Guess This Aircraft ?

You are wandering through Russia regularly - Gyros-2 Smartflier.

Knew it as I am intregued by tractor engine gyros - ther Spanish one is sexier in looks than this Russian one.

Many years ago there was an autogyro parked at Essendon, was there for years. I think it was a Mcculloch? Had stub wings, pusher engine and a powered rotorhead for windup I recon. There was an odd one used for mustering.

You are right kasper, the Smartflier. Actually I have been going through lists on Wikipedia trying to find interesting aircraft to add to the Showcase. If I find something a little off-beat, I will add it to my list of mystery aircraft. It is getting harder to find aircraft to profile, because there are nearly 350 on the old forum software which Ian has not hard time to copy over. I might have to start redoing them.

SP, you are right about the McCulloch J-2. I hadn't thought of that one. There are a few photos on the web, so I'll throw together a profile.

The next mystery:

TGTP351.jpg.32453e717bf4a45f86a9e6835c426c1d.jpg

I'm going to go out on a limb, and say a very early or prototype Vickers F.B. 5 or "Gunbus".

But the 4 wheel, spoked undercarriage is not what is commonly seen on the gunbus - although I did see a photo of a gunbus with 4 disc wheels.

I'll go with my first instincts and say a Farman of some sort, not Longhorn or Shorthorn but F40. As usual a lot of Aircraft were copied by a few nations with minor variations.

I have an old photo round somewhere with a Shorthorn in Melbourne I think. It is signed by Richard Graham Carey and titled "The oldest aircraft in Australia flown by the oldest pilot in Australia"

Found this on Wiki

Farman_pusher_biplane_RAE-O594.jpg.8851806e3db3dd172607e6268e9a21eb.jpg

I’m going Farman HF20 or HF27 in the French militaire in WWI. It’s got the right fuselage frames and tail aft, it’s got the correct wings and struts and the closed W struts on the undercarriage are distinctive. Can’t place the exact model as the dark section of fuselage pod is not as I recall them but the roundels and tail stripe look to be French military WWI

Edited by kasper

This one has caused qute a bit of conjecture. It is a Sablatnig Baby. The following discussion from Sablatnig prototypes and projects:

Josef Sablatnig designed the Baby design in 1911 for the Osterreich-Ungarischen Autoplan GmBH (Austro-Hungarian Autoplan Co). It was a two seat pusher biplane.

Engine: 1 x 62.7kW (85 hp) Gnome engine

Length: 9.2 m

Wing Area: 35.0 sq m

Empty Weight: 450 kg

Take-off Weight: 570 kg

Maximum Speed: 120 km/h

Source: Luftfahrzeugbau in Osterreich (Reinhard Keimel) Aviatic Verlag ISBN 3-925505-78-4

In an earlier book by Keimel ("Österreichs Luftfahrzeuge", 1981) the author says it was built in accordance with the military requirements (even if it wasn't a military aircraft), and that the cvonstruction was "robust".

A photograph of the Baby from both books by Keimel.

Attachments

This one is a bit more modern.

TGTP357.thumb.jpg.ea3e5fbe18dbf499c00a26376a1dc4ea.jpg

Sikorsky S-38. An 8 seater amphibian produced from 1928, and Igors first really successful aviation product, with 101 built. Not a bad effort for the Great Depression era, when every other business was going downhill fast.