kitfox/skyfox

ausadvance

Metalman, it's interesting to hear your comments. I haven't flown the taildrager version (2k) and certainly not the bush tyres. All short-coupled tailwheel aircraft will bite the unwary.As for the adverse yaw, I can't say I've noticed it to be a problem, although as I started my piloting life flying gliders, I've never been afflicted with lazy feet - perhaps that's why I haven't had an issue - regardless of flaps. Note that more recent versions of Eurofox (like mine) have a taller vertical stabiliser fin, so they are more directionally stable... perhaps that has made all the difference??

As for wing flex... again, haven't noticed it as an issue. Factory wing-loading tests have shown it is structurally strong in all the sandbag loading & certification tests I've seen photos of. There's nothing negative in my opinion.... again, perhaps I'm too biased??

The spars are fine, I've seen kitfox tests and it's incredible how much the wings will flex without breaking, but the Skyfox spars have been designed a bit differently , they don't flex anywhere near as much as the eurofox wings, not saying they're bad, just different.

As for the adverse yaw try pulling on about half flap and then bank without using the rudder,,,its not a problem if you use ya feet but it's a good demonstration .

Sorry if I was sounding negative , I've got about 60-70 hours in the eurofox and over 200 in a Skyfox type, and a few mates with kitfoxs ,,,believe me if I had a $100k kicking around I'd have a eurofox ,,,,,or a kitfox 7 ,,,,,or a Rans S20,,,,,, mmmm a highlander ,,,,,,so many planes so little money

• Like 2

...believe me if I had a $100k kicking around I'd have a eurofox ,,,,,or a kitfox 7 ,,,,,or a Rans S20,,,,,, mmmm a highlander ,,,,,,so many planes so little money

I agree, money is the issue: aviation is an expensive hobby!

• Like 1

Has anyone flown both a Eurofox and a Savannah? How do they compare throughout the flight envelope, the take off and the landing?

Yeh ,I've got a grand total of about 3 hours in a savannah so probably not really qualified, but,,,,the Sav gets off and on a lot shorter , but is about 20 knots off the eurofox's cruise . The Fox is a lot more manoeuvrable in flight ,which makes sense as you don't want it too unstable at really slow speeds the Sav will do. The Sav was a factory built and pretty nice finish , would I have one ,nope , but I'm partial to rag n tube taildraggers and I think the Sav is a bit crook to look at,,,just an opinion though, plenty like them and would have a lot of fun with( can't see the outside from the drivers seat :-))

• 2 months later...

Metalman, I enjoy your comments, they're always pretty much bang on correct when it comes to the Skyfox, especially the T'Dragger. I'm always amazed at some of the comments by the Skyfox "experts" who seem to know everything about the aircraft and the company, but in truth know very little about the fox and/or its origins. Personally I think they would be better off getting their facts straight before writing in this forum. I was just only recently talking to the former General Manager of Skyfox, and we talked much about the once great little company, so I know exactly what happened to the company and how it collapsed. Was destroyed by certain individuals from both here and from overseas, twits who cared more about their ego's than anything else. By the way, new spars can be purchased, a friend of mine has some in his work shop. I can be contacted on 0431 152150. Spar replacement is quite possible, but only if you understand fully how the wings were originally constructed. I have seen repairs on wing structures carried out by so called "experts", and all I could do was shake my head in disbelief. I would like to add that as I worked in the factory, and were privy to a lot of "sensitive" information I know who did what and I can assure you Mr Kerr had a relatively small part in the manufacture of the Skyfox aircraft. No offence intended towards the fellow, obviously a fine LAME, but mistruths are simply pointless.

• Informative 1

The Kitfox is a better aircraft in my opinion being the original

Might be interesting to point out that the ORIGINAL aircraft was the AVID FLYER....

Avid.jpg.f044ff0d06fe1abc43c31466c3efb75d.jpg

Yes, for the detail junkies, this is a MkII 'Speedwing'.

Guest Maj Millard
Might be interesting to point out that the ORIGINAL aircraft was the AVID FLYER....[ATTACH=full]39098[/ATTACH]

Yes, for the detail junkies, this is a MkII 'Speedwing'.

Not exactly correct there.....there were two partners originally in the Kitfox......Dan Denny was one. They had a falling out and the other went on to produce the Avid Flyer.....

considering there were nearly 100 skyfox t/d's built, I wonder just how many are still flying. I would love to own one, one day, one that requires a rebuild, but they certainly don't come up for sale very much at all. There must be some out there that would have to be almost basket cases by now, possibly be collector a'craft in the future. Taught quite a few people to fly in this one. Ah the memories.165325911_ninefivenine.jpg.1aaf53690963efd411c08e601739009a.jpg

• Like 1

considering there were nearly 100 skyfox t/d's built, I wonder just how many are still flying. I would love to own one, one day, one that requires a rebuild, but they certainly don't come up for sale very much at all. There must be some out there that would have to be almost basket cases by now, possibly be collector a'craft in the future. Taught quite a few people to fly in this one. Ah the memories.[ATTACH=full]39134[/ATTACH]

The skyfox has nice lines!

Not exactly correct there.....there were two partners originally in the Kitfox......Dan Denny was one. They had a falling out and the other went on to produce the Avid Flyer....

Depending on how you interpret "went on to build", from a historical point of view, it actually happened the other way around.

A quote from a Kitfox company release says;

The company had its roots in the 1980s, when Dan Denney (the “idea and marketing guy”) teamed up with Dean Wilson (the “designer and airplane guy”) at Light Aero (later called Avid Aircraft), in Boise (later, nearby Caldwell), Idaho.

Under circumstances mercifully lost to history, Denney left Light Aero and started his own company, Denney Aerocraft, making what was originally a near-clone of the Avid Flyer, introduced as the “Kitfox.”

This can be read at;

http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/images/pdf/ultraflight_mag_article.pdf

• Informative 2

yes it is a wige marine craft and no it does not require a jet at all, that is incorrect. I've been researching these for almost 2 decades now.

PAW power augmented lift is desirable but not essential, this one shall be powered by a Rotax or a rotary. Sth Korea are arguably the leaders in this field these days although there is a beautiful new design that should be going into production in Europe next year. The model above has been used in Russia for a long time now. A company in Cairns tried to get an 8 seater up and running some time ago in Cairns, the F8 Flightship but went down the tubes, partly due to poor management, which I found out through a person who is involved in these craft in Greece. I believe a company in Malaysia now has the F8, and carried out sea trials some years ago now. This is my design and I had a very competent marine designer/engineer who used to do a lot of design work for Aluminium Boats Australia, produce the images.