GOPRO....?

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

I'm talkin birthday..and wifeys' talking GOPro...( yes ! At last.)....so recommendations on which on would be most welcome.

Will need remote mounting on my aircraft...with remote control.

Thanks in advance.

I bought the middle-of-the-range Silver Edition. Robust, good picture quality, but hard to operate unless you control it via WiFi from your iPad. Battery doesn't last long, especially when wifi is turned on.

I also use a Kogan action camera. Although picture quality is lower, it's easier to use, has inbuilt screen and cost 1/8th as much.

I have been using Garmin Virb Elite cameras and I find them much easier to use than the GoPros, also the Virb batteries last longer (2h 15min normally).

The real bonus is that the camera has an inbuilt GPS and with the use of the free Garmin Virb Edit software you can add layers of information (Altitude, speed, ...) on the top of the video.

Check this thread with this thread : http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/video-mapping-garmin-virb-elite-garmin-virb-edit.134561/

and video :

I have tried the GoPros a while ago and unless you really need 2K or 4K I would use the Garmin instead.

Johnny AppleSeed are pretty competitive : https://www.ja-gps.com.au/Garmin/virb-elite-action-camera/

Xavier

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

I use the Sony Action Cam and like it. My other flying friends have GoPros and like them. Skydivers seem to like the Contour. It is like buying a car or truck. Whatever works for you is what you should get. I like the GoPro remote features over my Sony. You can turn a GoPro on and off by remote.

Ross:

I have two Hero3 white edition cameras. I have bought the backpack battery for both of them and if you don't use the bluetooth to control them, the cameras will run for a bit over three hours continuously.

I tried using the cameras with the remote control but then that is another thing to manage while flying and you then often miss unexpected events like another plane passing beneath you or the train on the track below going into a tunnel etc. Also, the bluetooth runs the battery down more quickly. Now I set the GoPros running at the start of the flight and then look at the footage for those little gems afterward.

The White edition is the cheapest GoPro and will do 720 at 50FPS which reduces rolling shutter distortion from airframe vibration. If you shoot at lower frame rates, you get the jello vision which looks awful. The higher model GoPros will shoot higher res at higher frame rates, but cost significantly more. I view my footag on a 50" plasma TV at home and the 720 is still acceptable quality.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like the contour. Mine handles the propeller chop better than the Go-PROS that I have seen. As for 4K video, why bother? You need a 4K display to make the most of it and a super computer if you intend doing any serious video editing.

• Agree 1

I got a GoPro Hero + for x,as. Love it!

I haven't messed around with settings a great dal, but I love how clear it is.

Took it up for a fly recently, unfortunately it captured the prop with that weird effect and the panel (cowling) was a little distorted. Changing the recording settings to 60fps reduced but didn't eliminate the prop.