AusFly 2015 reports

flyvulcan

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More feedback from a SAAA National Councillor is that there were no CASA ramp checks conducted at the event (please correct me if this is wrong) and that the feedback posted here has been noted (the catering issue resulted from the withdrawal from the event of one of the main caterers who committed to another local function in place of AusFly).

Even with the small complaints, the event was considered to be a success and there are positive indications that next years has the potential to be bigger and better.

yep, CASA was there, so was Mr Skidmoore, and the aviation and transport minister Warren Truss, who gave CASA the mandate to foster and encourage aviation growth, there there might be some light coming up, now all they have to do is break the internal separate empires built inside casa and we might see some change.

so, yes, CASA was there, and no ramp checks were done, and CASA didnt cause any problems for anyone.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

flyvulcan...please ensure the SAAA know this was a fantastic event...my comments about food lines where only comments, not criticism...It really was a brilliant event and I would highly recommend it to anyone...PS It would be good if they could get a huge fan to blow that damn cloud away from the Great Dividing Ranges and Hunter Valley though...

• Like 1

Any regional centre will struggle with 1000+ people at the local show and an air show. Especially one which cancelled last year.

Easter too was poor due to weather so difficult to draw in caterers.

I can say food vans at the show were just as busy and maybe for way longer hours than Ausfly

Also have to say contact with locals by organisers wasnt too strong. If you want local BBQ etc it would be good to involve locals who can make these links.

Anyone consider heading into town for a feed? theres around 7 places with sit down food there. Plus Servo's etc. Few buses might be an idea

Flyvulcan's post about the catering is spot on. The Lions Club van was there all day Friday and would have cut the Saturday lines down by more than half if they were there Saturday. Talking to them on Friday unfortunately the Fly-in was the same weekend as the Narromine show. There was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing trying to decide which event to go to but they hadn't missed a Narromine show for some decades so it got the van for the weekend.

The ladies of the Narromine Club are some of the hardest working people I've ever seen. The speed with which they punched out those fresh, handmade sandwiches was very impressive. Well done to the Sandwich-making team!!!!

• Agree 4

Flyvulcan's post about the catering is spot on. The Lions Club van was there all day Friday and would have cut the Saturday lines down by more than half if they were there Saturday. Talking to them on Friday unfortunately the Fly-in was the same weekend as the Narromine show. There was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing trying to decide which event to go to but they hadn't missed a Narromine show for some decades so it got the van for the weekend.The ladies of the Narromine Club are some of the hardest working people I've ever seen. The speed with which they punched out those fresh, handmade sandwiches was very impressive. Well done to the Sandwich-making team!!!!

One minor correction, wasn't it the Rotary club van. They did a very good steak sandwich......

• Agree 1

I was there for Saturday and met up with a couple of people, one from this forum and a close friend was on the judging panel.

Catering would have been ok if the catering van itself wasn't so darn slow, my 3 hot dogs, nuggets, chips and milkshake took at least 5 minutes (primarily the nuggets) and I watched them serve others all woefully slow.

Flyvulcan, I have a number of pictures and videos but travelling constantly living out of a suitcase at the moment, so may be a few weeks before I can put them up sorry.

The warbirds really stood out and the Avenger was just awesome, great variety in the car park too!

Great effort wasted on so few, so far away from a major center.

• Caution 1

Great effort wasted on so few, so far away from a major center.

In my opinion, that is a fairly important observation. Although I wouldn't say the effort was wasted on the few, rather the effort could have supported a lot more participants/spectators.

While the support of the Narromine community has been stellar, do forumites think there could be a better venue that would be more convenient for both participants and spectators to get to? Would holding the event closer to a major centre attract more spectators or enthusiasts? Could the quality of the event be improved by being at a different location?

I'd be interested in opinions and suggestions.

In my opinion, that is a fairly important observation. Although I wouldn't say the effort was wasted on the few, rather the effort could have supported a lot more participants/spectators..

Shirley the main purpose should be to get new blood who can afford it into the sport - making it convenient for regulars and in lower economy centers isn't the best way to achieve that.

Is there a better place for it, though? I'm trying to think of an airfield near a major centre which has parking for 200 planes.

So criteria we are looking for are:

1. Near a major centre (preferably within a 2 hour drive of one of Melbourne/Canberra/Sydney/Brisbane)

2. Easily accessible for all types of aircraft from PPCs to warbirds (so OCTA and not surrounded by Tiger country)

3. Suitable for operations of all types of aircraft (at least one good sealed runway)

4. Parking for over 200 aircraft

5. Air show to be supported by local council and community (so a pro-aviation community)

6. Adequate infrastructure to support the event (camping facilities, accommodation facilities, etc.)

7. VFR weather normal for the anticipated period of the event

Now let's rack our brains and see whether we can come up with some suggestions... If we cannot find one that fits the bill, let's find ones that fit the criteria closely.

So, suggestions?

Y

So criteria we are looking for are:1. Near a major centre (preferably within a 2 hour drive of one of Melbourne/Canberra/Sydney/Brisbane)

2. Easily accessible for all types of aircraft from PPCs to warbirds (so OCTA and not surrounded by Tiger country)

3. Suitable for operations of all types of aircraft (at least one good sealed runway)

4. Parking for over 200 aircraft

5. Air show to be supported by local council and community

6. Adequate infrastructure to support the event (camping facilities, accommodation facilities, etc.)

7. VFR weather normal for the anticipated period of the event

Now let's rack our brains and see whether we can come up with some suggestions... If we cannot find one that fits the bill, let's find ones that fit the criteria closely.

So, suggestions?

You forgot one thing it needs a local community and council that are pro aviation and supportive

YYou forgot one thing it needs a local community and council that are pro aviation and supportive

Yes, very important. I meant that to be covered by Criteria 5 so I've edited it to clarify that.

Seeing as its run by SAAA and their head office is there, youll have trouble moving it.

Do a search, this question been done to death

I was sad the Wright Flyer was hidden in a hanger and not out or even flying.

• Agree 1

Heres a thought, instead of dissecting the location why not look at it this way

1/ the success of a flying is determined by the number of aircraft on the ground

2/ the success of a flyin is determined by the number of pilots/attendees

3/ if the attendances are high business will deem it worth the effort to display the products

4/ if attendance is high there will be plenty of food vans

How about instead of thinking how we can move the flyin to somewhere else why not take ownership of its success !

Everyone I've talked to goes to these things( myself included) to catch up with mates number one, to see some flying displays ,two ,and to have a look around at some new planes or trinkets ,,,,,but if we all think of reasons why it's not worth while then we will get ,,,,,NOTHING!

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

When a major fly-in is combined with a major town event there have been issues. This one was the same days as the annual Show (probably so Warren Truss could attend both) which put pressure on accommodation and services - catering for example. Monto was another example, where it was held in conjunction with the Dairy festival - no rooms in town, we slept in the plane trailer, it was below zero overnight so people left a day early.

I can understand the organisers thinking that another event might give the non-flying partners and children something to do, but I think the lack of accommodation, overstretched catering and volunteers out weigh that notion. The first Ausfly we attended was brilliant. I don't think there was another major event that weekend, the food was fabulous and plentiful, lots to see, many displays and well organised.

Sue

I believe from locals that the air show dates were published first however the local show may have traditionally been on at this time. Maybe a lack of local knowledge when deciding the dates.

• Haha 1

Besides the attributes already mentioned, whatever venue we pick needs to be reliable. Let's stick with Narromine. It ticks all the major boxes. If people have certainty that it's on again, at the same venue, same time each year, over time it will develop a larger following.

At long last the artificial boundaries between different sorts of aviators are dissolving. Let's continue that trend.

• Agree 5
  • Caution 1