replica spittfire watts bridge

Was watching the so called news on channel 9 and they showed a spitfire replica. having a mishap at watts bridge.

there word was it fell from the sky! but from the video it looks like if was landing of take off incident to me.

shafs

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched it whilst mid downwind. Looks like the right wing stalled on take off and it rolled steeply to the right heading for the crowd and flight line but I think maybe the wingtip dug in, so lucky it didn't roll inverted

image.jpg.2e4849394c1279beadeb1e89478953e2.jpg

• Winner 1

Looked like he had plenty of airspeed. Bit of control input may have helped. Sure he had the gust locks removed? Or maybe just a bit of fly in over amp?

Should have sold this footage mate. Good stuff, you kept it all in frame!!

Fantastic video Rodgerc !

Taking off the ground a Tail Dragger in 3 Point Landing Attitude and bouncing the Tail Wheel back on grass...........that great angle off attack on take off would not be too good for any light aircraft including Nose Wheel.

The aircraft appears to be in trouble just before it gets airborne. The left wheel leaves the ground first and the right wheel remains on the ground initially, before bouncing of the tail and right before coming airborne.Looking at the pilot you can see he is struggling to control the aircraft. There does appear to be lack of rudder movement, until just before the right wing touches the ground.

• Like 1

Have a look at 00:18 (post crash) and 00:56 (on the truck), doesn't appear to show any asymmetric flap. Spitfire's have a split flap, so given this is a replica I assume it has them as well.

Rolled right soon as it flew.......first flight ?........rego ?.

Wasn't it's first flight, aircraft was flew into Brisbane last Saturday for the Aviation Careers Expo.

Note, it was a different pilot in yesterday's accident.

Guest Maj Millard

Lack of control input to counteract asamytric from prop at full power ?.....the real ones will do it if the airspeed is too low.

What counts was when it lifted off the ground Gafa; linkage could have been disconnected, loose.

True, but both but at both of these times you can see the left flap and right flap position are the same. Post crash there would be no need (and the pilot wouldn't even think of retracting the flap post crash).So if there was flap asymmetry you would see the left flap down, which you don't.

• Agree 2

True, but both but at both of these times you can see the left flap and right flap position are the same. Post crash there would be no need (and the pilot wouldn't even think of retracting the flap post crash).So if there was flap asymmetry you would see the left flap down, which you don't.

You can see it here.

ReplicaSpitfire.jpg.c77e8bebdcc322697a01335aa801f51c.jpg

You can see it here.

Agree, that shows what appears to be the left hand flap extended. However in the photos I've attached you can see, when the flap is extended it runs along a lot of the wing, out past the replica gun and is mostly painted black and white. In the video (and the photo you have attached) the flap appears to be inside the replica gun and I can't see any black and white paint.) It could be the angle the video is taken from that that makes the right wing intake scoop (see first photo I've attached) make it look like a flap.

My son took these photo as the aircraft taxiing out last week in Brisbane, but no flaps set. The second photo shows the aircraft parked in Brisbane with the flaps extended.

image.jpg.06740af9f73de8e2bb7f2ed4d82ec1ce.jpg

image.jpg.76caf7238f2fc436297947281e57d9c0.jpg

I expect if it is anything like scale it will have split flaps ie the top surface of the wing is fixed. What makes it look like plain flaps in the video is that the right aileron is down and the left up.

Fact it took off tail down suggests it was too slow. Rudder should have been used to pick up the wing drop and may have been but unfortunately rudder position does not show in the video.

Bad outcome, lots of money and work gone into that, hope damage is not too severe.

• Agree 2