just another jab sortee

Russ

they way your doing it should be not problems, its a fairly std catch can. Condensate etc should keep going to drain.

Jabiru sell a unit based on same concept, fits on top of oil filler.

The spare one I have is the same just longer

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks as if the oil fumes are routed back to the sump through the top of the crankcase ( NOT the actual cylinder barrel!!!!), while any water vapour should condense on the catch-can and accumulate in the bottom of it. So, yes, I'd expect a build up of emulsified water/oil in the catch can, and emptying that frequently would be a very good idea.

The CAMit TOCA (Thermostatically-controlled Oil-Cooler Adaptor) is a seriously good concept to:

a) minimise ground-run time to ensure satisfactory operating oil-temp;

b) ensure that you can run adequate oil-cooling capacity for all operating conditions without fudging the oil-cooler path for ambient conditions;

c) ensure that oil-temp is optimal to boil-off water vapour, thus removing the sulfuric acid build-up from low oil-temp. operation.

We all know that too high CHT's kills Jab engines. The effects of too LOW oil temps. is also a problem - but almost unrecognised. The oil temps need to be kept within a close tolerance range: too high and both the lubricating qualities and the heat transfer potential is reduced, and if very much too high, carbonisation will have drastic effects throughout the entire engine.

But too LOW, is not something well understood. One of CAMit's development partners, not too long ago, examined a failed main bearing shell from a Jab. engine and stated that it was a classic case of water in the oil boiling when hitting the heavily-stressed and hot main bearing and blowing the oil away from the shell centre. Most people observing a main-bearing shell failure ascribe it to a tunnel clearance problem - but more expert knowledge can identify a completely different cause.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

The separator shown has baffles inside, oil vapour hits and dribbles back via hose it came in.

Water vapour keeps going to normal drain container on firewall.

CAE now have a similar item which drains back through extra hole in casing.

Im seeing TOCA running a bit cool, being 75-78 deg, I have higher rated waxstat but have to remove toca to fit.

The separator shown has baffles inside, oil vapour hits and dribbles back via hose it came in.Water vapour keeps going to normal drain container on firewall.

CAE now have a similar item which drains back through extra hole in casing.

Im seeing TOCA running a bit cool, being 75-78 deg, I have higher rated waxstat but have to remove toca to fit.

Have you reoprted to Ian Bent? That sounds as if the TOCA is running a bit low, though where the OT probe is located may have some influence on that. I'm very interested, as about to mount a CAE TOCA on my engine.

The separator shown has baffles inside, oil vapour hits and dribbles back via hose it came in.Water vapour keeps going to normal drain container on firewall..

exactly...........