I remember the Beagle 206's at Shoreham at the time I had my very first lesson in an an Auster, and also the Beagle Pup which I thought was really streamlined for it's time. However Beagle's management needed more people that knew what was really needed, so the large scale of sales envisaged sadly never really materialised long term.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, Googles algorithms find virtually everything that has ever been posted for public display. And I've spent 20 yrs fine-tuning my internet searching abilities.   As a little thread drift

Yep. One pilot stated that it "took off at 120mph, cruised at 120 mph and landed at 120 mph."

Spot on Peter. I thought it would take a little longer. This one should go in 5 minutes.  

Posted Images

10 hours ago, red750 said:

The twin was called the Bassett.

Interesting, another dog! Shame though, it was a pretty aeroplane!

4 hours ago, planedriver said:

I remember the Beagle 206's at Shoreham at the time I had my very first lesson in an an Auster, and also the Beagle Pup which I thought was really streamlined for it's time. However Beagle's management needed more people that knew what was really needed, so the large scale of sales envisaged sadly never really materialised long term.

Without wishing to cause too much thread drift I have a story about Beagle. As a young know it all apprentice I visited Rearsby in the very early days of Beagle. I was actually doing an aircraft design course at Loughborough University ( I like telling people that, but it was actually a short course for amateurs held at the University over an Easter weekend!) Anyway, part of it was a visit to Beagle and  I with all my knowledge told them that the Pup, with all it’s stretch formed skins, dissimilar material welding and complex oleo style main undercarriage was too complex to be a success. Strangely I was right. At that time they had two light twins, the B206 and another which was smaller and I don’t think went into production.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, red750 said:

Not this time Derek.

Didn’t really think so, but it was the closest thing I could find!

Edited by derekliston
Spelling error

2001 Meyers MAC-145B Miss Micco

Somewhere between 19to21 MAC-145s were built, each to a specific customer order, probably why other photo show a slightly different tail shape

The Diamond D-jet. A single engine 5 seater, it has never reached production status, and the Diamond Aircraft company was purchased by the Chinese Wanfeng company in Dec 2016.

Yes, Googles algorithms find virtually everything that has ever been posted for public display. And I've spent 20 yrs fine-tuning my internet searching abilities.

As a little thread drift - about 17 yrs ago, I actually found a stolen backhoe for a bloke in the U.S. He came onto one of the tractor forums complaining his backhoe had been knocked off.

We got all the details off him - make, model, serial number - and I went internet searching with a vengeance.

I found an identical backhoe listed for sale on a small marketplace site, a couple of states away, with just one digit difference in the serial number.

It was too obvious - the digit that was different, was one that could be easily altered - like an "8" instead of a "6". I went back onto the forum, and messaged him with my suspicions.

He came back a few days later, saying he'd alerted the police - they inspected the backhoe, it was definitely his - and the police seized it, and pounced on a gang who'd been knocking off a substantial amount of construction equipment!

He couldn't believe it, that a bloke on the other side of the world, just doing searches with a computer, could track his stolen backhoe down for him!

I must admit, your thread has amazed me, at just how many different aircraft have been built. It's been reported that over 50,000 different makes of cars have been built, I reckon the number of aircraft types and models must be right up there with the number of different cars built.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 4

We'll pay out on that one, PMcC. I thought the 2-blade prop would throw most people off the scent.

All the BE2 photos show a 4 blade prop, I have no idea why this one is wearing a fancy 2-blade job. I can only presume it was an experimental prop. Dated 1913.