To Bomb or not to Bomb

willedoo

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ol' Comb-over is interested in one thing: self-promotion. What better way than to get huge amounts of it by:

(a) standing as a potential Republican candidate and,

(b) making red-necked statements that reinforces the strongly held prejudices of many people?

Ol' Comb-over knows when enough is enough. When he has had sufficient publicity (so much so that even his many millions cannot pay for this), he will stand aside and probably endorse one of the others who he would like to see in the White House. Trump can then rely on that person to influence government for him because his endorsement will have put him/her there. It is very unlikely that he will end up there himself even though he appears to be the front runner at this point in time.

That may be the case, but I'm guessing Trump's ego is even bigger than his asset portfolio. I'm not sure he'd be able to step aside and cheer someone else on, even with the the silver lining of political influence.

I'm hoping he stays the course, he's the Democrat's best friend.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Some photos from Khmeimim airbase at Latakia, Syria.

The airstrip is capable of landing the An-124 and has bays for more than 50 aircraft. The Russian aircraft operating from the base at present are the Su-24M and Su-34 bombers, Su-25 ground attack aircraft, Su-30SM fighters, Mi-24 gunship helicopters and Mi-8 support choppers.

arming.jpg.dc0af11109e3a021e3886872655b5dad.jpg

arming2.jpg.ee0ea410d719fb42a567309efc49e383.jpg

The shorts, trousers and tunics almost look pink compared to the old Afghan sand colour gear.

525778310_groundcrew.jpg.7a3a0ba6bdf3ddb2ae198d308eb823e6.jpg

The Su-30SM's appear to be carrying five air to air but also have hard points fitted to the nacelles.

Su-30SM.jpg.ad21bc761d1bfe3a4f15c8dc4dfc62ec.jpg

Su-25 Frogfoot pilot with a ZSh-7AP helmet, KM-34D Series 2 mask, IPS-72 harness and NAZ-IR survival vest.

He appears to be only armed with the service pistol unlike the Russian Afghanistan pilots who often flew with longarms as well.

1163588850_frogfootpilot.jpg.a9774f7c65bdd6c138a76b240624e6fa.jpg

mess.jpg.c77c317ceb722a59c9885863e30c88ea.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Some photos from Khmeimim airbase at Latakia, Syria.The airstrip is capable of landing the An-124 and has bays for more than 50 aircraft. The Russian aircraft operating from the base at present are the Su-24M and Su-34 bombers, Su-25 ground attack aircraft, Su-30SM fighters, Mi-24 gunship helicopters and Mi-8 support choppers.

[ATTACH=full]38352[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]38353[/ATTACH]

The shorts, trousers and tunics almost look pink compared to the old Afghan sand colour gear.

[ATTACH=full]38354[/ATTACH]

The Su-30SM's appear to be carrying five air to air but also have hard points fitted to the nacelles.

[ATTACH=full]38356[/ATTACH]

Su-25 Frogfoot pilot with a ZSh-7AP helmet, KM-34D Series 2 mask, IPS-72 harness and NAZ-IR survival vest.

He appears to be only armed with the service pistol unlike the Russian Afghanistan pilots who often flew with longarms as well.

[ATTACH=full]38357[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]38355[/ATTACH]

What's Richard Dean Anderson (MacGyver, Stargate) doing in a Russian mess?

• Like 1

What's Richard Dean Anderson (MacGyver, Stargate) doing in a Russian mess?

Now that you point it out Marty, it's quite a resemblance.

Maybe he heard about the free food and the mobile sauna trucks.

• Agree 1

Some more photos from Latakia:

Su-34 '22 Red' returning from a mission with one missile remaining under the port nacelle.

1.jpg.ab48808f01d3d372afd7256edc0da42f.jpg

Another view of the same aircraft.

2.jpg.a3145f70642b3f13651d2622c78caf73.jpg

Line up of Su-25 Frogfoots with an Iluyshin Il-76 in the background.

3.jpg.68a759ecba903b13d0194ae1ed96827c.jpg

Ground crew working on a Su-24M Fencer.

4.jpg.34d1740f436285960e13343917002a1e.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Willedoo. They are informative photos. You must have friends in high Russian) places to get these pictures. 039_private_eyes.gif.ee730e198261239d6248af84b953d95f.gif

They're just standard propaganda photos, mostly from an embedded journalist. The Su-25 pilot in the above post was also photographed outside a Su-30SM, so they must have used him for a few different photo ops while he had his kit on.

Same pilot checking over an Su-34. He gets around, this bloke.

pilot.jpg.dfa8a6941d66efc1853a4352c4a2e42f.jpg

Ground crew loading the KH-25ML laser guided missile on an Su-24.

kh25.jpg.851040c3f688c3abd8f915c7d9985581.jpg

Same with a good view of the 3,000 litre drop tank attached.

6000.jpg.af891e2d895a906985d718c9171b8548.jpg

Su-30SM armed.

Even though they have two types of state of the art aircraft operating out of Latakia, word has it that the most effective weapon in the operation is the Su-25SM's. Closest thing to a Warthog, I suppose. The SM upgrade on the Su-25 has a glass cockpit, head up display, and all the computery and electronics for the latest missiles. Also has revamped engines with anti-surge features giving greater resistance to ingested weapon launch gases. On the outside they still look like the same old banger.

armed.jpg.ef575527fb552f683eebd07b1860c78b.jpg

The important stuff: - mobile kitchens.

-kitchen.JPG.0db6f91a3cd87d3f3a00f57326cd2c17.JPG

Mobile saunas.

sauna.JPG.0332105e65ab92898d93277d9e9efeaa.JPG

kitchen.png.824582a159cc815066ed6f5fba4c2af1.png

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Personally I reckon the Su-34 would be perfect for NZ, long range of 4000km+ and enough capacity to hang 6 Harpoon/RBS15/ASM2/Sea Eagle/NSM etc...

if anyone threatens us, we would be best to sink their ships a LONG way from shore.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Personally I reckon the Su-34 would be perfect for NZ, long range of 4000km+ and enough capacity to hang 6 Harpoon/RBS15/ASM2/Sea Eagle/NSM etc...if anyone threatens us, we would be best to sink their ships a LONG way from shore.

That's what I reckon for Aus too. But there's another thread about that... the one about the F35 not being able to fly or fight.

• Agree 2

Personally I reckon the Su-34 would be perfect for NZ, long range of 4000km+ and enough capacity to hang 6 Harpoon/RBS15/ASM2/Sea Eagle/NSM etc...if anyone threatens us, we would be best to sink their ships a LONG way from shore.

no one is going to invade NZ or Aus for that matter, all wars now are proxy wars

The Su-34 is quite a beast. Designed to replace the Su-25 as a ground attack/bomber platform with fighter capabilities if needed.

Recently, I watched a promotional video with a simulated dogfight between a Su-34 and it's parent, the Su-27. The Su-34 won, but the pilots said that in a real life situation, it would be hard for an Su-34 to beat the Su-27/30.

They're very well designed with a lot of the airframe and aerodynamic characteristics taken from the Su-27. Side by side seating has all instruments (glass cockpit) duplicated for both pilot and co-pilot. The essential flight instruments are also present in analogue instruments for backup. It's also designed for crew comfort on long flights. You can stand up inside, there's a galley to make a coffee, and a toilet as well. There's also space for one crewman to lie down and have a nap. I haven't seen any photos aft of the seating position, but hopefully some will show up soon. I think the Su-34 will be a long term big thing.

Cheers, Willie.

The Su-34 is quite a beast. Designed to replace the Su-25 as a ground attack/bomber platform with fighter capabilities if needed.Recently, I watched a promotional video with a simulated dogfight between a Su-34 and it's parent, the Su-27. The Su-34 won, but the pilots said that in a real life situation, it would be hard for an Su-34 to beat the Su-27/30.

They're very well designed with a lot of the airframe and aerodynamic characteristics taken from the Su-27. Side by side seating has all instruments (glass cockpit) duplicated for both pilot and co-pilot. The essential flight instruments are also present in analogue instruments for backup. It's also designed for crew comfort on long flights. You can stand up inside, there's a galley to make a coffee, and a toilet as well. There's also space for one crewman to lie down and have a nap. I haven't seen any photos aft of the seating position, but hopefully some will show up soon. I think the Su-34 will be a long term big thing.

Cheers, Willie.

They are a formidable aircraft.

I wonder if either of the Down Under governments' military hardware buyers have ever tyre-kicked an Su-34 as a potential addition to the air force. I think they should be considered ...assuming Russia would sell them to us.

no one is going to invade NZ or Aus for that matter, all wars now are proxy wars

The job of the military is to prepare for the worst case, so the foe looks at you and goes looking for something less deadly to snack on.

If they prepared for the best case, the worst case is sure to happen.

Isn't there an old saw along the lines of "If you want peace, then prepare for war"?

Personally if they made me Min of Defence here, I'd be shopping in China for a couple of squadrons of J-8's and have them fitted with the same APG-66 as were installed in the A4K Kahus.

We don't NEED F35s, being small enough that if it comes to a case that we needed front line fighters we're up shit creek without a paddle and the dam has bust sending a wall of brown sweeping down on us.

However the J8 is quite capable of carting a few anti-ship missiles off the coast and letting them go, which is about all we need for defence of the island, and is a decent F/A18 class bomb truck for after the allies on any coalition outing have swept the enemy air superiority out of the skies. At a third the cost of a F/A18.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The job of the military is to prepare for the worst case, so the foe looks at you and goes looking for something less deadly to snack on.If they prepared for the best case, the worst case is sure to happen.

Isn't there an old saw along the lines of "If you want peace, then prepare for war"?

Personally if they made me Min of Defence here, I'd be shopping in China for a couple of squadrons of J-8's and have them fitted with the same APG-66 as were installed in the A4K Kahus.

We don't NEED F35s, being small enough that if it comes to a case that we needed front line fighters we're up **** creek without a paddle and the dam has bust sending a wall of brown sweeping down on us.

However the J8 is quite capable of carting a few anti-ship missiles off the coast and letting them go, which is about all we need for defence of the island, and is a decent F/A18 class bomb truck for after the allies on any coalition outing have swept the enemy air superiority out of the skies. At a third the cost of a F/A18.

And that is the point. Why should we be buying the highly over-priced military equipment from the place where oodles of cash is made from arms manufacturing? If we can obtain something that does it at 90% of the efficiency at one-third the price, we simply buy more of them and still save money. We would also end up with a better equipped air force that would be deterrent for any potential territory expanders.

• Agree 3

I don't personally try to be a F-35 basher, but jeez, there's a lot of criticism of them - probably more than any other fighter development programme that I can remember. In the face of the criticism, the developers appear to continually come up with more excuses than a schoolboy caught masturbating.

It's starting to look like the old carrot on the stick. They talk about dates for IOC, but when will it actually be combat ready. The T-50 Sukhoi will have it's first operational deliveries next year, and possibly combat ready by 2018. And in a fraction of the time of the F-35 saga. If Boris can do it, why can't we? Something's gone wrong.

• Agree 2

They are a formidable aircraft.I wonder if either of the Down Under governments' military hardware buyers have ever tyre-kicked an Su-34 as a potential addition to the air force. I think they should be considered ...assuming Russia would sell them to us.

I guess you wouldn't want to see one in your rear vision mirror.

34.jpg.0328b9b914fa14c24e9029607d9088b2.jpg

Some footage of an Su-24 mission in Syria with a ventral mounted GoPro.

http://sputniknews.com/videoclub/20151006/1028107516/syria-airstrike-footage.html

Also some footage of aircraft returning fom missions. First up is Su-34 '25 Red' returning with one bomb remaining on the port engine nacelle, same as the still photo posted above of '22 Red' doing the same. Also that same PR pilot makes an appearance in a Su-25. He's everywhere, that man. Does make you wonder if he's even a pilot.

http://sputniknews.com/multimedia/20151005/1028061807/russian-air-strike-isil-syria.html

Looks like things are warming up. Today the Russians launched 26 cruise missiles from the Caspian Sea fleet.

http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20151007/1028149460/russian-navy-attack-syria.html

And this might be a game changer. Iraq is considering inviting the Russians to start air operations against IS on Iraqi soil. That will get Obomber's ears wiggling.

https://www.rt.com/news/317853-iraq-russia-airstrikes-isis/

Donald Trump has said they should leave it to the Russians to do the job, so the question is, will it very soon be time to bring our Hornets home. It's hard to see the two sides co-operating successfully in Iraq. That would be embarrassing for the US. What is already embarrassing is that Russia has achieved in a week similar results as our coalition's achieved in a year. Someone's jerking our chain.

• Agree 3

Looks like things are warming up. Today the Russians launched 26 cruise missiles from the Caspian Sea fleet.http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20151007/1028149460/russian-navy-attack-syria.html

And this might be a game changer. Iraq is considering inviting the Russians to start air operations against IS on Iraqi soil. That will get Obomber's ears wiggling.

https://www.rt.com/news/317853-iraq-russia-airstrikes-isis/

Donald Trump has said they should leave it to the Russians to do the job, so the question is, will it very soon be time to bring our Hornets home. It's hard to see the two sides co-operating successfully in Iraq. That would be embarrassing for the US. What is already embarrassing is that Russia has achieved in a week similar results as our coalition's achieved in a year. Someone's jerking our chain.

I agree. The Russians are more effective because they are working with the Syrian government. The USA had two enemies: the Syrian government and ISIS ...although I am not too sure about ISIS as they seem to have equipped, armed, funded and CIA trained some of them in the first place.

• Agree 1

I agree. The Russians are more effective because they are working with the Syrian government. The USA had two enemies: the Syrian government and ISIS ...although I am not too sure about ISIS as they seem to have equipped, armed, funded and CIA trained some of them in the first place.

At the moment, Russia seems to be getting better intel via the Syrian Army and the four way intelligence agreement they have with Iraq, Iran and Syria in their Baghdad headquarters. The leadership of the intel grouping will be rotating between the four countries. Interesting to note sources saying that Iraq no longer trusts US intelligence. The Russians say the rate of strikes is dependant on intelligence. On the weekend, they carried out more than sixty sorties in one day.

It's starting to look like Russia in, US out, in that part of the middle east. If Russia gets on top of things, we may even be asked to leave sometime in the future. Either way, it's been good combat experience for the RAAF.

Meanwhile, the information war is cranking up. The US claims four Russian Navy launched missiles fell short in Iran. Russia denies it, saying all reached the target area. So the US has removed their carrier from the Gulf, saying the new Russian missiles are unreliable and not battle tested. First time in eight years there's no carrier in the Gulf. Nothing like a war to test new equipment - this is the first combat for the Su-34 as well.

It hasn't been a good week for the US. The power vacuum is being rapidly filled, by the look of it.

Here's a bit on the safety agreement:

http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20151012/1028370993/US-Aircraft-Make-Way-Russian-Jets-Syria.html