Port Lincoln accident

Guest asmol

Dead set.........a jab........( which BTW, account for 30+% of all rec craft in Oz ).......and we read this header here....."another jab goes down "

this "tone" that gets bandied about every single time..............i'm puckin over the rubbish.

Thankyou to jabiru, for designing a damn fine flying machine, at an affordable price........after sales service 2nd to none. The tenacity of jab to continue and improve their product, while constantly getting garbage emotive rubbish as shown here.......and elsewhere.

the pathetic rubbish that gets said re jabs, bewilds me.

Ask any of the non jab owners to accompany you in "their" aircraft, and you in your jab jab, on a seriously extended fly around......the pathetics will come up with excuses why they can't. These folks do the 100 mile stuff from departure point.......then have the gonades to say they fly xcountry..........wana bees.

I will be bold enough to say.......if it wasn't for jabs, rec aviation would still be tube and fabric, and pilot numbers would be a fraction of what they are now......

so get that into ya................Grrrrrrrr

• Like 2
  • Agree 13
  • Caution 1

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like my tube and fabric plane. And I am happy to fly it a bit as well, not just my 1 hour per week.

My Mrs loves flying in the schools J230. She is a bit different to me, when she flys it is to go somewhere, be it a flyin, lunch or whatever.

When I fly it is to fly so I really do not mind flying slower and in my R & T plane. So lets not generalise in our gripe about generalisation Russ. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

geoff..........i wasn't having a go re rag and tube.....not at all. jab and composites, their design, their product, has boomed rec flying. ( whenever i get the chance to hop into a rag/tube, i love it )

• Informative 1

80% of school training is done in a jab, they are the most .....by light yrs.....the most used trainer in Oz..... they are everywhere.

Fly to any point on the compass here oz, middle of now where.........you'll meet another jab, doing exactly the same thing. Yes...........the engine does need "special" attention, no denying that......and that is being addressed continually.

• Agree 1

80% of school training is done in a jab, they are the most .....by light yrs.....the most used trainer in Oz..... they are everywhere.Fly to any point on the compass here oz, middle of now where.........you'll meet another jab, doing exactly the same thing. Yes...........the engine does need "special" attention, no denying that......and that is being addressed continually.

Jeez 80 % of aircraft used for training are Jabiru's seems pretty optimistic, the most popular RAA trainers around here are Tecnams and Foxbats.

Do you have an official link ?

• Agree 4

Fair enough......my area, around 96% are jab trainers.

I would suggest, if this latest fiasco re casa and jab, had not occurred, then many prev jab schools would not have been forced to seek another manufacturer.

Interesting that the locality Hawson is west of Port Lincoln and there are a couple of private strips very near. In fact if you search for Hawson in Google Earth the pin is on the road exactly opposite one of them.

Not a soft landing, a lot of downward force to collapse that wing.

Teckair, I'd bet that it's not a downward collapse of the wing but a failure of the rear wing attachment point (probably torn from the root rib of the wing) caused by the wings kinetic energy during the rapid deceleration of the A/C in the long grass.

• Agree 2

Two different aircraft- both suffered similar forced landing with strong decelerations - both had the rear attachment points fail. The forward load on the attachment lugs exceeded the design forces as the aircraft slowed suddenly. Consider the not insignificant force applied to the rear attachment points by the leverage arm of the wing. We shouldn't assume it's a a design or build failure, Those are forces one wouldn't expect to meet in flight conditions & therefore not a force that the aircraft would be designed to accommodate!

246721966_Rearattachpoints1.png.ff7f445049193ff51eae69ea5d2407a3.png

1172414715_Rearattachpoints2.png.c48dd2e67d2fab9d38bb4535df5a3bae.png

1244637089_Portwingrootribwingattachmentpointarea.png.4f9006951e1088c2beeb3eff71bc7d1b.png

272858155_StbdwingattachmentlugJabST1.png.538ce056361cda6390cb1392731c17ef.png

• Informative 2

Its an oldy, one of first widebody Jabirus

Still has "sharks fin" fuel venting system, mine was similar but changed to current setup after running out of fuel ... With fuel still left, so the story goes

Some early nose wheels had fibreglass leg attachment and were eaisily broken with weight of 3300 on it and hard landings

Id have thought that height cereal crop would have massive drag, tearing rear mount could be simply when the nose gear dug in

Another excellent survival in Jab airframe

I am not saying there is a design problem here.

Understood Trek, I didn't take it that you were. I put that comment in to forestall others who might see it as that. The photos are from our A/C and from another A/C that we purchased the wings from. Our first thoughts were that as both aircraft had almost identical failures of the attach points there must be a build or design fault but discussions with the designer and others convinced us otherwise. That said, we have incorporated a modification into the replacement wings that adds some strength in that area. Hopefully we'll never have to put the mod to the test.

I'm with you Russ! No good can come from post headings such as this one. I have contacted Ian before on this point. Disaffected people on this and other forums have contributed to giving CASA licence to treat the most successful aircraft/engine manufacturer in Australian history in an absolutely disgraceful and contemptible way. All the revisions and upgrades done to the different versions of the Jab engines clearly showing a progressive effort to better the products have meant nothing to an overbearing regulator (CASA) hell bent on being ---holes to make reputations for themselves.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

[ATTACH]38273[/ATTACH]Next trip, early 2016. Slight changes maybe....

In me jab....

I googled Jabiru J160.

850 NM at 100Knt over 8.5 hours.

Plenty to make the hop to Lord Howe Island from Brissie, then skip the usual run to Norfolk island and hop straight over to Kerikeri. Only 777 miles from LH is to Kiwiland.

Why not make a transTasman flight and REALLY put it ip the whingers?

• Like 1

For the sake of the truth and the undeserved attention such a title creates can we have the thread name changed.Please ADMIN.

Good luck with that request Litespeed. You've got more chance of getting Andrew Bolt come out in support of Bill Shorten. It could happen but.........

Come on Mods! Prove me wrong! gagged.gif.60d96579bce4672c685d482e13fb64dd.gif