Guess This Aircraft ?

The Sikorsky S-21, also known as the Sikorsky Russky Vityaz (Russian Knight), the world's first 4 engine aircraft, built in 1913. It was powered by 4, 4 cyl, 100HP Argus engines.

In the finest Russian fashion of making things strong, like Vodka! - it was built in the Russian Baltic Railroad Car Works!

Igor initially designed it as a twin-engine aircraft, but it was seriously underpowered, and failed to get airborne! So he just added 2 more engines! - whereupon it flew, and flew quite well.

The size of the Russky Vityaz led to debate about it being a hoax perpetrated by the Russians - as, at that early stage of aviation, no aircraft of those massive dimensions had ever been built - let alone flown.

The Russky Vityaz was 20M long, had an upper wingspan of 28M and a lower wingspan of 20M. It could carry 7 passengers - but its flying speed at 49kts was "leisurely", to say the least.

In line with the incredible machines construction, it was also destroyed in an equally incredible manner. Whilst parked, an engine fell off a passing Morane single-seat aircraft that was landing, and the engine fell right onto the S-21, causing so much damage to it, Igor chose not to waste large amounts of time rebuilding it - and went on to his next design, the Ilya Muromets.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=pst.000063000085&view=1up&seq=284

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

This is not fair any more, let me tell you why.

People are using Google image search, so all you do is right click and save your photograph. Then take the photograph and drop it into Google image search and it will bring up dozens of links and information based on the photograph. 

I saw this working on a TV show called Catfish on the weekend and tried it out just now.

it takes all of the fun out of researching for some different aircraft photographs.

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=sbi:AMhZZisf-mDt0QNBiBCGfTMhYV0KLU3_1Kj7rUBtkWxv0TTNh5sxp-LgH4snN2AFthO8MpJ7c1rNav3MZ0Ql8q3Jz6dCb3kHT0gUCoQL4NjvlB21pLw-nHkOT0xlkCnYMkq1m2KHtyiaM-EACJ2YDoH_1-hILAU-mMFFSyHYnLFBAohh_1TXmsJkgVQBvSEn3jVBORZo9niIy1iwA0anuJLdLcsKEziVv3LUSHsrDRSD6LkxHMdzidsJm3Vo26UiJsCSV_1fmArNWDhndT5MRWGKcdXHBaLGTjDA-vR7z-qOETwJ3VwIl1VvO9B398hMPsCi_1H1ttKvhGMr--J85LC_1K9ucwwMeZ9g1QFA&hl=en-AU

1 minute ago, FlyBoy1960 said:

This is not fair any more, let me tell you why.

People are using Google image search, so all you do is right click and save your photograph. Then take the photograph and drop it into Google image search and it will bring up dozens of links and information based on the photograph. 

I saw this working on a TV show called Catfish on the weekend and tried it out just now.

it takes all of the fun out of researching for some different aircraft photographs.

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=sbi:AMhZZisf-mDt0QNBiBCGfTMhYV0KLU3_1Kj7rUBtkWxv0TTNh5sxp-LgH4snN2AFthO8MpJ7c1rNav3MZ0Ql8q3Jz6dCb3kHT0gUCoQL4NjvlB21pLw-nHkOT0xlkCnYMkq1m2KHtyiaM-EACJ2YDoH_1-hILAU-mMFFSyHYnLFBAohh_1TXmsJkgVQBvSEn3jVBORZo9niIy1iwA0anuJLdLcsKEziVv3LUSHsrDRSD6LkxHMdzidsJm3Vo26UiJsCSV_1fmArNWDhndT5MRWGKcdXHBaLGTjDA-vR7z-qOETwJ3VwIl1VvO9B398hMPsCi_1H1ttKvhGMr--J85LC_1K9ucwwMeZ9g1QFA&hl=en-AU

To be fair ... a few of the older farts on this group have read so much stuff over the years we do not need to use reverse image search ... best 6 month ocntract of my university life was cataloging aviation films to build the database for use in a film library ... many hundreds of hours watching and investigating ... and that was back before the internet existed 😛

• Like 1

And as I posted earlier, I use Google but a description in words to search. Sometimes I waste (enjoy) an hour doing it. I agree image search is cheating, but the few times I tried it for an aeroplane it always found a Cessna 172.

• Haha 1

more to the point I am absolutely surprised after watching the TV show how you can pick any image and drop it into Google and it will bring up everything. It can take all of the fun out of looking for  aircraft that you think you have seen and are trying to remember where.

Technology, soon we won't be needing typesetters working on our daily newspapers, or people delivering milk every morning

Edited by FlyBoy1960
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, we are on the internet here, and we all regard the internet as our own big library right at hand. But Google is not always 100% right, as pmccarthy says. And I can stuff up Google searches by altering an internet photo, so Google algorithms don't recognise it.

Remember, these are the same Google algorithms that the marketers use, that direct you to a personal vibrator ad, immediately after you've gone on a search for a "vibrating roller". 

• Haha 1

Nope, not English. Designed in the mid-1930's to be a Polar Exploration aircraft, only one prototype was built, it performed well, with the ability to land on both snow and water.

But the Govt of the day, after initially placing an order for 5 aircraft, then canned the project, for reasons unknown (political, or impending war, being the possible reasons for the about-face).

Nope, but I believe the designer decided to construct an aircraft that closely aligned with the Dornier Wal design. One of the more interesting parts of the design is that the designer initially proposed ducted fans for the props, and drawings show this feature. But someone higher-up ruled the design as "too futuristic" and impractical, and the design was changed to reflect conventional design thinking.

4 hours ago, FlyBoy1960 said:

Technology, soon we won't be needing typesetters working on our daily newspapers, or people delivering milk every morning

Check out the video in Funny Videos, Social Aust. (off topic) posted today.

• Like 1

Kasper gets the Cigar. Bartini DAR it is. The page below is most informative, although it gives little information about Robert Bartini, the highly talented designer (you'll need to translate the page).

https://www.ecured.cu/Bartini_DAR

This Wikipedia entry is quite informative as regards Bartini. An Italian avowed Communist, he was born in Fiume, which is now known as Rijeka in Croatia.

Bartini spent a lot of time in Russia (because he obviously loved Communism), but was distrusted as a Mussolini supporter, initially.

Then in 1938, under Stalins constant purges, he was accused of being a Fascist spy, tried by a troika, and jailed for 10 yrs.

It took a long time for him to be accepted, then "rehabilitated" and approved, under the Communist system.

But he was a gifted aircraft designer, and quite a number of Russian aircraft designers recognised him for this skill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Ludvigovich_Bartini

Edited by onetrack

I hope this one hasn't been put up before ...

What country built it, in what year, and what defined its place in aircraft development history?

JI.jpg

Edited by onetrack

• 2 weeks later...