Meet and greet Mr Biggles at Southport Flying club

dazza 38

Glad you had a good experience Dazza, last time I was there I found those that were there (apart from one person) to be extremely rude, arrogant and totally inhospitable. I wouldn't p1ss on them if they were on fire.

Aldo

• Informative 2

Well Aldo On behalf of the members of the SPFC allow me to offer my apologiesfor the way you felt when you visited. Mason Field is and always has been a private airfield and under strict agreements with the GCCC,. However, it is by far one of the friendliest and most welcoming flying clubs In Australia, and boasts an active membership who welcome enthusiasts or potential members with open arms. which makes me sad to hear of your negative experience. Please PM me youd like a proper,welcome or tour etc. . If you're interested I can arrange another visit and perhaps a flight with one of the many aircraft there. It is common knowledge that Mason field is a very exclusive flying club but it is also important to remember that what was once a swamp of mangroves has been developed into a world class Flying club through the hard work and life savings of those few members who started the club without any assistance from any governing body. In an era wher airfields are being swallowed up by housing developments it is a testament to the vision that those members had, securing what would otherwise be a housing estate or goff course, not to mention the huge financial sacrifices made by a select few in the genesis of club.

I hope you can understand and by all means the offer is there if you want to visit the club sometime in the future.

David Mason

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

Glad you had a good experience Dazza, last time I was there I found those that were there (apart from one person) to be extremely rude, arrogant and totally inhospitable. I wouldn't p1ss on them if they were on fire.Aldo

I like your explanation and heard a similar story almost twenty years ago from a happy and friendly pilot mate who stumble across them.

I too am a member of Southport Flying Club (http://southportflyingclub.com.au) and echo the comments made by David above. I would also personally welcome anyone who wanted to visit, have a look around, and better understand the restrictions we operate under, which are in fact very simple for anyone wanting to fly in.

Steve Sartor.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1