AusFly 2015 reports

flyvulcan

Some interesting discussion but fixated on a permanent venue rather than a floating one which perhaps deserves better thought being given to it.

The Antiquers hold its national flyins at different locations so that nearly all members have a chance to attend at least on occasions. The main event was at Echuca earlier this year and the Spring flyin is at Cowra in a coup,w of weeks. The Auster flyin was at Leeton and the next one will be combined with short wing Pipers at Wentworth.

Broken Hill got a mention somewhere above and I remember very well the great time we had there just a few years ago. And this in old aeroplanes!

Flyins are for pilots and those that want to be. Unless the RAA sets up a permanent home like SAAA, then moving the venue around would give the majority of members an opportunity to attend at least one national every few years....say Watts Bridge, Narromine and Swan Hill for starters.

Kaz

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ausfly is an SAAA event, their HQ is in Narromine

It has a key advantage being close enough to Dubbo without restrictions a big centre brings

RAA Natfly has gone, remember we moved it from........Narromine.

A concious decision was made to send team around several flyins as a main aim was to engage their members and theres no way that can happen at one single event in one place

Constant debate on moving will see reduced interest from suppliers and crowds. Without consistancy no infrastructure or relationships will be put on place and the event is seen as no more than a one off for the location

If you want to hold a flyin or promo event go and do it but support the one central one because the more people turn up the more suppliers and it grows

• Agree 4

Oshkosh is the worlds biggest flying, (I think), and it is ALWAYS held at the EAA headquarters in WI.

Do you believe that is fair to the flyers in CA or WA or FL who would have to make long cross country flights to get there, over or around the likes of the Seirra Madres or the Rockies?

It may not be Fair, but that doesn't stop it being Successful.

It has consistency, everyone knows where and when it will be and can make plans around those facts.

• Agree 4

We still aren't getting it,

It's not about the location,,,all the fond memories of Narromine ,Holbrook and mangalore happened at a time when a Skyfox was the fastest UL out there, drifters and thrusters were the norm , RV,s thorps and the experimentals were faster ,but there was plenty of slower VH stuff,,,,,,but the flyins thrived ,,we need to understand that it's our thinking that's the problem.

Our type of flying is about the journey ,not just the destination, actually when you get to the destination you talk about the journey!

I spent two hours on Sunday just gone flying to a mates place for lunch then a bit of site seeing, I didn't ring him to see if we could meet half way , I just enjoyed the trip , and the lunch at the other end.

If a two hour flight is the reason a FLYIN ,yes FLY in, fails then we deserve to see them go for good. For me Narromine is 5-6 hours , I don't dread it ,it's part of the weekend . I also go to flyins that are in Melbourne ,but flying in is more to do with the road traffic than adventure .

I say again, these flyins succeed or fall because of one thing only ,pilots wanting to get together , everything else flows from that , I mean we FLY PLANES ,it's a FLY in,,,,if the actual flying is so onerous then maybe we need two types of flyins , lots of little ones on the coast for the consumers and one big one somewhere for the aviators!

It is all up to us whether these events succeed or fail,,,,,just US ,,,,,,everything else flows from our willingness( makes it sound like hard work ) to go to these events !

• Agree 7
  • Winner 3

Well this thread has drifted so far from its headingDid anybody actually even go to Ausfly? Can you please post some pictures and experiences?

Yep I went. I had a great time. I even saw this good looking rv-6 that had flown all the way from WA.

I will post some pics tonight when I get home.

• Like 1

Guys dont forget not everyone owns planes...We have "I think"approx 3000 aircraft and 10,000 odd members which means not everyone who wants to go can or will fly...

Ausfly is over 8 hours drive from Port Macquarie and we had 16 members of our club go..11 flew and 5 drove so not everyone flys...

Had it been closer for sure we would have had more people drive...in fact 5 people told me they would have loved to go but it was too far for a weekend drive and they couldnt get the club aircraft which was already booked for the event. This to me would indicate around 50% of our possible attendees might drive if it where closer...

Guys dont forget not everyone owns planes...We have "I think"approx 3000 aircraft and 10,000 odd members which means not everyone who wants to go can or will fly...Ausfly is over 8 hours drive from Port Macquarie and we had 16 members of our club go..11 flew and 5 drove so not everyone flys...

Had it been closer for sure we would have had more people drive...in fact 5 people told me they would have loved to go but it was too far for a weekend drive and they couldnt get the club aircraft which was already booked for the event. This to me would indicate around 50% of our possible attendees might drive if it where closer...

The problem is, if it is closer to you, then it is further away for someone else.

• Agree 1

Be careful saying it should be for pilots/aircraft owners only.

The more favourable public support/exposure for our hobby, the better for everyone.

The publics dollar is no different to our own...... spent at a flyin, all the better.

And it potentially introduces new blood aswell.....something badly needed.

I still think the best way to promote recreational aviation is to trailer a aircraft ( like Skyfox flight training used to do in the nineties) to major shopping centres. Skyfoxes are getting long in the tooth now so anything similar that is easily trailerable will do, a Eurofox or something.

The key I thing back then was that people saw the aircraft on the trailer and thought, wow I don't need a hangar. The general public are not as dumb when it comes to aviation as we make out.

• Winner 1

I still think the best way to promote recreational aviation is to trailer a aircraft ( like Skyfox flight training used to do in the nineties) to major shopping centres. Skyfoxes are getting long in the tooth now so anything similar that is easily trailerable will do, a Eurofox or something.The key I thing back then was that people saw the aircraft on the trailer and thought, wow I don't need a hangar. The general public are not as dumb when it comes to aviation as we make out.

Something like this...?

DSC04277.jpg.47f51a22a3074c8600c8a71756da4b36.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg.c27b9f16dced4a58aedb89ddee228918.jpg

• Like 2

The problem is, if it is closer to you, then it is further away for someone else.

And don't forget that if you move it closer to one person you may well move it further away from 2, 3, 4 ... 100. You need to balance it to providing equity of access while minimising the inconvenience to most people.

All this discussion about location for a national fly-in is all very well but it's been discussed at great length a couple of times in the last two years or so and at least one particular contributor still seems locked onto the idea that it needs to be near to what he believes is the majority of the RAAus members/flyers.

Unless things have changed while I wasn't looking I'm pretty sure that the majority are not in New South Wales or Victoria, they're actually in Queensland, co-incidentally where the State of Origin Trophy also lives. In fact when a count-up was done there were as many members and planes in Queensland, as in Vic and NSW combined ... that may have changed but if it has no-one has told me.

The reason that we up here are quite happy for you down there to have our national fly-in nearer to you is that over the years we've come to realise that you mob don't really like flying very far and that's because it's all quite cramped down there and you're not used to big wide open spaces and all that.

Of course there are a few who have spread their wings previously and have experienced the great outdoors, we call them the metal men of the world, but for one reason or the other they've had to migrate back down to the microcosm, but they still delight in re-living their adventures of yesteryear and so a gentle 5-6 hour hop is spent as it should be, enjoying the journey, rather than worrying about the destination.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 3
  • Winner 1

I still think the best way to promote recreational aviation is to trailer a aircraft ( like Skyfox flight training used to do in the nineties) to major shopping centres. Skyfoxes are getting long in the tooth now so anything similar that is easily trailerable will do, a Eurofox or something.The key I thing back then was that people saw the aircraft on the trailer and thought, wow I don't need a hangar. The general public are not as dumb when it comes to aviation as we make out.

Daz...the SAAA have a Corby starlet on a trailer sitting in the hangar at Narromine for just this purpose!

Scotty

• Like 1

Daz...the SAAA have a Corby starlet on a trailer sitting in the hangar at Narromine for just this purpose!Scotty

Awesome Scotty, we need to attract people who have always " wanted to fly" but for what ever reason have never actually got around to doing it. Aircraft on trailers placed in shopping centres maybe be the trigger to get people motivated enough to have a crack at learning to fly.

• Agree 1