Presentation Eric from France

erd72

Hi Eric,

Just a question for you to clarify my understanding of your compliance.

Is it mandatory to have ballistic recovery systems in EU?

I visited an airfield in country Italy recently where all the aircraft had BRS.

Due to the language barrier I was not able to confirm.

Your reply would be welcome.

Meanwhile enjoy your Sav.

Cheers

PHIL.

1st stage of flap for the Sav is perfect. I reckon we need another stage between first and full flap. Whe I get a chance I am going to fit a new position on mine. Just that little bit more flap would be perfect. It is well known that full flap is too course on a short takeoff. Many Sav flyers have come to grief using full flap on takeoff.

I design differents new flap positions, looking forward to test in real conditions...[ATTACH=full]41673[/ATTACH]

Hello Eric; beautiful videos and a handsome airplane.

Regarding your flap position comments: You might wish to check out Mark Kyle's thread (Kyle Communications). On page 20 of his build thread you'll find some discussion and some design work he has done with the flap lever support plates. Engaging full flaps with the stock setup requires a forearm and wrist motion to pull the lever straight back towards the pilot's crotch. Mark has been able to incline the lever further forward in all positions with repositioned slots, detents and the lever pivot point. No other modifications are needed other than fabrication of new flap lever support plates.

Fly Safely,

CanadaDan

Hello Eric; beautiful videos and a handsome airplane.Regarding your flap position comments: You might wish to check out Mark Kyle's thread (Kyle Communications). On page 20 of his build thread you'll find some discussion and some design work he has done with the flap lever support plates. Engaging full flaps with the stock setup requires a forearm and wrist motion to pull the lever straight back towards the pilot's crotch. Mark has been able to incline the lever further forward in all positions with repositioned slots, detents and the lever pivot point. No other modifications are needed other than fabrication of new flap lever support plates.

Fly Safely,

CanadaDan

Hi Dan I will have a look on it !

The topic of the new plates is to creat a 3 dr position with more flaps to have less rolling (i expect close around 25 m with a short final 60 km/h, no wind, no breaks) in landing and more drag (first position from the right on 3 rd design plate). The "no flap" position in reality is close to negative flap position, to increase the cruising (i expect more than 10 Km/h)

Hi Dan I will have a look on it !The topic of the new plates is to creat a 3 dr position with more flaps to have less rolling (i expect close around 25 m with a short final 60 km/h, no wind, no breaks) in landing and more drag (first position from the right on 3 rd design plate). The "no flap" position in reality is close to negative flap position, to increase the cruising (i expect more than 10 Km/h)

It is an interesting concept but are there any other planes that fly successfully with 10 degrees negative flap?

in Flap 0, savannah have still Flaps' drag.

So it doesn't mean that i will have ten deg negative. The design of the 2 first is + 10 ° at the handle, the 3 rd one is 12 ° but at the handle, I need to check the value at the flaps.

Yes, i know one who made this kind of modification with sucess

creat a 3 dr position with more flaps to have less rolling (i expect close around 25 m with a short final 60 km/h, no wind, no breaks)

I have measured an 18m landing roll on a VG. It landed across my airstrip! http://www.aerokits.net.au/ the video is second to last at the bottom of this page.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Hello, I did a last evolution on my savannah, fitting an injection system with a lambda control. testing in progress...

Next step will be changing the electronic ignition for programmable one, and trying to find a good and efficient exhaust, does anybody knows one we can fit easily to change the ICP's one ?

Thank you !

Hi Eric sorry to say there is no off the shelf exhaust for the Sav at all. The current std exhaust chokes the engine and makes one side run hotter than the other.

You could retrofit a 912IS muffler with new pipes but you need to modify the lower cowl. I have done some work on converting a standard Rotax muffler but have not modified a cowl yet

There are a coule of us here playing with a new exhaust straight through without a muffler it connects 2 cylinders into one pipe then the other two into another pipe then those 2 pipes converge into one pipe. The whole assembly is tuned and should give around 5 or so extra horsepower..it maybe load though and a inline muffler maybe needed under the front floor of the Sav

Hi Eric have a look at my blog here Another NEW Savannah XL on its way from post #886 this has what I did with the std rotax muffler. It had more power on the ground but I didnt get the new lower cowl finished....I may do as I have a mold of the lower cowl now to be able to make a new one. I am not too far away from fitting the engine to my latest project My Savannah S model rebuild Blog

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Does any have already tested or have some information about the new termignoni exhaust (volume mluffler for example) ?  Will be serial for each savannah and ventura from november..

• 1 month later...