Man injured in NSW light plane crash

I've heard that they can be a bit of a handful on the ground. If the news reports are true and he had three previous attempts to land it would appear the elements were trying to tell him something. Hope he can get it into the air again.

• Caution 1

76 years old. Has anyone analysed the crash data related to age of pilot? The recent survey here suggested that there are a lot of newer, younger pilots now flying, but the crashes seem predominantly to be elderly males.

Guest Maj Millard
76 years old. Has anyone analysed the crash data related to age of pilot? The recent survey here suggested that there are a lot of newer, younger pilots now flying, but the crashes seem predominantly to be elderly males.

May be related to the fact that the majority of pilots are aged males.

Love the media bit saying he crashed into an airstrip. You'd have though at least one of them would have tried to get out of the way. The wind was howling on the coast yesterday & I'd have thought that after 3 attempts he may have gone on to Coffs. The Sandy Beach strip is in the hills & the ground rises steeply at the NW end. I'm told it is only a 1 way strip. According to Google Earth the elevation is 72 feet at the SE end & 108 feet at the NW end, it is 860 metres long & 1.9km from the end of the strip the top of the ridge is 870 feet high.

As we fly lighter aircraft we need to consider the conditions the plane can handle as much as we consider the conditions we as pilots can handle. I sure as hell don't fly my Jab in the conditions I used to fly the Tobago (hot strong gusty winds in 35°C temperatures).

• Agree 1