Sport vs recreational Pilot?

barramundi

Sport and recreational are USA pilot ratings and only good in the USA. Neither is ICAO certified so may not operate outside the US and are below a Private. The Sport rating is very popular as less training is required and no medical either, but does have many restrictions. IG. no night flying, only one passenger. limited to certian airspace. The Recreational never caught on as it required a medical and took as much training as a private.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Well that's easy!

SPORT =

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

RECREATIONAL =

relating to or denoting activity done for enjoyment when one is not working.

So I guess I'll be both soon? As I have a spot landing comp coming up soon that'll make me a sport pilot to go with my usual recreational piloting... All done in a 95.10 mtow 300 kgs .. 50 kt max cruise .

So sport pilot or rec pilot refers to piloting ?Not plane right? As that's a whole new thread ;)

• Agree 1

Dictionary Definition.

Recreation.

1. Refreshment of one's mind or body after work through activity that amuses or stimulates; play.

2. An activity that provides such refreshment.

3. Refreshment of health or spirits by relaxation and enjoyment.

Sport.

a. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and is often undertaken competitively.

b. A usually challenging activity undertaken for amusement.

c. Fun; amusement.

080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif....All of the above for me!!!

Frank.

• Agree 2

Guest Andys@coffs

Its very simple in Australia

Recreational pilots fly using a recreational pilot certificate, under the control of Recreational Aviationa Australia.

Sports Pilots are recreational pilots trying for a government grant usually from the Government department that bestows grants on sporitng organisations, usually in a manner that an independent observer would generally use words like pork and barrel to describe the methodology applied to determine who gets a $ and who don't and more importantly in what seat they live......

Well that's easy!SPORT =

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

RECREATIONAL =

relating to or denoting activity done for enjoyment when one is not working.

So I guess I'll be both soon? As I have a spot landing comp coming up soon that'll make me a sport pilot to go with my usual recreational piloting... All done in a 95.10 mtow 300 kgs .. 50 kt max cruise .

So sport pilot or rec pilot refers to piloting ?Not plane right? As that's a whole new thread ;)

You may have to get one of those planes that was flown across the English Channel by cycling for you to qualify as a "Sports Pilot".

• Like 1

What about, "everyone wins a trophy pilot"That way we can all feel great, get home safely and have ridiculous ego's no matter how bad we fly...

I tried telling my wife she had a trohpy pilot..... she laughed for ages.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1