Throttle control

erd72

Agree, there is essentially no risk that the rods between the manifold axle and the carburators will break. However, as I also have changed the original throttle control sticks to push-pull friction lock controls (AS, A-800) there may be a "weak" spot. This would be the cable end "B" nut which connects the friction control to the manifold axle and the rods. If this breaks or loosens I have to reach over and try to control from the passenger seat. If booth cable ends breaks up then it would be nice to have weak springs that opens the throttles. There are perhaps many more options.

Hasse

Only the 4stroke Rotax's do it as far as I know. Coupled with the use of 2 carbs it's an awkward set-up giving a hard to achieve constant and reliable idle speed. The usual on most engines is a good push pull fairly heavy cable. The biggest risk is the ends not being secured properly, and letting go fully or partially. It's one way to lose an engine without anything being wrong with it. Does anyone ever practice landing a plane with full throttle or ignition OFF as the only option? If you tried it with a hot aircooled motor you could easily wreck it, methinks. Nev

Hi Nev,

Ignition OFF? There won't be any windmilling propeller on a Rotax with gearbox, right? So, at landing, either full throttle or ignition OFF with a silent engine and immobile propeller meaning you need to engage the starter to wake up the engine. Interesting situation! Hasse

Well that's the only control you would have (ignition switch). I agree the engine wouldn't windmill in all probability. Not easy to handle for a low hours pilot especially without practice. Nev