Passengers extra?

This is for arguments sake only. I assure you;).

Rec. aircraft must only have a maximum of 2 seats. OK, but does it say that all passengers must be seated.

I think they need to be wearing seatbelts, but do the seatbelts have to be fitted to the seat, of even to the plane for that matter?

This comes from someone who drives a ute and has been designated driver for excess people.024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

The Cheetah has a big luggage bay.keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Now that is interesting - one would have to troll through the regs and then through the over riding CASA regs about passenger safety to pin it all down.

Guest disperse

so if I buy a 4 seat plane. then remove the 2 rear seats and replace them with a well padded "luggage" area. complete with "luggage straps"

or would I have to ......

Its a good question.... I would have thought the number of bums in a plane must be equal or less than the number of seats available.

On the seat removal issue, I was wondering the same thing about a four seat Jabiru.... whip out the back seats so it can be RAA registered (and have some luggage space for flyaway weekends)

Anyone?

Ben

Guest Flyer40

I don't know the RAAus regs very well, but the CASA regs require that everyone (I think there's an exception for parachute ops) must be seated and belted for take off and landing. That effectively limits the POB to the number of available seats.

The only other authorised exception that I know of is that two children <13 with a combined weight of <77kg can share a seat.

I did this with my kids once and immediately regreted it. It's not safe and I'd never do it again.

A Jab 430 without the two rear seats is just a Jab 230!!!! That's the only difference that I can see from the Jab website. Specifically it states that they have the same fuse and wing, but the 230 has extra luggage space whereas the 430 has the extra seats.

The 430 kit has a (GA) rating of 700kg, the 230 kit has the RAAus rating of 544kg, and the 230C (certified, factory built) apparently has the LSA rating of 600kg! (Well that's what the website seems to say.)

That's correct Allan, same plane. There are quite a number of J230's getting around with seats in the back but no seatbelts. I believe the Ops and Tech managers won't be happy if they spot a J230 with seatbelts in the rear!

Extra pax are a no-go zone unless as stated they are less than the prescribed casa standard passenger weight in the CASA world, but RA ops definitely specify "2-place," so I wouldn't push the boundaries. Even at 600kg's in the J230 you haven't really got enough weight to play with for extra passengers to be legal.

Guest Flyer40

Well just put one seat in it with a refreshment bar, plotting table, entertainment unit and 14 inch sub where the other seat would be. ;)

Guest disperse

slightly serrious here... can 2 seats be removed from a 4seater and then reg RAA?

or even better, just the belts?

and talking about sub woofers ..... what kind of sound system do you have in your plane

In the case of the J430 / J400, yeah sure, you can remove the seatbelts and register as RA-Aus at 544 kilo's. You wouldn't be able to register back as LSA because the seats aren't meant to be there in LSA, but then again if they were removed then maybe if you could convince the inspector that they were never there.

The reason why I 'stretched' and bought the J400 was so I could sell it as a 4 seater or a 2 seater in RA, so leave it GA registered and if the owner wanted RA, then I just fill out some paperwork and away they fly. The idea was to increase the potential number of buyers.

My J400 has a Sony XPLOD stereo with 2 x 80 watters under the front seats facing rearwards and a couple of 180 watters in the sound curtain. It's hooked into the intercom for in-flight and I use it mainly for working on the plane, catching weather forecasts when on the ground, showing off, etc. It has an internally mounted car aerial/rubber ducky which is great for FM. In flight with FM you can listen practically to the same station all the way across NSW with perfect clarity when at 5,000ft+.

Guest Fred Bear
In the case of the J430 / J400, yeah sure, you can remove the seatbelts and register as RA-Aus at 544 kilo's. You wouldn't be able to register back as LSA because the seats aren't meant to be there in LSA, but then again if they were removed then maybe if you could convince the inspector that they were never there.The reason why I 'stretched' and bought the J400 was so I could sell it as a 4 seater or a 2 seater in RA, so leave it GA registered and if the owner wanted RA, then I just fill out some paperwork and away they fly. The idea was to increase the potential number of buyers.

My J400 has a Sony XPLOD stereo with 2 x 80 watters under the front seats facing rearwards and a couple of 180 watters in the sound curtain. It's hooked into the intercom for in-flight and I use it mainly for working on the plane, catching weather forecasts when on the ground, showing off, etc. It has an internally mounted car aerial/rubber ducky which is great for FM. In flight with FM you can listen practically to the same station all the way across NSW with perfect clarity when at 5,000ft+.

Excellent stuff, or "fully sick" even. Now atlast if you have an engine failure you won't know about it 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I was going to run 2 6 by 9 speakers (5 way) from a 50w 4 out head unit wired to a 100w 2 out.

Subs would draw lots more power than the little Jab motor could produce.

Does anyone know if you can get a bigger alternator for a Jabiru 2.2.

Was also thinking of one of those car DVD players for where the GPS would go, then try to wire the GPS into the same screen. Sounds too hard.