Drifter on a Trailer?

dpok80

I am looking at getting into flying again and thinking about how practical the Drifter will be for me. I live in Brisbane so Redcliffe, Watts Bridge and a few other strips are about 1-1.5 hours away. Ultimately, if I go down the route I am planning, I'd like to own a Drifter and I would prefer not to hanger it in one location. So I have a few questions:

Do Drifters go on a trailer easy?

How long does it take to get it on and off the trailer?

Approximately how much do trailers cost?

Is it just too impractical to use a trailer?

Thanks in advance.

dp

That is a good question. As I am only starting my journey (again) into flying, I'm not sure. Is one more compatible with a trailer? I like the sound of a SB but I have previously flown the WB and liked that also. Really only doing my research (dreaming) now as I start to plan out my goals.

My Drifter lives in a trailer, I rig it every time I go flying. I have it set up so that I can rig/de-rig in about 30 min on a good day or 40 min if I dawdle. My trailer is fully enclosed, but lightly built. It has a hoist to lift the wings on, and a winch to pull the fuselage into the trailer.

Yes, it does get a bit annoying at times, but I pay no hangarage, and it's safe in my back yard.

• Like 5
  • Informative 2

Not tomorrow either according to the weather report I saw. However your circumstances are different to mine and if you can afford the rig/de-rig time for a couple of laps of your favourite grass farm/watermelon patch/scenic escarpment ... Then aviate my brother and make us jealous.

Getting back to the thread, there are more highly trailer-friendly options such as the kitfox. If you want a tail dragger specifically then this will narrow the options considerably. Also something to consider, can an aircraft be de-rigged by one person or does it require more help such as people or a winch?

I'd be looking at a Sonex on a custom trailer. I don't even have room for a trailer so that stuffs me.

I dont think trailering a Drifter regularly is practicable. There is a great SB Drifter for sale ATM. Tex here on this site has one for sale.

Thanks Dazza, I saw that Drifter for sale. Price seems reasonable, location is good, just the timing is a little out for me. I've got a bit of 'work' to do on the home front before I would be ready to buy (hence the research now) - realistically about 12 months away.

mnewbery, I'd love to see some pictures of your setup if you get a chance next time you rig-up.

I might start looking into trailer-friendly setups like the Kitfox. I loved the Drifter about 9 years ago so I thought I would start there. I'll see where my research into a trailer-friendly aircraft takes me.

There's a few Kitfoxs on my field, a few fold the wings every time ,I don't ,but then I have the room not to, it takes about 10-15 mins to prep them to fly . There's one of the Coldstream ones for sale in the RAA members market, they're great little aircraft .

Good day for it...........Malu to Inglewood, walk into town for lunch, Inglewood back to Malu.

Some pics. You can see by the time stamp (time and date not actually correct) that it took 47 min to rig.

DSCI0005.JPG.2e5a6f439d8b13ff4cae205eee235069.JPG

DSCI0006.JPG.ff560c59ded19fc09a3bc6b9ef724cef.JPG

DSCI0007.JPG.d97ec88c234574cdd3f32d3c78b4e454.JPG

DSCI0009.JPG.d0f3bd395fc47fce621e4d6ec192814b.JPG

DSCI0010.JPG.c900305fb4d99bf434bb8ac5ec9166e5.JPG

DSCI0011.JPG.d6edbc7f78c6b53bf6021d348da44e5d.JPG

DSCI0012.JPG.4e5c606786d32058a74b4b3239e04b39.JPG

DSCI0013.JPG.25d019225a297be3b0e1c85af1280bfa.JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Also for the record, the trailer cost me about $2500 in materials. The empty weight is 480kg and would be lighter with an aluminium checkerplate floor, but I like that the ply adds weight down low.

• 3 weeks later...