Astronomy joke

ayavner

I am having trouble understanding what Flying dog is trying to say.

I understand about oranges being green, but so are bananas, black sapote paw paw and mangosteen, just preferably not when we eat them.

"The reason why oranges are green in a tropical climate is because the weather rarely gets cold. Because of the lack of cool weather, the chlorophyll remains in the skin of the orange, keeping it green. When an orange is exposed to cool weather while still on the branch it turns to orange. And orange that is left on the tree can change between green and orange several times depending on the weather.

This change of colors also means it’s impossible to tell if an orange is ripe. Fortunately for us, you don’t have to pay attention to if an orange is ripe. It remains ripe for a long time, even if left on the branch until the next season. The reason all of our oranges are orange in the store is because oranges are generally grown in subtropical areas, which means that they are exposed to cold weather. Oranges were able to give their name to the color because, most oranges are actually orange and not green."

Ripe green oranges in the hot,

Unripe orange oranges in the cold.

Seems legit. ;)

If cold discolours chlorophyll... Why do evergreens stay green in sub-zero temps?

I guess somewhere like Borneo or north Vietnam where cold is defined as +25 C might have green oranges.

I'll stick with orange ones!

. Asked the difference between a boat and a ship, QI states that a boat is a submarine and a ship is anything else. All due to the germans calling subs, Untersea boats. I always thought it was that a boat could be rowed, don't think I could move a UBoat with oars.

I wonder if that's true about the boat/ship thing. The Yanks call their carriers boats, but only in a casual manner as in 'heading back to the boat'. I always thought ship was a generic term, ie: a fleet of ships which might consist of destroyers, frigates etc.

I guess in the old RN days, they were all ships, but individually designated by sail/mast configuration eg: sloop, ketch. bark, fully rigged ship etc..

When subs were first built, someone must have decided they weren't a ship, and the only other suitable name was boat.

Cheers, Willie.

I wonder if that's true about the boat/ship thing. The Yanks call their carriers boats, but only in a casual manner as in 'heading back to the boat'. I always thought ship was a generic term, ie: a fleet of ships which might consist of destroyers, frigates etc.I guess in the old RN days, they were all ships, but individually designated by sail/mast configuration eg: sloop, ketch. bark, fully rigged ship etc..

When subs were first built, someone must have decided they weren't a ship, and the only other suitable name was boat.

Cheers, Willie.

I agree, some of these descriptions are very confuddling,. . . I worked as a welder in a German submarine yard for a while, but it turned out they didn't like my workmanboat, so I got das boot.

( sorry, I'll get me coat. . .)

• Like 1

Going back to before all this intellectually stimulating debate about green oranges, and water borne modes of transport that cannot even FLY,

I just HAD to find that Stephen Fry interview (thank you Mr Goggle).

Priceless!

Especially the expression on the interviewer's face.