Zenith zodiac xl kit or Brumby kit

Thruster87

The great thing about the Zenith kit is it can be bought in partial kits and is a proven aircraft. Aussie dollar is also appreciating against the US dollar. The rudder kit is about $500 dollars from memory and a great way to see if building is for you.

I think the brumby is purchased as a complete fire wall backward kit which can be a large cost up front.

Have you checked out the Rans new S19 http://www.rans.com/S-19.htm#

or the soon to be available available Vans RV-12

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-12int.htm

These are a couple of aircraft that would make great recreational aircraft. The S19 is a little heavy at 790lbs (358 kgs) mtow. but real sexy!

The RV 12 looks great and has a pair of quick remove wings

and a great company reputation.

Regards Steve

Guest pelorus32

I haven't flown the Zodiac but I have flown the Brumby. I was entirely unimpressed. It was "agricultural" at best and got very busy in any turbulence. I wouldn't build one of them.

What are your aircraft selection criteria? There are lots more choices in low wing aircraft than just those two surely?

Regards

Mike

Guest Flyer40

There are QB 601 kits available in QLD for $29K if you're interested.

My shortlist includes 601, Cheetah Sierra (waiting for it to fly to see how it performs), Lightning (do I want to work with glass?) and SportCruiser (very professional production and BRS = reassuring for me). The RV12 could be a possibility but it's a long way off.

I have a dislike for the rotax engine, so my airframe choices are limited to those that go with the Jab engine (which I dislike only slightly less than the rotax). Now the new UL260 from Europe I really really like!!

Just went out today to do my 90 day check + 3 landings [hadn't flown since Nov 2006 ] and it did put a smile on my face. Anyhow got talking with a couple of fellow tall/wide pilots about which a/c they may build and two of them said the Brumby. But at $43,000 AUD it seems a bit expensive compared to the Zodiac XL quick build kit at $30,000 AUD [or std complete kit at $24,000] and $30,000 + for engine and instruments for either on top.

I have flown in a few aircraft including the Cheetah and my self and two other mates flew the 601 XL on the week end and we have order three kit (one each)from Sport Air on the Gold Coast. It is a very easy plane to fly and we cruised around at 110-115 knots and the winds where around 15 - 20 konts. The plain did not jump around and just flew straight and true.

A pleasure to fly.

Cannot wait for the kit to arrive.

Ianrat

WOW, congratulations Ian - I bet you can't wait and I hope you keep us informed with pictures every step of the way from delivery through the build and that nerve wracking first flight! 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Does this mean that Sport Air on the Gold Coast now has NO stock left because of you buggers getting in early [as they only had 3 in stock]. It will be interesting to see if the AUD reaches parity with the USD by Christmas.This would mean a Zodiac XL for only $18200.00 delivered for the std kit and $26500.00 for the QB kit delivered plus any options.Jabiru 3300 + f/f kit $22,800.00 as of today +$5,000 for instruments.So for under $50,000.00 a lot of A/C. Think I might get one Cheers

No your ok!

We have purchased the standard kits from the states not the quick build kits (by the way they only has two QB left the third went out last week). They have had a busy week with the dollar the way it is.

As it is the kit with a couple of extras delivered to Brisbane will be just over the 20k mark including GST

On the down side they will not leave Zenith until mid January. (I cannot wait!) but the QB kit was just outside our budgets. are well that life.

Ianrat

The wing locker kit. We looked at getting the dual sticks but after flying it we decided that the centre stick was actually better. The long range fuel tank was looked at but the extra $440 US each kit for an extra 250mm of sheeting was out of the question. The only difference that i can see between the two tanks is the extra wide main sheeting. it still only has the ends welded in the same. We will modify the standard tanks instead.

One will be getting a 912 Rotax while i am looking at the Corvair. The third has not decided yet.

The 912 will be standard instruments, i would like to go glass but will have to see how the dollars pan out.

Ianrat

The engine setup is the where you could save big dollars.The Smart car Turbo Diesel sounds interesting and if it really does put out 82hp and the price is right!!!!!! maybe worth a look.One thing I would like to know is how easy or hard is it, to remove and re-install the wings? for ease of trailering. Cheers

I am not to sure how hard they are to remove. I believe that they unbolt from within the main cabin and then undo the wiring and aileron linkage. And then you can slide the wings out for transport. as this is the XL the under carriage is attached to the fuselage and not the wings like the 601 HD.

Ianrat

I'll need to sell the Thruster TST first to make room in the garage. Thank you for your offer. Everytime I do the sums on the Zodiac XL the costs keep going up = QB $30,000, Jab 3300 $18,800, FWF kit $5000, Prop $1000, Avionics $15000,Misc $2000 Total $71,800. Budget $50,000 Cheers

Standard kit $20,000.00

Transport $2500.00

Corvair $10,000.00 Including Fire wall forward and prop

Avionics $15,000.00

Painting $4,000.00

Mis $2,000.00

Total $53,500.00 inc gst

Ianrat

I contacted Darren Bannfield the Australian agent for www.Flycorvair.com and he informed me that this would be a reasonable amount to pay for the engine and fire wall forward.

Pick up an old engine in the states plus all of the parts to rebuild. Extra parts like starters and nose cones from Flycorvair. some parts available in OZ. As Flycorvair states on his web site "If you can build a kit plain you will be able to build the engine"

Ianrat

Not sure!

He gave me a few names to contact in the states that have all the parts to rebuild the motor it self. I believe that he has most of the parts to convert to a airplane motor.

I would most probably import the motor and all of the parts to rebuild my self and then just get the rest from Darren or direct from the states. Some part i will most probably make my self.

Ianrat