Pudestcon

Riley

Just about EVERY male at age 90 will have prostate cancer. Many die WITH it but not because of it. Some of the info here unfortunately isn't the latest "thing" on it. IF you have a elevated PSA don't panic. Always get a second opinion. It's rarely changing so fast you have to act the next day or even week or even month but get informed. There are many groups around that are there for support. Get in contact with one. Often they have access to the latest info on treatment(s). Some GPs have little real knowledge of it, but generally they are your first point of referral and usually to a Urologist and they are pretty keen on getting on with the job. Nothing is black and white with this "disease' and it is very complex. and they are far from having all the answers.. The DRE is worth something if the person doing it is experienced and knows what they are looking/feeling for which is an enlarged/ altered texture prostate. With an elevated PSA a medical person would be considered negligent if a biopsy wasn't considered and the biopsy is pretty invasive and you can get a serious infection that may be life threatening and you will certainly be having a powerful broad spectrum antibiotic and there are BUGS about that antibiotics may not handle. Get a second (or third) opinion.. There may also be other methods of identifying your condition becoming available at the present time..Nev

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I may, Ian would be so pleased to see that his life has not been totally in vain. To know that we have reached all of you with our message is of great comfort. There are many treatments for prostate cancer now and more being developed with research. Please remember to also make sure YOU get the results of your tests, dont just assume the GP will get back to you if something is wrong. Please keep this conversation going, and beyond this forum would be even better!I thank you all warmly for your sympathy and support.

Gay

Hi Gay,

Our collective condolences on the loss of "Pudestcon"! We enjoyed his presence on this forum and he will be really missed. I hope God is giving you strength in this time of loss.

• Agree 2

Just about EVERY male at age 90 will have prostate cancer. Many die WITH it but not because of it. Some of the info here unfortunately isn't the latest "thing" on it. IF you have a elevated PSA don't panic. Always get a second opinion. It's rarely changing so fast you have to act the next day or even week or even month but get informed. There are many groups around that are there for support. Get in contact with one. Often they have access to the latest info on treatment(s). Some GPs have little real knowledge of it, but generally they are your first point of referral and usually to a Urologist and they are pretty keen on getting on with the job. Nothing is black and white with this "disease' and it is very complex. and they are far from having all the answers.. The DRE is worth something if the person doing it is experienced and knows what they are looking/feeling for which is an enlarged/ altered texture prostate. With an elevated PSA a medical person would be considered negligent if a biopsy wasn't considered and the biopsy is pretty invasive and you can get a serious infection that may be life threatening and you will certainly be having a powerful broad spectrum antibiotic and there are BUGS about that antibiotics may not handle. Get a second (or third) opinion.. There may also be other methods of identifying your condition becoming available at the present time..Nev

Wise words, Nev! Many people are not aware of the three important things that you have mentioned:

1. GPs are just that: general practitioners; few would be experts on prostates and prostate cancer (nearly 50 % do not even have a prostate gland themselves).

2. There are great support groups that frequently have easy to follow pamphlets but ensure that these pamphlets are written by someone in the know.

3. Biopsies have their risks.

• Like 1

Regarding biopsies I had mine done eleven years ago with no problems. Whilst it is slightly invasive I had 6 samples taken and only slightly felt the last two.

The doctor was a female so whether she just had a very gentle touch or I was completely relaxed I'm not sure, but it was not in any way a painful procedure.

Frankly I would rather have the biopsie than have a tooth out..........I'm just glad that we don't have teeth there because I probably would not have gone ahead with it. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan.

If I may, Ian would be so pleased to see that his life has not been totally in vain. To know that we have reached all of you with our message is of great comfort. There are many treatments for prostate cancer now and more being developed with research. Please remember to also make sure YOU get the results of your tests, dont just assume the GP will get back to you if something is wrong. Please keep this conversation going, and beyond this forum would be even better!

I thank you all warmly for your sympathy and support.

Gay

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard
If I may, Ian would be so pleased to see that his life has not been totally in vain. To know that we have reached all of you with our message is of great comfort. There are many treatments for prostate cancer now and more being developed with research. Please remember to also make sure YOU get the results of your tests, dont just assume the GP will get back to you if something is wrong. Please keep this conversation going, and beyond this forum would be even better!I thank you all warmly for your sympathy and support.

Gay

Gay, Your loss is our loss too........so lucky to have met you both and friends at Franks that time. Would be great if you could keep posting on his forum signature...just to say hi now and then...would be like he is still with us. Ian had a lot of friends here also and we are all saddened by the loss of a good friend. Don't be a stranger Gay and of course look us up if your in the East. Please take care...I'm sure you have lots of friends over there. Ross

Convincing some men to undergo the test is sometimes very difficult even though I can talk from experience.

My youngest son has a check up regularly but my eldest son, who was a theatre sister for many years and has seen the results, just refuses to have a check up stating that he would rather not know if he has cancer. We men are a funny lot aren't we.

Maybe it's why us Guernsey people are called Guernsey Donkeys because we are so damn stubborn.

Alan.

• 2 months later...