Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Paul Murray from sky news is doing a regional tour and of course got a real scoop in toowoomba!

 

New long-haul flight set to fly into Wellcamp Airport soon

Tobi Loftus
2-3 minutes

 

Tobi Loftus

21st Feb 2019 7:30 AM

Subscriber only

 

A NEW Boeing 777 service could soon be operating from Toowoomba Wellcamp Airport.

Speaking on Sky News Australia last night Wellcamp Airport boss John Wagner teased the new flight.

"We can take 747s, A380s and soon to be 777s actually in the not too distant future," Mr Wagner told host Paul Murray.

"We see us being a national logistics and freight hub and that will just create more work for Toowoomba."

The Boeing 777 is a long-haul plane usually used for international flights from Australia.

When asked by The Chronicle what this service would entail, Mr Wagner remained tight-lipped.

It's believed the service won't be a passenger flight.

Toowoomba Wellcamp Airport is currently serviced by one international freight service a week, Cathay Pacific's flight to Hong Kong.

It is not believed the new service would be operated by Cathay Pacific as they only use the Boeing 777 passenger model.

In November Cathay Pacific Regional Head of Cargo SWP Nigel Chynoweth said their freight service had grown since its introduction in 2016.

 

"We have seen year-on-year tonnage growth out of Toowoomba Wellcamp, and while we are not planning to change the frequency of our service, we regularly review the performance of all our routes to ensure we are capturing the demand that exists in the market," Mr Chynoweth said.

"We are pleased with the freighter from Wellcamp. We uplift weekly shipments of perishables, including chilled meat, produce and dairy and also oversize shipments of mining equipment, aircraft engines and artwork."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who named the airport? Did anyone check to see who named it?

 

I'm not kidding. Go check and PM me. I'm surprised @fly_tornado let this one slip through, being the total fact hound this forum user has been in the past

Edited by mnewbery
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

First equine cargo departs from Wellcamp

WELLCAMP Airport became the departure point for a large consignment of thoroughbred racehorses last week, a first for the facility.

Twenty-one horses, purchased through the Magic Millions Sales, arrived at Wellcamp a few hours before their departure last Monday. They were loaded onto the weekly Cathay Pacific Cargo service freighter bound for South Korea.

Equine International Airfreight was the company charged with the responsibility of preparation and handling.

 

 

"Moving horses from Australia is not uncommon, but it is uncommon to be moving horses directly out of Queensland to an overseas destination," Equine International Airfreight Managing Director Cameron Croucher said.

"We have been working on this for quite some time and we are delighted that Toowoomba Wellcamp Airport has been so supportive."

The horses were loaded into air stables that can comfortably fit three large horses in each container. During the flight they are monitored by experienced, professional flying grooms and provided feed and water.

 

finally found a niche

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's some niche to find. Those high-flying, mega-buck racehorse owners would happily pay huge money to ship their prize steeds around the world. Once you're in with the global racehorse set, money is no object.

What next, I wonder? Shipping some of our top quality bush camels to Saudi Arabia, to boost their weakling, inbred racing camels?? :cheezy grin:

Ahh, hang on, they'd have to go via Emirates, wouldn't they? Well, there's another target market for Wellcamp - getting the Middle Eastern airlines to include the place in the ME carriers stopovers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2019 at 3:18 PM, fly_tornado said:

At the time the brisbane west wellcamp name did seem like CASA thought the whole thing was a bit of a laugh. It's a shame that so many people took it so seriously.

I don't think too many people even heard about it, or cared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, onetrack said:

That's some niche to find. Those high-flying, mega-buck racehorse owners would happily pay huge money to ship their prize steeds around the world. Once you're in with the global racehorse set, money is no object.

unfortunately it's a bit of drive for the melbourne cup 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

huge opportunity for @mnewbery to get back into the game

 

Qantas changes training provider for Toowoomba Pilot Academy

Tobi Loftus
2-3 minutes

 

Tobi Loftus

13th Mar 2019 5:00 AM

Subscriber only

 

QANTAS will no longer work with training provider L3 as part of its plan to build a pilot training academy at Wellcamp Airport.

A spokeswoman for the airline confirmed the decision this week.

"We expect to instead be working with another training provider and we will be in a position to announce this soon," she said.

"It has no impact on our plans to start training in mid-2019."

Architects are currently working on the final designs for the facilities, including hangars, classrooms and student accommodation. These plans are expected to be lodged with Toowoomba Regional Council soon.

The airline is also working on scholarships program for the academy, which will make a number of grants available to students who need it. There will also be a mentoring program with senior Qantas Group pilots for students.

Qantas Group Pilot Academy executive manager Wes Nobelius said everything was on track for the academy to accept its first students in the middle of this year.

"It's been a busy couple of months for the Pilot Academy team with detailed design work under way with the Wagners and the local community to bring together plans for our new Pilot Academy," Mr Nobelius said.

"Naturally, it takes time to have facilities designed, approved and built so to make sure we can start training as soon as possible, we're looking at temporary accommodation for the first intake of students in the mid-2019."

Toowoomba was announced as the location of the first of two much anticipated Qantas Pilot Academies in September last year. The second location has not been named.

Once it is fully operational the academy will have the capacity to train up to 250 pilots a year. The academy site will create ongoing employment for up to 160 people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imagine chasing that $10M by spending more money on Wellcamp's 1 flight a week freight business

 

 

Wagners to submit business case for massive freight hub

Weather
2-3 minutes

 

18th Mar 2019 5:00 AM | Updated: 12:51 PM

Subscriber only

 

WAGNERS has been invited to submit a business case for a multimillion-dollar agricultural export distribution centre at Toowoomba Wellcamp Airport.

State Development Minister Cameron Dick said the State Government made an election commitment to provide up to $10 million from its $150 million Jobs and Regional Growth Fund for the project.

Wagner Corporation and Air Freight Handling Services in Cairns were the two companies selected to put together detailed business cases.

"The delivery of this election commitment will support the development and construction of an agricultural export distribution pilot centre in regional Queensland," Mr Dick said.

"Wagner Corporation will now start work on a business case for Toowoomba, after progressing through the expression of interest process, which attracted detailed proposals from across Queensland.

"An export distribution centre of this type is new for Queensland, and we are taking our time to get it right.

"A final decision on the outcome of the process and the location of the regional export distribution hub will be made later this year."

Mr Dick said a Regional Export Distribution Centre would help boost rapid airfreight access for Queensland agricultural producers.

"This type of facility has the potential to help our primary producers access key international markets, while supporting regional jobs and enhancing agricultural productivity," he said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, fly_tornado said:

Imagine chasing that $10M by spending more money on Wellcamp's 1 flight a week freight business

 

 

Wagners to submit business case for massive freight hub

Weather
2-3 minutes

 

18th Mar 2019 5:00 AM | Updated: 12:51 PM

 

Subscriber only

 

WAGNERS has been invited to submit a business case for a multimillion-dollar agricultural export distribution centre at Toowoomba Wellcamp Airport.

State Development Minister Cameron Dick said the State Government made an election commitment to provide up to $10 million from its $150 million Jobs and Regional Growth Fund for the project.

Wagner Corporation and Air Freight Handling Services in Cairns were the two companies selected to put together detailed business cases.

"The delivery of this election commitment will support the development and construction of an agricultural export distribution pilot centre in regional Queensland," Mr Dick said.

"Wagner Corporation will now start work on a business case for Toowoomba, after progressing through the expression of interest process, which attracted detailed proposals from across Queensland.

"An export distribution centre of this type is new for Queensland, and we are taking our time to get it right.

"A final decision on the outcome of the process and the location of the regional export distribution hub will be made later this year."

Mr Dick said a Regional Export Distribution Centre would help boost rapid airfreight access for Queensland agricultural producers.

"This type of facility has the potential to help our primary producers access key international markets, while supporting regional jobs and enhancing agricultural productivity," he said.

911751779_WagnerInfrastructure.png.aaeb8ca4fdfed37f419ca162e3cb647d.png

This should be sufficient for current, and future, needs. 

 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cameron Dick and Milton Dick are ALP royalty in QLD, at one stage there was talk of Dick challenging Palaczszuk 

 

17 hours ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

911751779_WagnerInfrastructure.png.aaeb8ca4fdfed37f419ca162e3cb647d.png

This should be sufficient for current, and future, needs.  

 

we've just spent $1.6B building the Range bypass to allow faster road access to Brisbane for freight, throwing $10M of gov money at Wellcamp seems bit stupid.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×