Nose down on landing

So, I'm 15 hours into RPL and loving it - all seems to be coming together but about every 1 in 6 landings my instructor chips me for pushing the control column forward after the main wheels touch - I know not to do it and I'm actually not conscious of doing it - any tips/tricks/advice on how to refine this?

So, I'm 15 hours into RPL and loving it - all seems to be coming together but about every 1 in 6 landings my instructor chips me for pushing the control column forward after the main wheels touch - I know not to do it and I'm actually not conscious of doing it - any tips/tricks/advice on how to refine this?

Yeah, you have to drum it into yourself that you want to hold the nose wheel off as long as possible, if not the nose wheel might collapse. Thinking that nose wheel legs that have been abused can and do collapse is normally enough.

But, remember that sometimes you will put weight on the nose wheel during the ground roll when you have an oh sh!t moment.eg- needing to brake heavily for what ever reason.

Nose legs are built with strength in mind but also with a minimum weight in mind, treat them gently.

• Agree 1

Yeah, you have to drum it into yourself that you want to hold the nose wheel off as long as possible, if not the nose wheel might collapse. Thinking that nose wheel legs that have been abused can and do collapse is normally enough.

But, remember that sometimes you will put weight on the nose wheel during the ground roll when you have an oh sh!t moment.eg- needing to brake heavily for what ever reason.

Nose legs are built with strength in mind but also with a minimum weight in mind, treat them gently.

Human Factors - any "memory" message, like saying out loud "touch.....and hold"

• Like 1

Human Factors - any "memory" message, like saying out loud "touch.....and hold"

You could do a couple of hours in a taildragger, but all that is telling me, is that our standards of flying training are sadly poor. you should always be holding the nose wheel off when you land, also don't taxi fast and be sparing in brake use.

• Agree 2

You could do a couple of hours in a taildragger, but all that is telling me, is that our standards of flying training are sadly poor. you should always be holding the nose wheel off when you land, also don't taxi fast and be sparing in brake use.

Simple - fly and hold the wheels off the ground at two feet along the runway - do not try and land the aircraft or push it down (understand this very clear ) and it will do it (land) all by itself with the stick / control will be all the way back. Problem fixed! Simple!

Simple - fly and hold the wheels off the ground at two feet along the runway - do not try and land the aircraft or push it down (understand this very clear ) and it will do it (land) all by itself with the stick / control will be all the way back. Problem fixed! Simple!

When landing you should finally end up with the stick fully back before the nosewheel touches i.e. the elevator runs out of lift so to speak. Try a few touch-and-go's without the nosewheel touching down at all. It's fun and not at all hard, just a trickle of power at the right moment + elevator control, then power up again to go.

On this topic I'd like to learn how to do touch-and-go's on one of the rear wheels only like Bob Hoover - can anyone here teach me this trick? play_ball.gif.9e7a1737cf48411f62e335c8c96e44ff.gif

• Like 1

When landing you should finally end up with the stick fully back before the nosewheel touches i.e. the elevator runs out of lift so to speak. Try a few touch-and-go's without the nosewheel touching down at all. It's fun and not at all hard, just a trickle of power at the right moment + elevator control, then power up again to go.

On this topic I'd like to learn how to do touch-and-go's on one of the rear wheels only like Bob Hoover - can anyone here teach me this trick? play_ball.gif.9e7a1737cf48411f62e335c8c96e44ff.gif

practice touch & goes without letting the nosewheel touch while reconfiguring flaps etc, I've found that if you can consistently do that 3 times in a row then you have probably 'got it' 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Just saw your post GG - we're on the same page here.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

practice touch & goes without letting the nosewheel touch while reconfiguring flaps etc, I've found that if you can consistently do that 3 times in a row then you have probably 'got it' 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Just saw your post GG - we're on the same page here.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif