Hi everyone...

Guest Jess

My name is Jess, and I am very new to the idea of flying! At the moment I am in the seriously considering (and saving) stage of flying lessons... I guess Cessnock would be the nearest option for me... Anyway, if anyone has any tips or advice for starting around Newcastle, that would be great!

Cheers...

PS - I am very new to the whole forum thing - forgive me if I mess up here and there!

Thanks guys - I have checked out a few of the forums - everyone sounds very knowledgable! I haven't progressed much further than 'ooh, that red and yellow biplane looks pretty!' stage, but I will get there, I guess! One of the reasons behind this idea is that my mum used to fly when she was much younger, and now has MS, so I would like to be able to go flying with her one day... If she is brave enough!!!

Thanks Chris...

Do you have any advice on good books/websites etc on flying, especially on types of aircraft and other useful things? I am a bit lost!

Thanks again...

Guest disperse

Hi Jess, I'm only up to around 7hrs in training.

first check out the training schools in your area (unless you want to do a live in training).

decide on 3 axis (normal) or weight shift (hang glider with a engine)

once you know which schools are close enough to you. then your pretty well stuck with the airplanes that they have.

most seem to be the Jabiru (I'm learning in a jabiru lsa55) but there are others such as the Lightwing which is a taildragger.

if you havn't yet check out the Ra-aus web site (click the link)

they have a lot of infomation there. but my biggest problem was understanding the numerous abbreviations...

if you search around ther site they do have a list of registerd schools.

but most of all keep asking questions here, because this is where I've got most of my imformation.........that and Google searching everything

Thank you! I discovered the RA-Aus website earlier today - its really good! I think mostly the places around me teach only in GA aircraft... But I am led to believe that license is interchangable to recreational??

Thank you again!

Guest disperse

if you go here and scroll down. then click on "chief flying instructors"

there is a list of names and numbers. then a bit further there is a "list of clubs"

Can someone tell me if I'm correct in that ultralights have a passenger max of 1? (Part of the reason I would like to learn to fly is so that, many, many hours from now, I could volunteer for angel flight. They are champs.)

Thank you! I discovered the RA-Aus website earlier today - its really good! I think mostly the places around me teach only in GA aircraft... But I am led to believe that license is interchangeable to recreational??Hi Jess,

No the two licenses are NOT interchangeable. However you will get credit for some of the hours you do in either type. You will have to do a full conversion course to change from one type to the other.

Visit a few of the flying schools and ask a lot of questions before you choose one type or the other. Both in aircraft types and flying schools.

Best wishes

John

Hi Jess

Try and find a school that does both RAAus and GA - this will make it easier for you to go straight to GA and remember that when you sit your BAK get them to allow you to sit the GA BAK - it will be much easier for you in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pelorus32

Hi Jess,

I'm coming to this a bit late, hope it's still relevant. Firstly welcome, you can have a lot of fun flying.

Now to RA versus GA. Hours that you do in RA count towards your GA license if you do the RA hours in a 3 axis - like a Jabiru or a Tecnam etc.

The skills are the same but it tends to be cheaper to fly and learn in RA aircraft than it does in GA aircraft.

Many people do what Ian suggested. They start in RA at a school that does both RA and GA and then when they have their Pilot Certificate (and usually passenger and cross country) then go on to GA.

My daughter did her first solo this week - she turned 16 a month ago.

Have fun and ask questions whenever you need help.

Regards

Mike

GA RA

Jess,

I have started to do my GA and just changed over to RA due to the costs. I was paying $258 for a lesson in GA and now paying $155 in RA.

I will cross back over to GA in the future and get credit for hours and skills attained in RA which will save me thousands of dollars on my calculations.

You will need GA for Angel stuff that is for sure and probably plently of hours.

Have fun!!!!

Jim