Lyndons Savannah VG Thread

Lyndon

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see some people use the battery lead as a negative to the engine. Then fit a larger cable for the positive. Seems like a good idea to me. Thoughts on benefits vs extra weight. If so what size cable am I looking for.

Lyndon

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing the cooling system now. Both my outlets don't match the pump Or the header tank with the the straight bit of hose supplied in the kit that is quite frankly too big in diameter. I presuming the left side of the radiator goes to the header tank and the right side which is the suction side goes to the pump ??. Or are there two huge loops at the rear of the engine .

Lyndon

I have upgraded the reg to three phase mosfet. My engine came with an old Ducati regulator. Got a genuine one of a used r1 yamaha for about 50 bucks. ( 2007 and on) . In the bike world these are the duck guts. Once fitted on a bike all your reliability issues are fixed. The risk of buying new and a fake vs a genuine used was not worth it.

Lyndon

• 6 months later...

I'm back on my plane. I had an accident last November on my bike. Anyway I'm all good now. Two questions.

I have a female thread in my air cleaner. I take it an option for some sensor. Thoughts ??? Get it or just blank bit off.

Secondly. I'm looking at my radio. The 760 that fits neatly in the dash. How much Ariel do I need to order with it and where to put the areil. Or if some one has a better idea I'm all ears. I'm not overly fussed with it as I want a cheap unit that work's ok with a pair of head sets.

Lyndon

well you could have spent all that spare time reading the manual a few times

Have you looked at the airbox installation in the book?????..the thread is for your temp sensor

There is only 1 antenna and a length of coax to attach the radio to the antenna. I have my antenna under the front floor most have their antennas on the rear of the top deck...then again most are not radio techs are they

Thanks for the info. I have only found one sensor in my kit and have fitted to the fuselage inside near the fuel tank header tank. It looks like it's an option with what goes in the air box. I take it must be air box tempt. I will look again but in thought two lenghts were on offer for the Ariel cable lengths. Under will work well for running the cable etc

Lyndon

My manual shows no sensor in the air box what so ever. Only the external one behind the seats. It does however refer to a switch that can be mounted on the dash to switch between these two sensors. Thus my question is it worth getting. My kit is over 10 years old and it may well be not a good manual like the the later ones.

Lyndon

Hi Lyndon

If you ever fly in places/conditions that are conducive to carburettor ice the simple answer is yes, it is worth installing the sensor to monitor air box temperature.

Don't believe those who will say that Bing carburettors are immune to icing. Perhaps they are somewhat less susceptible than other types of carburettors but it can still happen

My viewpoint is from personal experience, and experiences of one or two other pilots personally known to me.

Peter

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

Lyndon, my kit is a late 2014 S.

It has the switch you describe, and two sensors, one for the airbox.

From what I have read and heard, it is a very good idea to have this.

My manual shows no sensor in the air box what so ever. Only the external one behind the seats. It does however refer to a switch that can be mounted on the dash to switch between these two sensors. Thus my question is it worth getting. My kit is over 10 years old and it may well be not a good manual like the the later ones.Lyndon

This is a wider question beyond Lyndon 's Savannah VG that came with an Italo-Inglisi build manual:

Has the Savannah construction manual improved over the last ten years?

Absolutely...

The explanatory photographs are usually on the following page rather than the facing page, which would be more useful. Otherwise there is much less of "be careful not to the making of the confusion" a quote maybe from a later VG manual, much of this left us with the XL and S model manuals.

Engine installation is still pretty much glossed over in favor of "refer to engine manufacturers installation manual" which is far less approachable for an amateur builder, making this phase of the build far more daunting than earlier phases.