What's Your Continuing Development Strategy?

Guest pelorus32

Guest pelorus32

OK so you have your Pilot Certificate, your XCountry and your Passenger.

Do you have a "plan" to develop further? If so what is it?

What do you do when you see problems arising in your flying? How do you sort them out?

How do you stay sharp and on the ball?

How do you build your skills?

Or is it just a case of leaving that to your BFR?

Share your strategies, c'mon tell us all :star:

Regards

Mike

It's a good question Mike. Having not long ago completed my X-country I thought my landings had lost their edge, so my next outing was back to the circuit. It also reminded me that its been a while since I practiced stalls and steep turns, so I guess that means I had better get myself out to the airfield again soon. And whilst I'm at it my approach and joining procedures could probably do with a bit more refinement.

I guess my approach is not the most scientific but it does give me a reason to fly as often as I can.

David

That is a very good question Mike and I do have an answer, Soon after I got my ticket and I thought all was well I started having problems landing my thruster t500. They weren't bad landing as such but they weren't as controlled as they should have been and when you fly with other thruster pilots that make it look so easy in any conditions it's embarrassing to say the least. I am also a bit hard on myself ,if it not right I'm not happy. So in the interest of being the best pilot I can be I ask as many question as I can from people who I think might know and then add that to what I've already learned and come up with a plan to improve the particular skill in question. With my landing I felt my problem was one of perception, by that I mean I wasn't as sure as I should have been as to where I was in relation to the ground in readiness to touchdown. I remembered during training my instructor had me try flying along the runway at low speed so I when back to that. I'd come in on final just before touchdown I'd increase power and fly from one end of the strip to the other and around I'd go. When I washappy with that I decreased my speed till I found the slowest possible speed to achieve this and then practice getting closer and closer to the ground without touching it. Finally I was able to touch the wheels on the runway at random and now if you were my passenger I can put the wheels on the runway without you knowing it at least half of the time. With all of the other skills of flying I practice them all the time on nearly all trips. Just a funny point to finish on, At the moment my radios in for repairs and I was taking a friend for a fly who hasn't yet got his ticket, as we taxied to the runway I put out a call thruster 1893 entering and back tracking runway 27. He looked at me strangely and said but you don't have a radio.

I just smiled and said I'm practicing to be a creature of habit

Regards Terry

mike pratice more practice more practice mike the only way is fligh yes i have the storch at the doctors there is no dought in my mind that had i not been praticing the what if situations i would not be writing this to you yes instructors can teach you but when they are not in the cockpit with you and you fligh into power wires man that is when you realy find out wheather you did listen to instructors

i was critersized for praticing cross wind short field landings at ysht and for doing a simulated engine failure with cross wind on 27 on a glide aprouch my life depends on that pratice

the old what if situation can happen at any time

Pelorus

Worthwhile post subject. As many have posted - practice is important, but, are you doing this practice 'correctly' ? If anyone has doubts about their skill levels on a particular flight phase - best to do a short flight with your instructor, and then practise.

My strong recommendation is to not wait for your BFR, because your skills may have deteriorated significantly by then.

As more add-on endorsements become available to RAA, it might be useful to undertake new training near your BFR date - as this should serve in lieu. Formation, and low level will certainly lift your flying skills far more than would the usual 'revision' type BFR.

happy days,

It seems we all agree that constant practice is the answer.

i really enjoy just going and practicing, steep turns, stalls, forced landings and anything else that takes my fancy. Today it was working out best glide speeds, and of course all landings are engine off from the base turn, except that on about 5% or so i have to add a touch of power to arrest descent at the threshold. Downwind landings are a real test of ability, try it in about 5kts and you will be surprised at the flat approach that results.

Instructing will do two things for your flying - it will make you put back into the sport what you have taken out of it, and it will teach you more about flying than you thought you could ever know.

If you are serious about your flying, the instructor rating is worth the effort.