Guess This Aircraft ?

Brings back memories - of the way it used to be when we first started flying - there were a couple of Vectors in NZ as I recall - both now well gone of course. The model was the 610 I believe.

• Like 1

Marty, You have it! 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

The Blériot XI was a French aircraft, used by Louis Blériot on 25 July 1909 to make the first flight across theEnglish Channel made in a heavier-than-air aircraft. This achievement is one of the most famous accomplishments of the pioneer era of aviation, and not only won Blériot a lasting place in history but also assured the future of his aircraft manufacturing business. The event caused a major reappraisal of the importance of aviation; the English newspaper The Daily Express led its story of the flight with the headline "Britain is no longer an Island".[1]

It was produced in both single- and two-seat versions, powered by a number of different engines and was widely used for competition and training purposes. Military versions were bought by many countries, continuing in service until after the outbreak of World War I in 1914. Two restored examples — one in the United Kingdom and one in the United States — of original Blériot XI aircraft are thought to be the two oldest flyable aircraft in the world

We have one on the field here but its a kit-built replica - powered by a Rotec which so far hasn't produced enough power to make it fly properly. I suspect the Bleriot is quite heavy, and not exactly aerodynamic!

Bf 108 Taifun or licence built copy? There seem to be a couple of variations on the tail shape around. Met one once that had fake guns that pushed LPG into the barrels with igniters going, produced a very convincing "Brrrrrrrrrrp" when strafing surfers.

Bf 108 Taifun or licence built copy? There seem to be a couple of variations on the tail shape around. Met one once that had fake guns that pushed LPG into the barrels with igniters going, produced a very convincing "Brrrrrrrrrrp" when strafing surfers.

Guess it could be, but the 108 had retracts and most of the pics I can find of it have a longer glass canopy and the 109-style tail. Plus they generally had the Argus As10 inverted V8 leading to a wider cowling at the bottom, whereas that one looks narrower, more like inverted straight motor (eg Gipsy Major).

You're right on the retracts - missed that, however some of the Nord built versions had an inverted inline Renault which answers the cowl difference. I went trawling around the net afterwards once the retracts issue penetrated me skull, thinking it may be a forerunner to the 108, however that was the M37 and this isn't it I don't believe.

Got it I think, Bu 181 or perhaps one of its many derivatives eg SK-25, C-106. The right rudder in the original photo disguises the characteristic sweep which you see from side on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1