Air Base to close because jets are noisy

old man emu

From my experience property developers and real estate agents will lie, cheat and steal to make money. Airports are always soft targets because they generate a lot of high intensity noise and don't make a lot of money, if any. Its impossible to find large tracts of vacant land close to the population.

The article is saying they are closing child care centres because of the risk of hearing damage to the kids from the jets. After having a BBQ with 6 screaming kids running round, and comparing that to a twin jet taxing past about 20 meters away - the pain threshold was about the same :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 3

The article is saying they are closing child care centres because of the risk of hearing damage to the kids from the jets. After having a BBQ with 6 screaming kids running round, and comparing that to a twin jet taxing past about 20 meters away - the pain threshold was about the same :)

I usually find the application of the cattle prod reduces the overall volume from children ... and reduces the visits as well - Win-Win ;-)

• Haha 2

I usually find the application of the cattle prod reduces the overall volume from children ... and reduces the visits as well - Win-Win ;-)

You and I have different results in regards to the application of cattle prods to kids............... I definately got a volume increase:whistling:

But I sense an increase in visits from dark suits:peep wall:

You and I have different results in regards to the application of cattle prods to kids............... I definately got a volume increase:whistling:

But I sense an increase in visits from dark suits:peep wall:

I did say overall - the point in time noise is quite high but they learn really quickly ;-P

Six kids in a backyard making a bit of noise? You whuz. Try driving a bus-load of Primary School children across the city! And if I hear anyone singing, "The wheels on the bus ...", they're off!

OME

Six kids in a backyard making a bit of noise? You whuz. Try driving a bus-load of Primary School children across the city! And if I hear anyone singing, "The wheels on the bus ...", they're off!OME

I would be tempted to drive into the nearest tree.

Just for you OME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExNXHL5UyU8

Many moons ago, when Stansted (London) airport was much quieter than now, I was hand-balled a call by the switchboard operator. A person was looking to move into the area and wandered which were likeliest to be the noisiest area.

I gave him a run down based on my having lived in the area for a number of years. He thanked me profusely, but before he hung up I left him with a parting note. If you move near an airport and then ring me up with a noise complaint, then I'm going to tell you to eff off. "Fair enough", he said with a chuckle.

From my experience property developers and real estate agents will lie, cheat and steal to make money. Airports are always soft targets because they generate a lot of high intensity noise and don't make a lot of money, if any. Its impossible to find large tracts of vacant land close to the population.

Whilst working at RAAF Pearce I heard the story that the real estate trade used to take people around the Port Stephens peninsula area on weekends, the RAAF weren't flying Sats or Suns.

Another one I heard, was a newbie to the Sqn was posted on the phone to deal with the public and 1 fellow rang up complaining about the low flying aircraft scaring his turkeys, who aren't the brightest of birds, they would all rush around and huddle in the corners, crushing each other.

Apparently Newbie told him that the RAAF had the ideal solution. To which Turkey Farmer eagerly asked to be informed.

Newbie told him to build round sheds, they didn't have corners.

After that, experienced staff manned the phones.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 3

I lived in east Holland many years ago. Fighter and ground attack aircraft (US, UK and Dutch) would use the big canal nearby and it's bridges as targets and practise "attacking" them. It was a glorious time. Bucaneer's at nought feet along the canal and zoom up over the bridge. Wonderful. I lived in a Nieuwe Wijk. a sort of New development. As the area filled up so petitions were circulated to stop the aircraft as it "Frightened the children" .... I had the good fortune to be able to tell one protester that knocked on the door asking me to sign the petition that I loved the aircraft and a Russian Tank in the street might frighten more than the children. I was ostrasized and made quite unwelcome... Odd that I didn't care.....

• Like 4

Bit like the idiots that want Essendon airport closed because of the noise and safety concerns.Three words.. YOU MOVED THERE.

it's not as simple as that. These childcare centres will be used by the families of RAAF staff on the bases. They would rightly want to use the centre on the base to look after their kids. I don't blame them for being annoyed at the noise which of course is ear-splitting. Maybe the RAAF is to blame for putting the childcare facilities where they did.

• Informative 1

and those child care facilities are actually physically located within the ADF base. Makes me feel sorry for the mum and dad adf members (and supporting civilian staff mum and dads) who no longer have access to child care facilities near their work.

• Agree 1

For clarity -The heading of this post has it wrong - there is no airbases closing, it is child care places closing because of the noise.

Quite so, but you can't blame me for employing a journalistic trick of the trade.

OME

• Agree 1