Do you have "Hanger Problems" and how much do you Pay to Rent?

SSCBD

Hi All

Just some questions on what people are doing with Hanger Space and what you are paying each month where.

Like to get an idea on what is fair and what is not for a Raa aircraft.

Anyone got any great solutions to the space/ hanger problems on strips.

I get a pretty good deal off my hangar owner, pay about $1350 a year, ($27 a week) for a secure right on the apron hangar, been with them for over 11 years now and no problems whatsoever.

Alf

Hi AllJust some questions on what people are doing with Hanger Space and what you are paying each month where.

Like to get an idea on what is fair and what is not for a Raa aircraft.

Anyone got any great solutions to the space/ hanger problems on strips.

By hanger space do you mean a wardrobe ? Or hangar space for and aircraft ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That was always my plan, if I got stuck for space I thought I will just drop another container down near the gliders and fold the wings, no-one will ever know. Ooops did I just say that out loud.

"Anyone got any great solutions to the space/ hanger problems on strips"

The problem is existing airports around the major city's are flat and very valuable. Operation of a airport can never give the return on these assets realized value so that seals there fate as development sites.

Hangars are very expensive to build and has the gulf between what the perceived rent should be and what the spread sheet says it has to be and I for one would never put a $140K on rented land.

Hangarage has been in short supply at Albany Regional Airport for over 10 years now. There have been no sites available for at least 6 years, (plenty of space tho'), because the landlord seemingly cannot make a decision about whether it wants to be a landlord or not! Our landlord has also been tardy in recognising that the entire hangar area has a drainage problem, much less fixing it permanently.

As a consequence of this procrastination, many owners have migrated to Denmark, where a number of new hangars have been built in the past 5 years. There has been 'talk' for years about a mass migration to a new, small aircraft location - but with an expanding City of 35,000, the surrounding land has become expensive, and the smaller farm owners less amenable to any form of noise.

The 'going' rates here seem to be from $90/month for a smaller aircraft up to $140/month for a C182 size. Full security airport requiring ASIC, plus gate card for vehicle access to hangar area. Original 20 year leases all expiring, and hangar site lease rates have jumped from $1.80/m2 to $9/m2 on only a 10 year lease with many 'picky' conditions. Lessees must pay for their own power connections. No water service.

happy days,

I wonder what the absolute minimum hangar design would be. At Bankstown, I've seen something akin to a carport for protecting planes from the sun. I reckon that the minimum would be a "planeport" set out at 90 degrees to the prevailing wind and with a wall at the windward end. Does tend to force hangars to one side of an airfield, and probably would require the grading of taxiways.

OME

The other day at the Oaks we came up with the idea of putting two containers the right distance apart, then bolting on a roof and maybe some protection at the far end. I'd really like one that was double height, too - but would probably need some I-beams across the top to support the roof.

• Like 1

Guest ozzie

Noticed the new hangers at Rutherford have all been filled rather quickly. There are two with twins in them not quite big enough with the tails hanging outside.

My father-in-law built an impressive shed out of two shipping containers, but it has a steel A-frame roof supported by steel beams. He keeps a couple of trucks and cars in it that are being restored. I'll see if I can dig up a photo.

you mean like this?http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SHIPPING-CONTAINER-SHELTER-or-SITE-OFFICE-Suit-20-Container-Heavy-Duty-/271949328042?hash=item3f51716eaa

The difficulty I see is that in a strong wind when you want a hanger to protect your aircraft a shipping container is blowing down the runway...

An industrial area near me has several of these. Been there some years and seem structurally secure.....

you mean like this?http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SHIPPING-CONTAINER-SHELTER-or-SITE-OFFICE-Suit-20-Container-Heavy-Duty-/271949328042?hash=item3f51716eaa

The difficulty I see is that in a strong wind when you want a hanger to protect your aircraft a shipping container is blowing down the runway...

We have been using these for years at work. Very sturdy.

• Helpful 1