turn against the rudder, but that can't be right

???

The pivot of the tailwheel is at the end of the tailspring at the top of the tailwheel and you can see the links to the control horns coming off the lower rudder - they will turn together

Oh and its a taylor titch.

Lovely little plane - and I do mean little - narrow beyond belief in the cockpit and has about 100kg load available for fuel you and the toothbrush.

Makes the Tipsy Nipper cockpit feel roomy !

L

I'm intrigued by the fact that a small, low-powered plane (Tiger Moth, Tri-Pacer, Jabiru) can get itself into the air while towing another.I can only think that the towed glider simply adds to the total drag acting on the powered plane, so how much extra drag would the glider add to the powered plane?

The glider adds about 36kg extra drag.

• Informative 1

Yes, a 400kg glider with a 30 to one performance has 13kg of drag without the extra load that the climb requires. If the combination were climbing at an angle of 20 to 1 then there is another 400/20=20kg of load in the tow-rope, bringing the total to 33kg or close to nomad's 36kg.

The Jabiru has enough thrust to provide this extra 36kg, although it will reduce the climb rate down to about 360 ft/min, which makes a climb angle of 20 to 1 at 70 knots.

• Informative 1

Yup! Got to see one a few years back at a fly in at Gainesville Texas. It was a warm day. The pilot was really pouring the coal to the old bird on take off. She was smoking like a locomotive, and clawing for all the air she could get. For a moment, I swear it flew backwards.

This one is not for guessing, so I haven't modified it. I just thought it was a really unusual looking aircraft. It is a Payen Katy Delta - experimental.

49714964_Paenkatydelta.JPG.2af674b96d75b7aff9b5021679309163.JPG

Bex, I said in that post that this was not part of the quiz.

Spinner, come right in.

The red plane, don't know, went through all the Stinsons I thought it was, then Pipers and Bearhawks, then Googled bush planes, but I give up.